+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: 12/2 TAR 21 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 12/2 TAR 21 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

I soooooo want the Chippies to win this thing! *fingers crossed* LOVE them both!

If they screw things up and don't win, my second choice are the two guys. I love underdogs!!!

I don't want those annoying twins to win a thing. I'm sure they're probably wonderful women BUT they get on my nerves! Too bad it was a nonelimination leg of the race....
    Hyper likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Have the gay teams in the past been referred to as the "gay team"? I'm not trying to be argumentative--I just can't remember. I don't recall anyone else calling the Beekman boys anything but the Beekman boys or the goat farmers or the farmers, but I haven't seen every minute of every episode this season either.
    You are fine. It is healthy to discuss these matters.

I have seem every season of AR USA and a couple of the Asian versions and the Latin American ones. I can't say for certain, but Joe and Bill (AR1, AR11) were called some colorful names, and there was some back and forth in Reichen and Chip season (AR4.)

FORT Fan

I don't think it was necessarily calling them gay (because obviously, they are, and very proud of the fact) but the implication that certain facets of their personality were due ONLY to them being gay. Obviously I wasn't the only one who heard the twins say that the boys had a map because they were gay-whether that was how the twins meant it or not, it sounded like they were saying that all gay people are prepared and organized. If they had said "Oh, of course the farmers have a map" or "Of course the Beekman boys have a map" it wouldn't have been seen as stereotyping, but of course the twins say the first thing that comes to mind and of course that's going to be slightly offensive.

I'm sure other all homosexual teams have been classified as 'the gay' team during the heat of the moment on past seasons, but I honestly can't remember. At this point though, pretty much anything the twins say is going to be analyzed.

CCL

I can't believe they had a full day in Barcelona - a beautiful city - and went to the beach. Waste of time, in my opinion.
    I presumed the headless greeter had to do with surrealism (a la Dali).
    Want to win: Chips.......Trey and Lexie, Team Twinnie........the Beekmans. In that order, and that far apart.
    TAR Canada - yes. That they are just racing around Canada - lame. If Ben Mulroney is the host I'm going to scream.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by pretlitdev View Post
    I don't think it was necessarily calling them gay (because obviously, they are, and very proud of the fact) but the implication that certain facets of their personality were due ONLY to them being gay. Obviously I wasn't the only one who heard the twins say that the boys had a map because they were gay-whether that was how the twins meant it or not, it sounded like they were saying that all gay people are prepared and organized. If they had said "Oh, of course the farmers have a map" or "Of course the Beekman boys have a map" it wouldn't have been seen as stereotyping, but of course the twins say the first thing that comes to mind and of course that's going to be slightly offensive.

I'm sure other all homosexual teams have been classified as 'the gay' team during the heat of the moment on past seasons, but I honestly can't remember. At this point though, pretty much anything the twins say is going to be analyzed.

Oh they definitley made some weir a** derogatory comment about The Beekman boys and the map because my husband and I looked at one another when they said it with ``Did you just hear that?`` reactions. The tone of the comment was smug. IMO, their comments came across as insulting.
    Florimel likes this.
    Sometimes it is better to be kind than it is to be right

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    I think you're right... holding off the stronger of the two for the final challenges makes sense at this point.

Near the beginning of the show, The Chips made the comment that there were two legs left before the final three, so even the racers knew that it was a non-elimination of some sort.

I know a lot of people don't like the Beekman's or performance so far, but I can't help but find myself rooting for them. That was bolstered this week when the three other teams were hugging and saying... "final three! (meaning final three teams, I assume)." It was more than presumptuous and cocky, it was just annoying. Yuck.

Gloves off, go get them Beeks! Otherwise, I'm rooting for the Chips... then Trey and Lexi. What is it about Lexi that bugs me? She does have positive energy, but her non-stop 'support' does tend to remind me of the twins sometimes, and the meltdown over an injured finger was a wee bit over the top... I'm sure it hurt a lot, but suck it up a little and move on, already.
    The finger thing was total drama queen stuff. I don't like them at all, so perhaps I am bias. I just don't want cheats to win. I don't care how `nice`they are or how well they work together. This was the one episode in which I paused a bit on the way The Chippies involved themselves with the whole `we are the three best teams` cheer. But, other than that I have loved them. But, like you I love The Beekmans. They deserve to be there, end of story. Luck has played a part in every one of the final fours experience, not just The Beekmans. I don't think they whine at all. In fact, I was impressed when the one playing tennis got up and said he was going to complete the task even if it meant that his foot was going to fall off and then he totally focused and did it. They aren't weak, they never gave up. So they aren't the most athletic pair, so they won`t beat some of the others in athletic tasks, the point is, despite their athletic weaknesses they still completed every challenge and maybe thats more impressive to me than seeing someone who is athletic finish the task. I say they deserve tremendous respect.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I've seen people, on the internet moreso than in real life, describe things as "lame" or "gay" when neither of the words apply. Like "He keeps duct tuct in his cubicle at work? That's so gay". I wondered if that's what the Twins meant when they were talking about the Beekman's having a map. Not that homosexuality had anything to do with it or being prepared, just another way of saying "Typical" or "Wouldn't you know it?". In any case, them later saying they couldn't believe they were beaten by the gimpy team and they gays was definitely derogatory.
    Face Off 6 Pool: Registration closed
    Amazing Race 24 Pool: Registration closed
    Survivor Cagayan 6 Pool: Registration closed
    Dancing With the Stars 18 Pool: Registration closed
    Click here for general pool information and lists of previous pool winners!

