View Poll Results: Were the twins wrong in keeping the money?

Voters
185. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it was stealing and/or wrong

166 89.73%
  • No, the money was anyone's to take

13 7.03%
  • Not sure

6 3.24%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree137Likes

Thread: Were the twins wrong to keep the money?

Re: Were the twins wrong to keep the money?

The thing is though, the loss of the money obviously slowed team hair down, but not by much as they made it on the same flight as the twins and beat them to the mat to boot. If a team lost their clue, outlining where to go next, and another team found it and hid it, then yes that might slow someone down enough to boot them to the bottom and out. And with a competitive team like team hair, who have won first place twice, it might be a strategy worth doing if you want to run the race that way. But taking their cash and giggling about it, as if they were going to go on an unexpected shopping spree, just strikes me as different somehow. I can't explain the difference, but that's how I feel about the situation. I think they were wrong.
    Shoepie and AZChristian like this.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    But taking their cash and giggling about it, as if they were going to go on an unexpected shopping spree, just strikes me as different somehow. I can't explain the difference, but that's how I feel about the situation. I think they were wrong.
    It's different because the whole speculation that the Twisted Sisters took the money as part of a gameplay is a canard fabricated to muddy the water. There is absolutely no reason to think this was game strategy on the part of the two teams. In fact, every thing we saw in the show leads to only one conclusion, they stole the money for their own personal gain. Now, if someone knows of a press release from the producers that says they edited out the part where the Twisted Sisters discussed how taking the money would advance them in the game I'm willing to revise my opinion of the 4 thieves. Until then, I'm going with what my eyes and ears witnessed.
    sweetpea, Shoepie and AZChristian like this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

I did read that Phil has said it was not an illegal play for them to keep the money. Morally is another story.
    holly71 and Shoepie like this.
    There's no place like home!

This reminds me of Survivor: Pearl Islands, when Rupert stole the shoes from the other tribe and traded them for stuff. I remember people absolutely loving that. But now that something a little similar happens in TAR, with the girls finding money and keeping it for themselves, suddenly they're the devil or something. Just something I thought to mention.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

That was different because the opposing tribe stupidly left their shoes with Rupert. It's one thing to leave them with a member of your own tribe but why would someone on the other tribe do a favor for you? James and Abba didn't hand their money to the Twinnies and say "Watch this for us until we get back". Their money fell out of their pack and before they realized it was gone, the twins swooped it up and didn't tell them about it. They looked for it but it was no longer where they dropped it. Totally different story!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    This reminds me of Survivor: Pearl Islands, when Rupert stole the shoes from the other tribe and traded them for stuff. I remember people absolutely loving that. But now that something a little similar happens in TAR, with the girls finding money and keeping it for themselves, suddenly they're the devil or something. Just something I thought to mention.
    While I very much liked Rupert in his season, I did not like when he did that. Theft is theft and has no place in game play for me. I have to wonder what the twins reaction would have been had someone done it them.

Then we wonder why our students think it's okay to cheat, our politicians think it's okay to lie and cover up, our business men think it's okay to cheat their customers, investors, and employees, and athletes think it's okay to take PED's. They are all doing it for now or future money after all.
    sclilred1 and sparklete like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

For me, the difference is that Survivor has, from the get go, made it clear that their show has no rules, or minimal rules at best. Lying and manipulation are part and parcel of Survivor and everyone, including the contestants, know that. Over the course of AR, there have been a lot more situations in which contestants have been penalized for breaking rules, which implies that they have more rules by which to abide. For instance, the Globetrotters were penalized for moving that pack, even though they didn't do it maliciously. On Survivor, contestants have taken or hidden or even destroyed belongings, even things that should have belonged to the entire team, and it's never been suggested that any of that was against the rules. On Rupert's season, the contestants were even compared to pirates by TPTB themselves, and Rupert repeated that comparison when he stole the shoes, saying that if he was a pirate, well, pirates stole, didn't they?

As a result, when I see something like theft happen on AR, I think, "Whoa. Aren't they going to receive a penalty for that?" I don't necessarily think the same thing when I watch Survivor, because I know that on Survivor, unless you actually start smacking someone around, you aren't likely to be penalized for anything.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

It's hilarous to me that we're only a few days away from the next episode and this debate is still going on!

Honestly, as far as I can see it, what Rupert did was far worse than what the twins did here. He knowingly stole things from the other team, he went in there knowing what he was doing and with every intention. The twins did not go in there with the intention to steal, which they technically didn't. They found the money, and apparently the rules say they're not required to return it, as I imagine they actually would be required to return something such as passports they find missing from another team. If they're not required to return it, I may not like them keeping the money for further down the road, but I really can't blame them.

I also ponder if people are furious at them because of who they are, as in a team that has annoyed people with their loudness. Makes me wonder, for example, if Rob Mariano fans would've been positively giddy had he been the one to find and keep the money.

Apparently we're just going to have to agree to disagree on the subject.
    Florimel likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast