+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: 10/30 TAR 19 Episode 6 *West Coast Spoilers*

Re: 10/30 TAR 19 Episode 6 *West Coast Spoilers*

Overall it was a boring episode. I couldn't believe that one truck driver charged 3000 more than the other. We heard one ask for 7000 and then for I think Bill and Cathi it was 10,000.

It was such an odd TAR in that nothing seemed to happen, other than the sexist dad making all those comments about a woman needing to know how to sew. He sounded like my old neighbor who tried to bring his clothes over for hemming because his wife couldn't do it. It didn't look like anything was wrong with his hands or eyes. What a contrast to Marcus who was so excited because of his grandmother and mother sewing and he was sure he could do it and wouldn't they be proud of him. That dad (it must be a boring season because I baring know any of the names!) just keeps lowering and lowering in my estimation. They never read the clues quite correctly as evidenced today by trying to put their beds in their cab, and he doesn't seem to really think things through. It was his fault last week his son had to go back and write down the temple instructions. His son wanted to, but instead they had to rush through it and it turned out to be such a horrible idea. But, he's still not nearly as bad as some we've seen on TAR.

How impressive were Bill and Cathi. All that hard farming work paid off in a good way in this episode. I was surprised none of them tried to carry both of them together. Was it a rule they could only carry their own? I would have thought it would be easier to balance if both team members were trying to hold onto both.
    Endit and sparklete like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    It was a boring episode, and I hate to say it, but this has been the most boring season for me. I don't love anyone, I don't hate anyone. Even during the much reviled family season I had my burning loathing of the Weavers to keep me invested in the outcome. And now? Meh. See, all you people who "don't want the drama, just want the race", see what happens? Nothing. People running. That's it. Give me drama or I'm afraid that I'm going to have to go find my drama elsewhere.
    I actually like it when all the teams get along with each other and within their own team as well. The drama I like comes in where they have to figure out a clue or where to find it or solve a riddle or just make sure to read the clue (leave ALL your money!). I think that's why this leg seemed so boring- it was pretty straightforward with no twists and turns. That's where TAR gets interesting for me and a step above other reality shows. I do like to have a team or two that I can root for and maybe one that I hope doesn't win, but I can do without all the bickering and just have more racing.

And I had forgotten about the family edition...{{{shudder}}}...I must have blocked it out!
    Duckyface likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

It rankled me that Zac's dad assumed that all the women would do the sewing challenge. What, because you have female parts, you're automatically a seamstress? Didn't he think that any of the men might know how to sew? Just when you think this country is getting away from sexist stereotypes, bam! One sneaks up on you.

I liked the guys at the tobacco warehouse, singing, dancing and carrying on. They and the children at the school made this an enjoyable episode for me.

I figured this was going to be a non-elimination round when Phil mentioned the beds they were carrying were the ones they were going to sleep on. I didn't think they'd be so cruel as to have the contestants lug beds to the pit stop and then have one couple get eliminated, having brought their beds for nothing.
    Last edited by pikachu; 10-31-2011 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    I like Marcus and Amani too but I hated the going on about how hard the race was (through tears) and how they were going to struggle through it and show their child you don't quit around people who mostly struggle just to live. They are racing for a million bucks, not to feed their families and it felt stupid to watch.Also, I understand it is a race, but felt it was pretty unnecessary for the brother and sister team to elbow their way in front of Cathi and Bill to the mat. Classless.
    Did anyone else notice that Phil made Bill and Cathi wait while he checked in a couple that arrived after them? What the heck? He should have checked in Bill and Cathi first and told them to go back and pay their driver and THEN checked in the other couple. That was just not right and not something I've ever seen before on the race. Yes, you got here first, but wait a minute, I'm going to check in these people behind you first. Really weird.
    I didn't think so. I felt touched by their statement. Sorry you felt it was stupid. The older couple did the same thing with Marcus and Amani.

What I couldn't figure out was how Bill/Cathi and Marcus/Amani ended up at the back of the plane when they were the first two couples to get to the airport...why didn't they ask for seats toward the front of the plane?

There was a second plane they boarded once in Africa - South African Airlines. It is probably because of the plane change that the seating became as it was when they disembarked.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    It rankled me that Zac's dad assumed that all the women would do the sewing challenge. What, because you have female parts, you're automatically a seamstress? Didn't he think that any of the men might know how to sew? Just when you think this country is getting away from sexist stereotypes, bam! One sneaks up on you.
    Where is that man from? England? Because I can tell that most men in Britain don't have that attitude. Boy, the father is really out there. I, too, was proud of Marcus for being willing to sew because of his mother and grandmother. I'm sure they were smiling as they watched.

And I didn't think Marcus and Armani were whining. I would probably have been crying, too, if I had to carry my bed around. I was really touched by them in this episode, and glad they weren't eliminated.

I liked the guys at the tobacco warehouse, singing, dancing and carrying on. They and the children at the school made this an enjoyable episode for me.
    I was going to say, I must be the lone voice in the wilderness, because I liked this episode. I thought it was so cool seeing the workers dance (and that snowboarder dance with them!). Years ago we had some friends who had been missionaries to Malawi, and they said the people there were very friendly and welcoming. It was so nice to see that our friends were right. And I loved it when they helped Marcus get his coveralls off. That was so sweet. It reminded me of last season when those Indian workers cheered Luke when he finally finished his tea.

And those children were just beyond adorable. I loved how some of the contestants played with the kids.

I figured this was going to be a non-elimination round when Phil mentioned the beds they were carrying were the ones they were going to sleep on. I didn't think they'd be so cruel as to have the contestants lug beds to the pit stop and then have one couple get eliminated, having brought their beds for nothing.
    Did father and son really try to get those things into a cab??

I think the confusion over payment arose because the clue said, "Ask the supervisor to get a driver for you." There was no implication that these were vehicles-for-hire. I thought they were merely delivery drivers for the furniture place, so I wasn't surprised that some teams got confused, too. I was really impressed that Bill and Cathi managed to run to their driver, pay him, and run back and still beat Marcus and Armani. That was quite a feat for an older couple.

However, I was totally disgusted at the way Phil treated them the first time. Excuse me? You just let that other couple butt in front of them? What was up with that? Remember how Justin and Jennifer came in first, so Phil checked them in, THEN told them they had screwed up, THEN told the snowboarders they were actually first because of the other team's mistake. Why couldn't Bill and Cathi gotten the same respect? Because of course, while Phil checked in that other team, B & C were losing time. Phil, Phil, I was so disappointed in you.
    spockwhat likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

CCL

The father is from England. Not sure how long he has lived in the US. And,yes, he was asking the cab driver if they could put the beds in his trunk. Because once again he didn't read his clue. He is then shown looking at it and saying something about, oh, they need to get a truck.
    I can see where the confusion came about re paying of the truck drivers. Guess it is the safe thing to err on the side of caution and offer them something.
    The episode overall was a bit boring but the Malawi people were great.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Just wished Marcus and Amani had been eliminated. The editing was so heavy handed this episode. I can't believe how many mistakes these couples are still making. There must have been an instruction to pay the truck drivers. At now we know there will be no more non elimination legs unless of course they throw in one or two super long legs.

There must of been a lot of disturbances going on in the world (at the time they were filming) for the Amazing Race to do 2 episodes in Indonesia, 2 episodes in Thailand and now 2 in Malawi.

Oh, best wishes to the folks in Thailand with all the flooding they are currently experiencing.

Didn't Madonna adopt one of her children from Malawi?
    Endit likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

All I can say is, shut up, Lawrence. He's grating on my last nerve, and I'd happily send him back to the '50s.

I thought it was great that Marcus did the sewing task without a second thought, after just doing the tobacco bale challenge.

The bed falling on Cindy as she lay there laughing was so funny.

I'm tired of the snowboarders winning the first place prize yet again due to the mistakes of others.

Does anyone else think it is taking them longer and longer to get the racers through the legs? We used to have the "mandatory 12 hour rest stop" spiel from Phil and we'd get the times clearly "So-and-so, who arrived at 8:20 pm will depart at 8:20 am" - I don't recall hearing him give this info this season. Wonder why?

There's nobody I absolutely love this season, but I have to say when Marcus and Amani were saved by the NEL I was ok with it as I like watching them race. Please let the dad and son go next.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast