+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree146Likes

Thread: 3/10 Amazing Race 22 Episode 4 ""West Coast Spoilers""

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar

Re: 3/10 Amazing Race 22 Episode 4 ""West Coast Spoilers""

Quote Originally Posted by Midol View Post
    Somehow I think it would have been better for the hockey players to do the mud task. I could be wrong.
    They wanted to do the mud task but their cab driver didn't know where that was so they called an audible and did the other one.
    Geisha Ninja Sparkle Dance
    Twirling Ninja Sparkle Dance

Gotta love the Mouse! JORY'sMom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tarfan77 View Post
    IIRC, when Sarah's artificial leg malfunctioned a few years ago, they wouldn't make any accommodations to even help her get it fixed, so I'm guessing no, they will not make any accommodations for Dave.
    What do you guys think about Connor being allowed to push Dave around in a wheelchair at the airport? I mean, realistically, Chuck could probably get down the line quicker if he were pushing Wynonna, but that's not allowed. I don't think it's fair.

To the Point

The wheelchair really didn't bother me because the airport is usually an equalizer anyway. I could see where there might be an issue with it though.
    Midol likes this.

Gotta love the Mouse! JORY'sMom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker View Post
    The wheelchair really didn't bother me because the airport is usually an equalizer anyway. I could see where there might be an issue with it though.
    Equalizer when they are departing, yes. Not so much in my mind for arrival. Just my humble opinion though.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Well, if they didn't already have a rule in place about stealing money dropped by another team (because TPTB never envisioned that happening), they probably didn't have a rule about wheelchairs, either. What did the twins say? "The producers didn't have a problem with us keeping the money, so there was nothing wrong with it." (Yes, I will ALWAYS be aghast at that.)

I think there might have been a violation if Connor wasn't pushing the chair (i.e., having a porter do it so he could run faster). Situations in this show must require TPTB to review the rules a lot.
    NCLurker, Florimel, GabbyG and 2 others like this.

FORT Fogey

If I remember correctly, even with the wheelchair, Dave and Connor were the last of their group to get to the taxis, so it wasn't really an advantage, and had they walked, they still would have beat the teams on the other planes. Also, I imagine any advantage would be balanced by the fact that the other teams can get off the planes much faster than Dave and Connor can, and when it comes to other means of transportation--like the super-crowded buses and trains in some countries--Dave and Connor are going to be at a huge disadvantage. Heck, just walking around tasks is slower for them, not to mention getting to the mats.

When you balance it out, Connor pushing Dave in a wheelchair across an airport doesn't amount to much when it comes to the other disadvantages they face in travel, not to mention the fact that it cuts down on their roadblock choices significantly. I do agree that if they had a porter push the chair, that wouldn't be fair, but as long as Connor is doing the pushing, it's not much of an advantage.

At this point, I really think Connor and Dave are just in it to see how far they can go anyway. I don't think it's very likely that they can make it to the end, and if there are other teams who can't beat them, even given the disadvantage of Dave being on crutches, it's unlikely they'd have won either.

Plus, I think it's really funny that Team Arrogance gave Connor and Dave their extra express pass, figuring they weren't going to be competition anyway, and Connor and Dave used it to win a leg and stay in the race, whereas Team Arrogance ended up going home with their express pass on a leg that Connor and Dave won without an express pass. I bet the conversation at the pit stop that night between the other competitors was really interesting. Too bad AR doesn't have a show reunion. Love to hear Phil ask them about that.
    waywyrd, Florimel, Moontat and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JORY'sMom View Post
    What do you guys think about Connor being allowed to push Dave around in a wheelchair at the airport? I mean, realistically, Chuck could probably get down the line quicker if he were pushing Wynonna, but that's not allowed. I don't think it's fair.
    Dave's injury is a legitimate injury and if the flight attendants offer it to him, then they can accept it. I would expect if Connor ASKED for it that it would be seen as an unfair advantage.

Plus, Dave is by far heavier than Connor and pushing a wheelchair around is NOT easy. Plus you have to factor in possible things such as the chair breaking down itself (don't laugh - this has happened to me after being wheeled to the car after oral surgery), having a bad wheel, waiting for elevators (where the other teams could use escalators or the moving walkways), etc. It's still an equalizer.

And if they or any of the teams used a tram to get from point A to point B then I'd say that's a penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker View Post
    I wouldn't think they'd allow Connor to do every task. The race does have rules about that and I wouldn't think they would break them even for this.
    No and they always have a few tasks where the person does NOT have to use their feet and the like. I would expect Dave to be doing any food or visual/hearing type challenges that do not require the leg. This alone could be a challenge, as we've seen large/gross food challenges, and even in a detour, if they had the "12 min. dinner vs. a running challenge" guess which one they'll be doing? - the Dinner. Not bad save the fact the time they did this challenge it was a lot of food.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    If I remember correctly, even with the wheelchair, Dave and Connor were the last of their group to get to the taxis, so it wasn't really an advantage, and had they walked, they still would have beat the teams on the other planes. Also, I imagine any advantage would be balanced by the fact that the other teams can get off the planes much faster than Dave and Connor can, and when it comes to other means of transportation--like the super-crowded buses and trains in some countries--Dave and Connor are going to be at a huge disadvantage. Heck, just walking around tasks is slower for them, not to mention getting to the mats.

When you balance it out, Connor pushing Dave in a wheelchair across an airport doesn't amount to much when it comes to the other disadvantages they face in travel, not to mention the fact that it cuts down on their roadblock choices significantly. I do agree that if they had a porter push the chair, that wouldn't be fair, but as long as Connor is doing the pushing, it's not much of an advantage.

I have had to push a full-grown adult around in a wheelchair for a sustained length of time, and let me tell you, it's hard. I actually feel sorry every time I see Connor pushing his dad. He must be exhausted before they ever get out of the airport, and then he has to turn around and do the challenges. When it comes to boarding an airplane, I am confused as to how a wheelchair will be an advantage. Unless you mean that they get to sit near the front? That's still not an advantage. People in wheelchairs are deplaned last, so that the other passengers are not inconvenienced. Even if Dave walked off the plane, there's still the sheer physical effort that Connor has to put in while he pushes. That's precisely why they made it to their taxi last when they got to Bali.

At this point, I really think Connor and Dave are just in it to see how far they can go anyway. I don't think it's very likely that they can make it to the end, and if there are other teams who can't beat them, even given the disadvantage of Dave being on crutches, it's unlikely they'd have won either.

Totally agree. I'm very proud of them for doing so.

Plus, I think it's really funny that Team Arrogance gave Connor and Dave their extra express pass, figuring they weren't going to be competition anyway, and Connor and Dave used it to win a leg and stay in the race, whereas Team Arrogance ended up going home with their express pass on a leg that Connor and Dave won without an express pass. I bet the conversation at the pit stop that night between the other competitors was really interesting. Too bad AR doesn't have a show reunion. Love to hear Phil ask them about that.

Great ending! Johnica were on my list of teams I didn't like, so this was my favorite episode so far. If only YouTubers could go next.

And yeah, I'm another one who can see both sides of the surfboard reveal thing. At first I thought Connor was arrogant. Then later at the Pit Stop, some team with the wrong board arrived just after a team with the right board. After wrong team ran off, Phil turned to right team and asked, "You didn't want to show them your board?" Right team just shook their heads. I can imagine they were thinking, "Of course not! This is a competition!" So the Asian girl could have just said no to Connor and kept on running. That's what I probably would have done.

Speaking of showing your board, one team did show their board to a wrong team at the Pit Stop. I was surprised to see that Phil allowed that. Wasn't that a kind of cheating? Is that why he asked the other team about showing their board? I can't remember in which order these scenes happened.

Who was that team who randomly picked the right board? Then admitted at the Pit Stop they had no clue why it was correct? Phil sure didn't look happy about that.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

I just hope this doesn't turn into the Dave and Conner race- instead of the Amazing Race

just sayin
    JORY'sMom and NCLurker like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread