+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: 10/28 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: 10/28 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Thanks for the clarification pretlitdev. As I said, I don't pay as much attention as I sometimes should.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I realized last night that if they had paired Nadia, the less vocally annoying of the twins, with Kelly, the female half of the monster truckers, I'd probably have much less trouble with that team. So, it's really not that I don't like the twins or the monster truckers. It's just that half of each team seriously gets on my nerves for being so loud all the time.

Well, that and the fact that I've officially learned to despise the word "twinnie." And even though Ryan can be obnoxious too, I did think it was kind of funny when Natalie got upset when he said "C'mon, twinnie!" because she though Nadia would think it was her. I would think by now that Nadia has simply learned to tune out Natalie at least half the time, just for sanity's sake.
    Loved your re-making of the teams, and agree with you 100%. Then the loud twin and the guy with the fauxhawk could scream at each other or anyone else within hearing distance (about 10 miles?).

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Thanks for the clarification pretlitdev. As I said, I don't pay as much attention as I sometimes should.

Loved your re-making of the teams, and agree with you 100%. Then the loud twin and the guy with the fauxhawk could scream at each other or anyone else within hearing distance (about 10 miles?).
    Out of curiosity, I went and read the twins' profiles. Nadia said the thing that annoys her most about Natalie is that she's too pushy and always thinks she's right. Natalie said the thing that annoys her most about Nadia is that she's too laid back and lazy and doesn't listen to her even when she knows she's right. I'd say by those descriptions that Nadia isn't always thrilled by Natalie's attitude either. Nadia also said the celebrity who most reminds her of herself is Khloe Kardashian and the celebrity who most reminds her of her sister is Kim Kardashian.

The word they used is deragatory. It is no different than using a term for another race that is inappropriate. If it was not a deragatory then the twin would not have had to reference it, by saying it was not. I am not going to give her a break on this one.
    Florimel and Hyper like this.
    There's no place like home!

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    My three favourite teams at this point are: Team Hair (Heavy Metal), Trey and Lexi, and the Twins.
    I'm with you on the first two.

Whenever I think of bamboo I think of light furniture so I presume the racers were thinking the same. I wouldn't have been thinking of ten-foot long poles.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Regular

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but in defence of Jaymes' “flavor” comment about N & N last week, I really think he meant it in terms of her personality (feisty/spicy) rather than anything to do with ethnicity. Natalie reminds me of a chilli padi, some may like it, too hot to handle for others.

I did like how the twins high-fived Chippies at the Detour task, who seems to be on good terms with most other teams. The only bad blood boiling I see atm is between the twins and Ryan/Abbie.

Kelly from Monster Truck Team rocks! Too bad I can't say the same of her partner.

Glad it was an NEL as well. Goat farmers may not be a physical team but really like how they support each other and how Brent stuck at the RB task even though he was physically/emotionally drained. And the animal leading them to the correct pile of bamboo at the Detour? The term "Goat Whisperer" just popped to my mind.

Oh, and in the preview, Jaymes' expression when the cold water was poured on him was simply priceless. Can't wait for next week.
    march likes this.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    The word they used is deragatory. It is no different than using a term for another race that is inappropriate. If it was not a deragatory then the twin would not have had to reference it, by saying it was not. I am not going to give her a break on this one.
    Again, JMO, but I have to disagree. This isn't a show that uses subtitles when contestants speak a language besides English, so unless the racers are asked what it means, the audience never knows. What I saw happening was this: The twins used a word in a language they spoke but most Americans don't, either knowing or hoping that their cab driver also spoke it and as a way to endear themselves to him and possibly give them a leg up. While travelling to the roadblock, the camera crew interviewed them about that word, probably because of the things they said about Abbie and Ryan at the Pit Stop last week and because they suspected it might be an insult. The twins explained what it means and that it does not have a negative connotation. They probably used the word derogatory because it was a word used by the crew interviewing them. Remember, most of the things said in reality tv interviews have been prompted by very leading questions.

Turning to the internet, I found confirmation that 'gora' simply means white person-with no negative connotations- or in some circumstances, foreigner. Again, I think the twins were trying to get the taxi driver to identify with them so he might be more inclined to help or work harder than he might have otherwise. Smart strategy

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

From Wikipedia: "The term gora is often used by British Asians and among English-speaking South Asians in the Subcontinent to refer to white people, the feminine form being gori. The plural term gore is also used to refer to white people of both genders. In this form it has taken on racial connotations so has acquired the status of a slur, though it is not inherently pejorative."

So it could go either way . . . but IMO it felt like a pejorative in the context that it was being used it. Kind of like the "flavor" comment last week - we can't know for sure what was in the mind of the person who made the comment.

I have no problems with people using color to describe folks - people are going to be black or white. I felt in the case of the Twins, it was to a. alert the driver as to who they're following (as it'd be obvious the passengers were not Bangledesh), and b. to possible get help from the man - which in a heavily Muslim community can be hard if you're a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Duff View Post
    Sorry if this has been mentioned, but in defence of Jaymes' “flavor” comment about N & N last week, I really think he meant it in terms of her personality (feisty/spicy) rather than anything to do with ethnicity. Natalie reminds me of a chilli padi, some may like it, too hot to handle for others.
    That was what I thought he meant when I heard it too.
    NCLurker and Duff like this.

Honestly, I saw nothing racial about the twins' comment either. And I keep seeing Natalie as the louder twin, not Nadiya. Compare Natalie in the Roadblock last night as she rooted for Nadiya, to when Nadiya was rooting for Natalie at the previous episode, much louder and constant.

Plus it also seems that Abbie & Ryan, or as I call them, Bland & Jerk, are really the only ones annoyed by the TwiNNies loudness. Now that I saw last episode again, the only ones who showed annoyance in the bus Roadblock were Bland & Jerk, while J Blond (I call the chips Jay Blonde & Jay Brunette since they have the same name) enthusiastically joined Nadiya in shouting "Long, strong and hard!" very possibly due to double entendre. The TwiNNies and the Jay Chips high fiving each other during one of this week's task lead me to believe they get along and are in good terms.

And I personally saw the interaction with Natalie and Jerk in the Roadblock task in a different way. Ryan instantly started acting like the jerk he is, asking if she's going to start screaming, her replying with a "Maybe" while giggling. And then Ryan starts screaming in an imitation of Natalie, which doesn't really stop Natalie from rooting for her sister and even some children joining in that, which was so cute. It was only later in an interview that Ryan was being a jerk, which honestly, I see him as a jerk too, his whining about not arriving in first place perfectly showing that. I still wonder just what happened off camera between these two teams to make them dislike each other like that.

+ Reply to Thread