+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: 11/11- TAR 21 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: 11/11- TAR 21 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    . . . that hour quickly gets reduced by the time you take into consideration things like getting off the plane . . .
    And the more you need to hurry, the farther back in the plane you are, and the slower the people are in front of you. An hour layover during an urgent trip would NOT be a good idea, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    And the more you need to hurry, the farther back in the plane you are, and the slower the people are in front of you. An hour layover during an urgent trip would NOT be a good idea, IMO.
    Yep. I can always tell where my connecting gate will be by the amount of time I have to get there...for a three-hour layover, it's right next door, but for an hour layover (reduced by delays), it's usually in a different terminal at the far end.
    justCoz and AZChristian like this.

FORT Fogey

I just had a thought about A/R and the farmers working together. Do you suppose AR has a rule about what happens if two teams arrive at the mat simultaneously? I would guess dead heats would be pretty unusual, but you'd think they'd have to have something in place just in case it happened, wouldn't you?

I believe the reason the last two teams picked the swimming task was because the library was closed. They didn't have a choice. It sounded like they would have picked that task if they could have.

I don't like the twinnies. They're on my last nerve. To be fair they aren't as bad as some other teams we've had over the years. I don't dislike the goat farmers but they aren't making me like them either.

I like team metal but I feel bad for them. One's father is dying. Even if you know it's happening it can be distracting. At least I know I felt that way last year when my grandmother was dying. I live in a different state, and have family and work obligations here. The race is tiring anyhow and I can't imagine going through all the emotions of a loved one's death at the same time. And then the other one is in obvious pain. That they are maintaining any semblance of strive to keep racing is impressive.
    redsox girl and sparklete like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz View Post
    I believe the reason the last two teams picked the swimming task was because the library was closed. They didn't have a choice. It sounded like they would have picked that task if they could have.

I don't like the twinnies. They're on my last nerve. To be fair they aren't as bad as some other teams we've had over the years. I don't dislike the goat farmers but they aren't making me like them either.

I like team metal but I feel bad for them. One's father is dying. Even if you know it's happening it can be distracting. At least I know I felt that way last year when my grandmother was dying. I live in a different state, and have family and work obligations here. The race is tiring anyhow and I can't imagine going through all the emotions of a loved one's death at the same time. And then the other one is in obvious pain. That they are maintaining any semblance of strive to keep racing is impressive.
    I also like the fact that Team Hair, despite the physical and emotional pain they have to be in, are remaining relatively calm about everything that's happening to them. And really, if they're at all close, and they appear to be, they each have to be sympathizing with the other and feeling bad for him, in addition to dealing with their own personal difficulties.

I also agree that the death or impending death of a parent (or anyone close to you) can really affect you in ways you can't predict. I completely understand someone being distracted or not thinking as clearly as he/she might otherwise under those circumstances.
    redsox girl and sparklete like this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I also agree that the death or impending death of a parent (or anyone close to you) can really affect you in ways you can't predict. I completely understand someone being distracted or not thinking as clearly as he/she might otherwise under those circumstances.
    Does anyone remember if it was common knowledge among all the racers that one of the Team Metal guys had this crisis going on? If it was known, it makes the Twisted Sisters' behavior even MORE reprehensible (if that's possible).
    holly71, Florimel and redsox girl like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Does anyone remember if it was common knowledge among all the racers that one of the Team Metal guys had this crisis going on? If it was known, it makes the Twisted Sisters' behavior even MORE reprehensible (if that's possible).
    I have no idea. You'd think the teams would probably interact some at the various pitstops, since they're generally there overnight. But it would depend on whether Team Metal was willing to share that news too. Some people prefer to keep such things private, while others are more open about sharing. I'm just glad they have each other. If it were a competition situation where everyone there was a relatively new acquaintance, I'd think that would be much harder.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Well, at least this time not everyone will be on the same flight.

What is with Team Texas wandering about the airport getting something to eat instead of booking a flight? And who doesn't know Aeroflot is the major Russian airline? Have they never watched this show? On the other hand, I was surprised that the Istanbul airport has a Popeyes.
    I wouldn't know about Aeroflot. I've watched the Amazing Race for many seasons but I guess the names of the airlines never registered. It wasn't important to me.

I sure wouldn't be eating at a Popeye's while traveling. I tend to get motion sickness and an upset stomach in general when flying (I think it's from anxiety) so I would be sick as a dog if I ate chicken and red beans and rice and be paying for it the rest of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    I travel a lot, and the absolute minimum I'll look for in a layover is an hour...and that's if I'm continuing on the same airline in the same terminal. (And even then, it can work against me...the United Terminal in Denver is really long, and I've had trips where I arrive at gate 20 and depart from gate 80.) And all of those connecting airports are huge, so even if there are no delays, that hour quickly gets reduced by the time you take into consideration things like getting off the plane, figuring out where to go once you get into the terminal, etc.

But...this is also the difference between people who fly a lot and people who don't. I can't even tell you the number of times I've heard, "How exciting! You travel for business...it must be wonderful!" But get stuck in enough places for a variety of reasons and travel just isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Wow, that's one of the places where I worked! Cool! And you're so right. 2 out of the 4 times I missed a flight was because I had to race down a terminal after my first flight was delayed. A third time I almost didn't make it because our flight got stuck out on the tarmac upon landing. Turns out there were too many planes and not enough ramp agents. So yeah, even in the best case scenario of your flight arriving on time, Lord knows what can happen to screw things up.

And yes, the UA terminal in Denver is terribly long. If we knew a passenger was racing to catch our flight, my fellow agents and I would root for them.
    TripleGemini likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Shoepie: One of their fathers is dying. It has been expected and a long haul. The call was to let him know his time has come. I believe he knew this possibility when he left for this race. He most likely said good bye before he left. His father insisted on it.

Shoepie, I get what you are saying and see where you are coming from in terms of pure game play. It is my understanding though that even though they knew he was sick when they left, they did not know to what degree the cancer had spread. They then received a skype message from a relative saying the father had been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and that it was terminal. To me, and this is just from my perspective, they both seemed to want to go home at that point and perhaps would have had the relative not told them the dad wanted them to continue to compete. As I wrote, when my parent was dying from bone cancer I felt so much stress, helplessness and sadness it was very hard to concentrate for long periods of time. I was forgetful and distracted. I can only imagine how much more I would be affected if I was half way around the world. I believe the mistake made by the rockers is directly influenced by the aforementioned distraction and therefore I cant criticize their play. It isn't stupidity, IMO, that is their problem, it's the emotional upheaval they are dealing with and to me that is a legitimate reason for their two miscues. And yes, the bum leg, too. You can tell by his gait, he's hurting. So, I was impressed they made it through the synchronized swimming routine. Thanks for explaining to me where you are coming from, I appreciate it.
    holly71, Florimel, Shoepie and 1 others like this.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

+ Reply to Thread