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I've seen people, on the internet moreso than in real life, describe things as "lame" or "gay" when neither of the words apply. Like "He keeps duct tuct in his cubicle at work? That's so gay". I wondered if that's what the Twins meant when they were talking about the Beekman's having a map. Not that homosexuality had anything to do with it or being prepared, just another way of saying "Typical" or "Wouldn't you know it?". In any case, them later saying they couldn't believe they were beaten by the gimpy team and they gays was definitely derogatory.
    I believe about a year ago there was a tv campaign in which young movie stars explained why `thats so gay` is insulting. The same can be said for the way the word retarded is thrown around. Neither is ever used as a compliment, but only as an insult, therefore its hurtful/insulting to the communities attached to tho word. I think thats where the problem lies. People are desensitized to or do not care about how these phrases can truly cut into another human beings heart, either directly or by association.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post

Yes, the gay/map quote was borderline derogatory, but that's it. It was that second quote that really chapped my hide. That time, the use of "gay" was definitely derogatory, and "gimp" used to be an extremely derogative way to refer to those who walked with a limp. Way to go, Twinnies. You just managed to insult two groups at once.

And if I were told by a male team, "Man it sucks that a girl team beat us," then I would hope my partner were Rachel from last season so she could beat the crud out of them.

Tilden:

You know, I really wish the Chippies weren't so friendly with L/T and the Twinnies. I wonder if they would be, if they knew what had happened to Team Hair.
    My feelings for Chips are all over the map. I really love their sweet personalities, and I totally want them to win. OTOH, it makes me cringe to see them act as best buds with Texas and Twins. I totally thought that, too, Tilden, while they were frolicking together. "Would you want to be around these people if you really knew them?" I just pray that the reason they hang around with the others is because they're too sweet and naive for their own good.

There's something so ingenuous about all the other teams hugging and cheering for the Beekman boys, when the main reason they're happy they're there is that it means a stronger team was eliminated. It's like "Yeah! We're so glad to see you because we know how easy you'll be to beat!"
    I know, that just felt scuzzy.

I'd so pay for one of the devils to get in the Twinnies and T/L's faces and scream, in English, "WE KNOW WHAT YOU DID!"

Can you imagine the looks on their faces?
    I don't think the Twins would have given a toss. Anyone who can laugh about their dishonesty and not care about another team's misery clearly has no morals. However, I really wish that the devils had gotten into Texas' faces. If you remember, they hesitated and had to be talked into it by the Twins. Trey, especially, didn't like it. I wonder if being confronted by the devils would have pricked Trey's guilty conscience. Or has winning so many legs has made him justify the dirty deed to himself? Either way, I'm with the others who have said I don't care how wonderful they are (same with the Twins). Such blatant dishonesty is disgusting, and I think it would be just punishment if, after all they did to win, they still lost.

And I'm sorry, but I just have to add this. "At least they take responsibility for their failures." Yes, but not their moral failures. "We wouldn't have taken the money, you know, but it was a RACE. And we would have returned it, you know, but it was a RACE." Oh...my...gosh. Past teams have irritated me, but I loathe these two. I loathe Texas just as much . Not only did they ultimately squash their conscience and participate in the theft, but then they laughed about it, and they laughed about getting revenge on A & R. AND to make things worse, at the time of the theft, Twins made a reference to Texas' religion. ("Oh, well, you two can pray for us." Giggle, giggle.) I simply fail to see how two people who claim to follow a God who said "Do unto others as you would have them do to you," and "Thou shalt not steal," could thoroughly abandon that for money. For me, that was the worst part of all.

Karma can work in a good way, too. I was SO glad that Chips ended up at the windmill. Seeing them in those construction outfits almost redeemed the episode for me. And seeing them race through the task was revenge for Lexi's snarky remark about maybe they'll get lost. The only thing that marred my joy was Chips not beating them to the mat. (And how did that happen, anyway, since Texas lost time with her injury?) I absolutely want Chips to win.

Same thing with the Farmers. I LOL when the Twins looked up and realized the Farmers were at the same task. I rooted for the Farmers the entire time. I cheered when they raced off and beat the Twins to the mat. Now that was comeuppance. And while I don't necessarily want the Farmers to win, it would make the season for me if they managed to beat Twins or Texas. (I really hope that line "Have fun at the Speed Bump!" is foreshadowing.)
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    TAR Canada - yes. That they are just racing around Canada - lame. If Ben Mulroney is the host I'm going to scream.
    Oh my gosh, bite your tongue, don't give them any ideas!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Brainy is the new sexy ~Irene Adler, Sherlock.

+ Reply to Thread