+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: 11/6 TAR 19 Show Thread Episode 7 **West Coast Spoilers**

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Re: 11/6 TAR 19 Show Thread Episode 7 **West Coast Spoilers**

I think what gets me in all of this.. so many people say they do not want the Boarders to win because they are "pro-athletes". I find that even funnier, given how many want Marcus to win, that Marcus was a Pro Athlete for nearly 15 years. In fact, up till very recently... He retired in 2009. He is by no means old.. 39. Tommy and Andy are 30 -32.. again not old but not 21 or 19. Just because they keep themselves in good shape doesn’t mean that they should ‘let another team come in first’. They have done a lot to help other teams, Marcus and his wife being one, Zac and his dad.. etc. In the end, this is a race and everyone wants to win, I just don’t see why they should penalize themselves because of it. They have a good time on the race, love the locals and sights, and are good at the tasks.. even the non physical ones. Again, is that a drawback?! If it had been Marcus and his wife winning that foot race would there still be the outcry of “OMG the pro football player over took the normal people”?
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman View Post
    I think what gets me in all of this.. so many people say they do not want the Boarders to win because they are "pro-athletes". I find that even funnier, given how many want Marcus to win, that Marcus was a Pro Athlete for nearly 15 years. In fact, up till very recently... He retired in 2009. He is by no means old.. 39. Tommy and Andy are 30 -32.. again not old but not 21 or 19. Just because they keep themselves in good shape doesn’t mean that they should ‘let another team come in first’. They have done a lot to help other teams, Marcus and his wife being one, Zac and his dad.. etc. In the end, this is a race and everyone wants to win, I just don’t see why they should penalize themselves because of it. They have a good time on the race, love the locals and sights, and are good at the tasks.. even the non physical ones. Again, is that a drawback?! If it had been Marcus and his wife winning that foot race would there still be the outcry of “OMG the pro football player over took the normal people”?
    Awesome. And if they HAD held back, wouldn't they have been kicking themselves for giving away all that money? lol

My favourites for top three:
    Bill and Kathi: They work so well together, are positive wherever they go, and were denied the early benefit of other teams helping each other. I see them as the underdog for that reason alone.
    Marcus and Amani: They also have fantastic attitudes and work well together.
    The Snowboarders: They are so positive and have so much fun with people as they are racing. I have seen ZERO religious intolerance (you know, according to the definition of that phrase) from them, so I'm not understanding that earlier comment.
    From the Apologetics Index. org

Religious Intolerance
    a) Refusing to acknowledge and support the right of individuals to have their own beliefs and related legitimate practices.
    b) Also, the unwillingness to have one's own beliefs and related practices critically evaluated.

The following do not constitute religious intolerance:
    Excercizing the right to challenge a religion's claims (e.g. regarding alleged compatibility with, or superiority over, other religious beliefs)
    Condemning and disallowing illegal practices
    Rejecting a movement's claim to be a ''religion'' when there is sufficient evidence showing religion is used as a cover
    If people didn't believe their religion was the right one, well, what the heck is the point in believing in the first place? IF at some point the snowboarders start saying no one is allowed to believe what they believe, then I'll see it differently.
    I'd like to put this nonsense to rest though, about the snowboarders "intolerance."
    Last edited by spockwhat; 11-08-2011 at 02:44 PM.

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    Awesome. And if they HAD held back, wouldn't they have been kicking themselves for giving away all that money? lol

My favourites for top three:
    Bill and Kathi: They work so well together, are positive wherever they go, and were denied the early benefit of other teams helping each other. I see them as the underdog for that reason alone.
    Marcus and Amani: They also have fantastic attitudes and work well together.
    The Snowboarders: They are so positive and have so much fun with people as they are racing. I have seen ZERO religious intolerance (you know, according to the definition of that phrase) from them, so I'm not understanding that earlier comment.
    From the Apologetics Index. org

If people didn't believe their religion was the right one, well, what the heck is the point in believing in the first place? IF at some point the snowboarders start saying no one is allowed to believe what they believe, then I'll see it differently.
    I'd like to put this nonsense to rest though, about the snowboarders "intolerance."
    I'm only quoting this because I couldn't like it more than once.

Thank you, thank you!!

CCL

Further to what FireWoman wrote:
    It can be questioned whether boarders (in general) should really be called athletes compared to other professional athletes. I mean, it's no surprise that the first man to win a medal for snowboarding got it taken away for marijuana showing up on his blood test. Boarders seem to be more carefree individuals - akin to ski bums if you will - than most professional athletes. (Please keep in mind I'm making generalizations). Now, the boarders on this show I would say are athletic in terms of build and stamina but they seem to participate in a lot of other recreational sporting activities in their lives. How is that different from, say, a nurse who goes to the gym, works out, hikes, participates in marathons etc. Would she not be considered as athletic as well? So should she be barred from the Race? I'm always impressed when less- than- athletic teams conquer athletic tasks (thinking of the bowling moms, for example) but the race is (should be) a mix of both brains and brawn so I don't think an athlete should be kept from competing any more than a genius should be.
    I have to agree with the person upthread who mentioned how the uturn would have been unfair on any team except for Marcus and Amani. I can't see any of the other teams being able to carry eight people through the water without getting them wet at all. That was insane.
    Duckyface likes this.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Further to what FireWoman wrote:
    It can be questioned whether boarders (in general) should really be called athletes compared to other professional athletes. I mean, it's no surprise that the first man to win a medal for snowboarding got it taken away for marijuana showing up on his blood test. Boarders seem to be more carefree individuals - akin to ski bums if you will - than most professional athletes. (Please keep in mind I'm making generalizations). Now, the boarders on this show I would say are athletic in terms of build and stamina but they seem to participate in a lot of other recreational sporting activities in their lives. How is that different from, say, a nurse who goes to the gym, works out, hikes, participates in marathons etc. Would she not be considered as athletic as well? So should she be barred from the Race? I'm always impressed when less- than- athletic teams conquer athletic tasks (thinking of the bowling moms, for example) but the race is (should be) a mix of both brains and brawn so I don't think an athlete should be kept from competing any more than a genius should be.

My pastor's wife's idea of relaxation is to run half-marathons. Her dream is to work up to a full marathon, and accordingly, she has very little body fat. If she had been running that race, she would have sailed past Cindy and Ernie. So yes, it was just a tough break that C & E were racing against competitors in good shape. That could apply to any team in a race, regardless of whether they were pro athletes or not.

I have to agree with the person upthread who mentioned how the uturn would have been unfair on any team except for Marcus and Amani. I can't see any of the other teams being able to carry eight people through the water without getting them wet at all. That was insane.
    I can't stand the U-Turn. I agree with that poster who said that it's not fair for a team to lose a race just because another team screwed them.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    I can't stand the U-Turn. I agree with that poster who said that it's not fair for a team to lose a race just because another team screwed them.
    I've never liked the U-turn. I always liked TAR better before yields and U-turns. One of the things I liked most was that while it's a competition it was always more about the teams ability to do a task. The U-turns put too much of the 'power' back into the other teams hands. I wish they would do away with the U-turn. I don't believe it adds anything to the show at all and I'm not a fan of that aspect.

I've never minded bunching at the airports and other places because even without a tv show, that is going to happen. It's a little like passing someone on the road and getting in front of them, only for them to pull up to the red light behind you. Terminals of any kind will always be an equalizer that seemed true to life. Another team having the ability to use a U-turn goes against that principle to me.
    sparklete likes this.

The hairy snowboarder (still can't get names straight!) is definitely very fit. He's ripped! That said, I kind of agree that other Olympic athletes are probably in better shape physically but these guys, especially hairy guy, look pretty athletic. Running past them full out just before the mat...I've said I get why they did it and I think it is the smart thing to do given that any leg you could be last and go home BUT still, somehow it seemed a bit crass. I don't know why I feel this way, I just do. Don't blame them and I think they would certainly kick themselves if they had given that $$ away, but just the idea of it bugged me. Probably because usually these flat out foot races are to avoid elimination, not to see who comes in first.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    I also think Cindy's "Please let us win this one!" was an expression borne out of frustration and not really a request to the snowboarders to slow up as they raced past them. I agree it is a race and you should collect as many of those first place prizes as you can since you never know when you'll be cut. However, it still bugged to see two Olympic athletes race down another couple just steps from the mat. Especially since Cindy has asthma I believe, so that couldn't have been easy for her. It's part of the race, and I totally get why the boys took the first place from them, but still it came across as a bit crass to me, I don't know why exactly. Having said that though, Ernie and Cindy wasted their express pass AND they wasted the chance to uturn the boys so they have nobody to blame but themselves.

I'm really pulling for Marcus and Amani. They rocked the day, were nice to each other and really enjoyed the culture and the people. I hate those slide puzzles, so I was really impressed with the way they stayed so calm while doing it. Marcus carrying all those people was crazy. I can't see any other team being able to do it, really. He's such a big guy and even he was struggling. That option would have really sunk an all female team, sadly.
    I would tend to agree if it was said in the context mentioned had Ernie NOT said it was mean for the boarders to overtake them in the end. What if it had been the other way around? If they beat out the boarders? I highly doubt that they would have said the same things... THAT in my opion would have been crass. Furthermore, if Cindy does have asthma, then I give her credit for doing this but she also may save some breath if she stoped b!tching, whining, and crying about everything. I am sorry I have no love for her, Earnie i feel bad for, hes stuck with her for life when they get married.
    sparklete likes this.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

I think Laurence and Zac would be doing better if Laurence wouldn't insist on taking charge of all the activities.

As for the snowboarders and their first places, I think this is a first for TAR whenever has a team taken first place so many times because of an error of the team ahead of them?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I feel like I have a sense of whom each racer is, with the exception of Zac. Has he said more than a few sentences since the starting line? It seems we only hear Laurence talk from this team and he overpowers his son. Maybe he does talk more and they just aren't showing it, but it would be nice to see more of him.

+ Reply to Thread