+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: 10/21 TAR 21 Show Thread: Episode 4 **West Coast Spoilers**

To the Point

Re: 10/21 TAR 21 Show Thread: Episode 4 **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    If my twin was yelling "twinnie" at me all the time, I'd stop what I was doing and give her a talking to...but to each twin her own. Just like Jaymes's flavour comment last night...the guy seemed to be checking out one of the twins and Jaymes was commenting on it. Personally I didn't find it offensive, but others see differently.
    I totally agree with this. I also didn't find it to be particularly racist in that instance because what I saw was Jaymes responding to not only the way the twin was yelling at her sister, but also the way the locals were reacting. That particular guy was very obviously reacting to the sisters interactions with one another as if he wasn't quite sure what to think but couldn't look away. The comment was more what I would expect from a normal 20 something guy to any other male having that reaction. I don't think he gave one thought to race at that point. I could be wrong, but if I'm wrong I certainly would rather it be on the side of not reading too much into it.

I can still appreciate the twins ability to get it done, but man, they really need to turn the volume down. And I don't remember who was pointing out it was only a couple of teams reacting so visibly to the twins during the bus challenge, but I saw ALL the teams there reacting to some degree.
    Florimel and sclilred1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker View Post
    I totally agree with this. I also didn't find it to be particularly racist in that instance because what I saw was Jaymes responding to not only the way the twin was yelling at her sister, but also the way the locals were reacting. That particular guy was very obviously reacting to the sisters interactions with one another as if he wasn't quite sure what to think but couldn't look away. The comment was more what I would expect from a normal 20 something guy to any other male having that reaction. I don't think he gave one thought to race at that point. I could be wrong, but if I'm wrong I certainly would rather it be on the side of not reading too much into it.

That's pretty much how I saw it. Honestly, I didn't even remember it right after the episode. When people here started pointing it out, I decided that on balance, since these guys have been portrayed positively so far, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Racism is a very serious charge and I would never accuse anybody unless I had firm evidence.
    holly71, march, Florimel and 2 others like this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

FORT Regular

Really surprised that 3 to 4 teams arrived before team Metal and they were unwilling to go for the FF. I could understand that the women may be afraid it's a hair-cut task, but the Chips? Oh well, perhaps given their profession, bald dancers may not be as appealing to the ladies.

I still like the Chips, though they really need to step it up at challenges. I was disappointed they went for the cotton instead of the metal route at RB. Also, I feel that Jaymes needs to reign in his chirpiness a bit.

Not a fan of the twins, period. Pardon me if I'm mistaken, but I thought I heard one said "Those idiots are ahead of us" in reference to Abbie and Ryan at the RB. Umm, in what way are those two "idiots"? For coming in first twice compared to your one? I felt that was more thoughless/degrading than Jaymes 'flavor' comment. They may kick ass at challenges, but I would be totally miffed at their constant yelling if I were a contestant
    Florimel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    That's pretty much how I saw it. Honestly, I didn't even remember it right after the episode. When people here started pointing it out, I decided that on balance, since these guys have been portrayed positively so far, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Racism is a very serious charge and I would never accuse anybody unless I had firm evidence.
    I totally agree. This is how guys tend to talk to one another. I didn't even see it as a reference to skin color, but about her personality. Afterall the guy was looking at her, and I doubt even he cared about skin color but more about the antics she was creating. Nothing racist about it at all IMO.

I was glad to see the *super fans* go. I found them irritating, plus the tall guy's attitude was awful. The twinie bit was getting my nerves too. I would have been air shooting at my head too if I had been there lol
    NCLurker and Florimel like this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    I didnt see racism, it just sounded sort of sleazy , and I dont think the guy had a clue what he was saying. I heard it, and I didn't like it( shrug) . But then I don't dislike Monster truck guy, because he said once, just once, you lost me a million dollars, like that hasn't been said before
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by wannasee View Post
    I really like and laugh at the J's, so that really took me by surprise - I did the aural equivalent of a double-take. I don't know, though...is the blonde J. gay? Maybe by flavor, he meant girls...
    One of them is gay... and that is exactly how I took it. It didn't even dawn on me that it may be taken as racist until I read it here.
    Florimel likes this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

There are so many things I know little to nothing about - thank goodness for Google.

But.

In an attempt to see if "flavor" might be a common euphemism for sexual preference, I googled "flavor sexual orientation."

The results were NOT something that was good to have pop up on a company-owned computer. Just sayin'.
    wannasee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    There are so many things I know little to nothing about - thank goodness for Google.

But.

In an attempt to see if "flavor" might be a common euphemism for sexual preference, I googled "flavor sexual orientation."

The results were NOT something that was good to have pop up on a company-owned computer. Just sayin'.
    LOL Isn't that the name of the stuff they hawk on Loveline? (I listen driving home from the late shift and those radio spots crack me up!) I can only imagine what else might show up in a search.
    AZChristian likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Maybe Chippendales call the featured dancer the flavor of the month and that's where he got it from.

I don't know. I wasn't offended by it, I just thought it was stupid.

The entire point of a reality series is that a camera man follows you around and films everything you say. In the middle of a day long competition in miserable conditions you say what you say. Personally, I have heard a lot worse at work and I have learned to either ignore it or give it right back. The only one I find offensive is Faux Hawk Man (Team Monster Truck) because to me he is a big bully.

I must say though that I do think using wheelies on their luggage is very smart of Team Monster Truck but I can't see Faux Hawk winning a race to the finale against any of the younger teams.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread