+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: 11/18 TAR 21 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 11/18 TAR 21 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post

Ahhhh!! Yes! I googled it... and in May and June (race was run May 26-June 16) the sun doesn't set until 10pm in Russia! Awesome- thanks for that! I can't beleive I didn't think of it. It's also weird to think the race is run in 21 days. It takes so many weeks to actually watch the episodes that it seems they are away from home for so long, but in actuality, it's only 3-4 weeks.
    That is really weird! In my mind I always imagined they were racing for 6 weeks.
    In reality, it's half the time I thought.
    How exhausting!
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Thanks for the explanation...wow, I wonder how he broke a bone in each leg? That could not have been fun!! There's no way he would have been able to do the russian dancing challenge, that's for sure.

I hope future racers think to bring along little ziplock baggies to put their passports in, if this type of situation arises again... but why don't they have the fanny packs we usually see?? That would have kept the passport dry, no?

And if he had continued to race, he would have damaged his legs even more, leading to who-knows-what long-term damage. So, FOR NOW, it's for the best that they take a break. I really wish that people would lobby CBS to do the right thing and let them return, though. And if the nasty Twins or cowardly Texas wins, well, the Rockers can at least say like the Cowboys, "At least we raced with honor." And as the Bible says, "What good is it to gain the whole world, if you've lost your soul?"

Speaking of which, I'm sorry if my remarks sounded harsh above. I thought the Cowboys would always be my favorite team, but they just been edged out by the Rockers. I will be the first person to cheer if they are allowed to come back.

Interesting about the visa. It's just their bad luck that the incident happened in a non-Western country.

I didn't know the show used to give contestants fanny packs. Even if they didn't, it would be the first thing on my list to buy if I were chosen to go on the show.
    jucamer likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Newsboi View Post
    On a radio interview today, Abba said that he got a new passport within a day (it was a national holiday in Russia) but that it took six days to get a visa -- you need both. So they had "a six day holiday in Russia" before they could come home. The reason that he put his passport in his backpack instead of keeping it on him is that he was wet from the swimming (no towels) and he wanted to keep it dry. He said that he had never put it there before and that they had never not taken their backpacks with them, but that the clue stand was so close that they just jumped out without thinking. He also said that he is still in two leg casts. It wasn't bad knees slowing him down, but two broken bones (one in each leg) that he was racing on. They both said that if there is an All-stars they would do it again in a heartbeat. Great guys!
    Were they asked whether they knew the twins had stolen their money?

FORT Fan

"Were they asked whether they knew the twins had stolen their money?"

Yes. And, no they did not know until they watched the show on Sunday. As to the fanny pack, Abba explained that it's mandatory to race with it, but that it isn't a regular fanny pack, but more a hikers pack. He said that it is so big that it was getting in the way of their back pack straps so they had just waded it up and put it in their back pack. He also said that the microphone pak strapped around their waist gets in the way. It was a very insightful interview.
    AZChristian likes this.
    Trust Me!

FORT Fogey

Two broken legs? And he was still managing that well? Man, talk about an ability to tolerate pain. But where were the show's medics? Didn't they ever check him out?

And I agree with those who feel that it's impossible to know whether it would have been better to keep racing for the dad with cancer or to go back home immediately. There's just no way to know that with as little information as we have about the situation. Everyone deals with dying/death differently. There's just not one right way to do it.
    jucamer likes this.

FORT Fogey

I just read several on-line interviews with Abba and James, and now I admire them even more. They have a really good attitude about everything that happened to them.

I agree that if they ever do another all-star season, they should definitely be asked back. They are all-stars in their own right and probably would have done much better on the race if not for some bad breaks. They also explain what happened with the passport and why they left it in the bag in the taxi. I can see where what they did might have made sense for them at the time, though even in their explanation, they don't blame anyone but themselves for what happened (okay, they blame the cabbie some, but really, he did drive off with their stuff, and I think it's perfectly acceptable to point out that that's theft).

One of the interviews also clarifies that the other teams really didn't know what was going on with them or what had happened to their money in Bangladesh. They've gotten e-mails since from some of the other teams, who didn't know what had happened until the episodes aired. Interestingly, the two of them, while not harboring any grudges, are apparently more disappointed in Team UT than in the twins, because, as one of the two of them put it, they really didn't expect that from the Texans. They were also surprised, because they had thought they had decent relationships with both those teams and that one of them (Abba, I think) had totally been blaming himself for losing the money, thinking it had fallen out of his pack on the bus. Apparently they weren't using the fanny packs (and I notice a lot of teams aren't), because they were larger and awkward and kept getting caught up on their mike packs. The rules are that they have to keep the fanny packs with them, but they don't say how, so Team Hair were just carrying them in their backpacks.
    sclilred1 likes this.

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

Yes, their attitude is amazing, and I think this quote from Abba says a lot, "I don't condone what happened. I think under the circumstances that we were the only people in there, it was a substantial amount of American money, and they knew it was, and so I'm disappointed, kind of shocked at Trey and Lexi. Not so shocked at the twins."

I've had a "feeling" about them since before they stole the money. This seems to confirm that they weren't well thought of by at least some of the racers.
    sweetpea, sclilred1 and jucamer like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Yes, their attitude is amazing, and I think this quote from Abba says a lot, "I don't condone what happened. I think under the circumstances that we were the only people in there, it was a substantial amount of American money, and they knew it was, and so I'm disappointed, kind of shocked at Trey and Lexi. Not so shocked at the twins."

I've had a "feeling" about them since before they stole the money. This seems to confirm that they weren't well thought of by at least some of the racers.
    I think it's been made pretty evident at some of the roadblocks that not all of the teams are thrilled with Natalya's constant shrieks of encouragement. Can't say that I blame them. I'm not overly fond of being around people (or anything, really) that's overly, consistently loud. I'm not freaked out by it, so it's not a phobia, but I just find it aggravating, the same way I don't like overly crowded events or long lines--hence, Black Friday sales hold no appeal for me. And if I or my partner were trying to concentrate on a task and had to listen to the constant "TWINNIE!" chatter, I'd not be overly fond of them. Whether it's their personalties or gameplay or some combination of both, I just wouldn't care for it. And if it's game play, I really don't see why they need to indulge in it, since they're constantly talking about what a great team they are too, and to be fair, they have been competitive. So why not just be competitive and stop resorting to mind games or ethically questionable behavior?
    sclilred1 and AZChristian like this.

After thinking about it for a while, I've decided to give the Texas twosome a very slight bit of slack over the stolen money. They were certainly wrong to go along with it, but my reason is that I don't think they would have instigated the scheme if they had been the ones to find the money. I think they made a very poor choice in allowing the twins to bully them into taking half.
    Shoepie likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    After thinking about it for a while, I've decided to give the Texas twosome a very slight bit of slack over the stolen money. They were certainly wrong to go along with it, but my reason is that I don't think they would have instigated the scheme if they had been the ones to find the money. I think they made a very poor choice in allowing the twins to bully them into taking half.
    I am so torn over the way I feel....The Twins hold full responsibility for picking the money up and making the choice to keep it & Trey & Lexi hold full responsibility for choosing to become party to it. Both were wrong. I really don't think Trey & Lexi would have just kept the money had they been the ones to find it, but really, what do I know?! That may be just my perception. It is what it is. A done deal.

+ Reply to Thread