+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Mark and Bopper TAR 20

Re: Mark and Bopper TAR 20

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    This would hold valid too because IIRC they have to get a SAG card or its equivalent because they are technically actors and if so, they would have to get a minimum amount of pay becuase they are in essence union workers.

Mind you this is my understanding - it doesn't mean this is correct.
    I am fairly certain that average reality show contestants are not members of SAG or AFTRA (American Federation of Television and Radio Artists). One reason why it is so cheap and lucrative to produce reality shows is because production companies are not saddled with having to pay participants union wages. This includes reality shows that feature children. Unlike child actors who are members of SAG, children in reality programming are not protected by Coogan Laws, other state laws, or a union that would guarantee some protection of their wages and oversight of their work conditions. A few states have begun to address this issue.

None of this applies to famous reality TV celebrities such as the Kardashians, however, who no-doubt would be union members.

Wow, I sure hope that Mark really lands on his feet. But as I told a coworker the night he and Bopper won the 1st place, I'd pay to see a CBS special on their vacation to Hawaii! They really touched my heart, I hope something comes through for them.
    jucamer and sparklete like this.

Teach your children well Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain View Post
    I am fairly certain that average reality show contestants are not members of SAG or AFTRA (American Federation of Television and Radio Artists).
    In the past, if you appeared on any show, including game shows like The Gong show. in more that one or two episodes, you had to join a union. You could get a Taft/Hartley exemption for the first and second appearances, but HAD to join the union after that. I have no idea what the current practices are.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    In the past, if you appeared on any show, including game shows like The Gong show. in more that one or two episodes, you had to join a union. You could get a Taft/Hartley exemption for the first and second appearances, but HAD to join the union after that. I have no idea what the current practices are.
    It is difficult trying to find clear information on this subject. This is probably because the decision to participate in SAG or AFTRA contracts was left up to individual networks and/or production companies. I have read that some reality shows, like Survivor, The Amazing Race, American Idol and The Voice, are covered under AFTRA contracts, while many other reality shows are not. It will be interesting to see how the merger of SAG and AFTRA will affect how these shows conduct business.

I just hope Mark and Bopper will make out very well given all the entertainment they provided and the fact that they appear to be genuinely nice and appreciative of their time on The Amazing Race.
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

Teach your children well Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain View Post
    It is difficult trying to find clear information on this subject. This is probably because the decision to participate in SAG or AFTRA contracts was left up to individual networks and/or production companies.
    You're right! I should have specified union shows or union projects. If the talent is working in a union show they have to join the union after a certain number of productions. That even applies to independent productions. I recently did a voice-over for an independent production house in Oregon. Because I was not a member of AFTRA, but they were union house, I had to sign at Taft-Hartley release.

To the original point, I'm guessing that Mark and Bopper had to join AFTRA. Which means, they would be entitled to basic remuneration, residuals, and any other monies attendant to the production. However, you're right! Until we see the contract we have no idea how or what they're being paid.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    From my understanding - they earn money as they advance to each pitstop, kinda like how in "Big Brother" they are paid per week in the house. Plus, they do have the option of cashing out their vacations instead of taking them (many do because the taxes are less).

This would hold valid too because IIRC they have to get a SAG card or its equivalent because they are technically actors and if so, they would have to get a minimum amount of pay becuase they are in essence union workers.

Mind you this is my understanding - it doesn't mean this is correct.
    This may have changed since I was involved in television, but as it was then, contestants on game shows were not considered as actors and did not have to get a SAG or AFTRA card. This included any type of show where you compete to earn money or prizes.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I did a bit of research on this and from what I have found, non winners get very little money. There is a site called TARflies that was told by a TAR 6 contestant that the 1st team elliminated gets $1500 then it rises by $500-$1,000 each elimination with the 4th place team receiving $7000. Third and second getting $10,000 and $25,000. They do stress that the information is not verified.

This is pretty much in line with what I found other places. All the sites I found that should know about these things say reality show contestants receive very little money, unless they win.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

My brother was on a reality show, (contest/competition format), & he got paid $800 per week, for every week that he was there. He only lasted 3 weeks, so $2400. I don't know if it would have increased as time went on, but I know that's what he got paid each week for the 3 weeks he was there.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    This may have changed since I was involved in television, but as it was then, contestants on game shows were not considered as actors and did not have to get a SAG or AFTRA card. This included any type of show where you compete to earn money or prizes.
    Oh, game shows I know that's true. That's why they have the weird "All contestants receive a year's supply of shampoo and kitty litter" or something really dumb like that.

Here's the clincher though - I have heard that on shows such as "BB" they had to get a SAG card because they were seen as actors as it's a 'reality tv show.' It's the same reasoning as to why these shows can get away with pulling stunts that effect the outcome of the game (well mostly - "Manhunt" is still best known for refilming the show to give the prize to the person who didn't win but the show wanted to).

Personally, I say that they either should be game shows, where they're under the jurisdiction of the FCC or reality shows where they get compensation for just being there - or a flat fee. Then there'd be no risk of this nonsense.

'The Amazing Race' Exit Interview: Mark and Bopper This interview says it all as far as I am concerned. These men are wonderful people who deserve a fan favourite award.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345