+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: 12/4 TAR 19 Show Thread Episode 11 **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 12/4 TAR 19 Show Thread Episode 11 **West Coast Spoilers**

That's it... this episode marks TAR jumping the shark for me!

All those taxi drivers sharing information makes me sick. Only TWO groups found the correct location and the rest just got it handed to them. This is not fair at all. The editing also made the show feel very unexicting.

I don't want anybody to win the finale. Ernie and Cindy are annoying. Cindy wants it too badly and she's not as perfect as she thinks. Long distance? couple are all over the place, seem kinda nerves and "oh my god, is it gonna work!?!?!?!?" every leg, and Marcus and Amani I don't think deserve to win either just cause they are the team that barely survives every leg. Every final 3 has that group. I like their personality but don't think they deserve the money due to that (also they are already rich). Plus I'm kinda sick of all the football references and self pep talks "We are the comback kids, we're gonna land a touchdown, all those other teams, they better watch out, etc"

This reminds me of that season with the Bamas and the Male Models that did drugs or something. Nobody watched that finale either.
    Last edited by Endit; 12-06-2011 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Did anyone else hold their breath for a good long moment after the teams got the "San Francisco" clue?? I was horrified and yet wildly excited to think of one of the teams yelling to their cabbie to head for the airport to get tickets to California....can you imagine?? That would truly have been the most wild and funny end to a F4 team ever!!
    Yes! I couldn't figure out how they all knew that "San Francisco Tower" was still in Panama and not in California.
    Fanny Mare and sparklete like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Endit View Post
    That's it... this episode marks TAR jumping the shark for me!

All those taxi drivers sharing information makes me sick. Only TWO groups found the correct location and the rest just got it handed to them. This is not fair at all. The editing also made the show feel very unexicting.

I don't want anybody to win the finale. Ernie and Cindy are annoying. Cindy wants it too badly and she's not as perfect as she thinks. Long distance? couple are all over the place, seem kinda nerves and "oh my god, is it gonna work!?!?!?!?" every leg, and Marcus and Amani I don't think deserve to win either just cause they are the team that barely survives every leg. Every final 3 has that group. I like their personality but don't think they deserve the money due to that (also they are already rich). Plus I'm kinda sick of all the football references and self pep talks "We are the comback kids, we're gonna land a touchdown, all those other teams, they better watch out, etc"

This reminds me of that season with the Bamas and the Male Models that did drugs or something. Nobody watched that finale either.
    Oh I think a lot of people will watch the finale.And cheering! I was bummed when the cowboys didnt win, but it didnt deter me from watching the finale, not when I invested time in this AR

I actually enjoyed this episode of Amazing Race. I think this must be the first time ever that all the teams had good taxi drivers, although I don't think everyone will agree with me. Seriously, has anyone ever seen this type of cooperation between taxi drivers before? While in one sense I was rooting for the Snowboarders I am not unhappy that they are not in the finale. This has been the best season for Dumb and Dumber, Stupid and Stupider, and Clueless and Just Hopeless. If nothing else the remaining three teams are very closely matched with Marcus and Amani being the calmest and then with Ernie finally being able to work with Cindy. If Jeremy and Sandy win I will be very surprised. Here's to Marcus and Amani winning the final leg of this season of The Amazing Race.

Oh, major kudos to the producers of TAR for providing clues that the racers had to figure out before they could get to the next stage of the race. Also kudos to Marcus for picking the fish instead of the shoes, realizing hauling fish would be easier than doing an intricate task like weaving the leather portion of the shoe.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 12-06-2011 at 02:36 PM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

This has been the best season for Dumb and Dumber, Stupid and Stupider, and Clueless and Just Hopeless
    I agree. You'd think this far along in TAR, you'd have couples who have seen the show before and do everything they can to eliminate common errors. I can't believe how bad this group has been about not reading clues, losing tickets/passports, etc. This is the worst group of contestants I can ever remember there being!

I hope the next season of TAR has more savvy contestants and less groupwork. I don't want TAR to get like Survivor, with weaker teams forming alliances to get stronger teams out. I want the teams in the finale to have earned their spot with their smart decisions and quick completion of tasks.

I think the key to TAR is being calm under pressure, The SnowBoarders do it, Marcus and Amani can do it fortunately or unfortunately the other two teams suffer from major meltdowns, breakdowns and just plain, let's take a breathe and think.

I honestly think the best thing about the remaining 3 teams is how equally matched they are as far as physical strength and lack of any mental capacity. This is going to be the closest finish ever. One advantage Marcus and Amani do have however is that they do communicate well and they don't blow up.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Look, the teams got help from the cabbies, that happens every show, help from cabbies or locals. If they couldn't get help from them they would all still be in Belgium trying to figure out who Tintin and Thompson and Thomson are (seriously? Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton?).
    sclilred1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jogi View Post
    Look, the teams got help from the cabbies, that happens every show, help from cabbies or locals. If they couldn't get help from them they would all still be in Belgium trying to figure out who Tintin and Thompson and Thomson are (seriously? Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton?).
    Exactly!
    Just as they can't predict who may help out what other team or U-turn a team. Just like losing a passport, can't be foreseen and alters the course of the race.

Teams often use taxi drivers for help. Sometimes bartering instead of paying money for the fare, sometimes asking for shortcuts, to go faster, pass another team, use a cell phone, wait for them, hi-jack another teams taxi, should all of that be disallowed as well?
    sweetpea and sclilred1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jogi View Post
    To be fair... I have watched and read "Tintin" but as I turned on the channel after the clue was read by Phil, I thought they were dressed as Charlie Chaplin. (And yes, when I saw the person who looked like Tintin and heard "Dupont and Dumond" - though I think it's Thompson and Thomson, I realized my error. )

I do agree though - they have to have help from locals all the time. That said, I can see people's disdain for a group of cabbies ironically creating an alliance and getting the teams to the pit stop because of one team's solving it correctly. This especially true when it's the final four.

One thing I think the producers learned - they may need to make absolutely sure that the clue colors are fully in the outfit. I think they had just the one red dress - the one with the clue - out of the 8 or so dancers. That should've clued them into the fact they needed to focus on the dress.

FORT Fogey

I'm a little confused abut the taxi driver conundrum. Maybe I missed something, but did M/A and C/E even know what their taxi drivers were doing? They seemed very anxious that they didn't. As a result, I didn't get the impression that anyone was exactly teaming up to beat the snowboarders in the obvious way teams deliberately shared information to try and get the Cowboys eliminated. And yes, the taxi drivers worked together, which maybe doesn't seem entirely fair, but I can see their point of view too--my guess is that they were hoping that if they got their fares to the right place as quickly as possible, they'd get a better tip. I can't really fault them for thinking about their own pocketbooks as opposed to the rules of a race they likely didn't know (and, so far as I know, what they did may not even be covered by the rules of AR).

I didn't like how they all were celebrating eliminating the snowboarders, however. I realize they had won a lot and they were all probably relieved they wouldn't have to go up against them in the finale, but again, so far as I could tell, the snowboarders weren't mean to any of the other contestants or incredibly unpleasant to be around. They didn't have to be that delighted that dumb luck ruled the day for two of the teams that beat them. I do give credit to the Stupid Couple for having a moment of clarity and realizing that the location featured on the necklace might have something to do with where they were supposed to go. Phil did mention that and the message in the skirt as the two clues they were expected to catch, so they did figure it out legitimately--they drew the location for their taxi driver and asked if he knew where it was, which isn't that different from giving a location's name to the driver. They still had to come up with what to show him on their own.

However, if the Stupid Couple somehow manage to fall across the finish line first by accident, this will make the sisters who won the all stars season look like master racers by comparison (it's not that they were so bad but that they were so average for much of the race and then just caught some breaks right at the end).

+ Reply to Thread