+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: 10/23 TAR 19 Episode 5 **West Coast Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 10/23 TAR 19 Episode 5 **West Coast Spoilers**

I think if you don't know if someone will understand you or not, you err on the side of caution and assume that he/she will and avoid saying anything that you wouldn't say in front of someone who would understand you. In fact, I'd say you might as well just make it a rule not to say in front of someone anything you wouldn't mind him/her hearing, regardless of whether he/she speaks the same language as you do or seems fully capable of understanding you. It drives me nuts, for instance, when people assume Alzheimer's patients are incapable of following a conversation, so it's just fine to go on about them right in front of them. It's rude, whether they understand you or not. For all her other faults, in this particular case, I think Jennifer got it right: try to treat other people's sacred spaces with the same respect you'd like afforded yours. She may very well also have beliefs that are closer to the Snowboarders' than the Buddhists, but she understood that it was not perhaps the right time to voice them, as she was a guest in their place and their country.

And no, no one ever died of a comment--except that ill-advised comments/arguments about religion and other sensitive topics have caused all kinds of conflicts that have caused all kinds of problems, including the deaths of many people. Words, not just actions, matter--just look at the problems cyberbullying has caused-- and IMO, the snowboarders chose their words poorly and spoke them at the wrong time in the wrong place. Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean you have to immediately voice it, even if you're asked directly about it, and they do bear some responsibility for their choice of words, because the show wouldn't have anything to edit if they hadn't said what they said in the first place.

And I'm sorry I assumed the comments made by the imaginary Muslims or Jews in a barbecue restaurant about their inability to eat the food would necessarily be complaints. Aside from the fact that it's unlikely that Muslims or Jews would ever choose a pork barbecue restaurant as a place to eat, I assumed they wouldn't be commenting pleasantly on the fact that they couldn't eat the food there, because that seemed even more unlikely--but it was only my assumption about your hypothetical example.
    waywyrd and KatesMom like this.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Maybe it was rude of the producers to ask the snowboarders about THEIR religion on the grounds of a temple and near a Buddhist. (Knowing that the snowboarders are Christian.) Which has got me to thinking a bit. How come we never hear of the other religions of racers? Surely, they've had racers of Jewish faith, Buddhists maybe, a Wiccan? Don't their feelings matter when being at a religious temple of another faith... or is it not worthy of asking? Or do only atheists and Christians go on the amazing race? We have historically had some pretty nasty Christians on the race... which is curious to me.

Great discussion, but I've decided to not take any judgement on the snowboarders at this point. We'll see what future episodes hold for them. And maybe people of a different religious background! (yeah, ok, I doubt it. lol)
    Duckyface likes this.

Mr. Sweetpea thought the inclusion of the religious comments was partly an effort by the editors/producers to take the snowboarders down a notch. Up to this point, they had been running a terrific race and were clearly the fan favourites. It's interesting. I am sure all of the contestants were asked the same types of questions, but we were only shown these two contrasting answers. There's a reason for everything they show us.

I think the thing that bothered me the most about what they snowboarders said was the 'it's obvious' comment after saying their one true God is proven in the bible, if you read it. It came across as arrogant to me, considering they are in a foreign host country with different beliefs. But having said that I don't think their comments were mean-spirited, but certainly misguided given the timing.

CCL

I still like the snowboarders I just didn't like that moment of theirs. I know the show runners ask them questions during the talking head segments at the end of the show but are we sure they ask them stuff in the course of the race? I always thought the cameramen were there as passive observers.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    I still like the snowboarders I just didn't like that moment of theirs. I know the show runners ask them questions during the talking head segments at the end of the show but are we sure they ask them stuff in the course of the race? I always thought the cameramen were there as passive observers.
    I imagine they talk to whoever isn't currently doing the task, as to do otherwise would slow the team down. Not sure, are there producers on scene to ask the questions specific to the task at hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface View Post
    You do realize that the crew of Amazing Race ask the contestants questions and then edit their replies however they want to? I doubt the snowboarders go around talking about their straightness or their religion a lot, but when asked a question, by people who want to stereotype each couple on the race into a certain box, you answer it having no idea how they might edit it. You also answer it off the cuff, so I wouldn't take this stuff so seriously, dude
    Thats how I feel about Brandon on survivor.Its all in the editing

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    Maybe it was rude of the producers to ask the snowboarders about THEIR religion on the grounds of a temple and near a Buddhist. (Knowing that the snowboarders are Christian.) Which has got me to thinking a bit. How come we never hear of the other religions of racers? Surely, they've had racers of Jewish faith, Buddhists maybe, a Wiccan? Don't their feelings matter when being at a religious temple of another faith... or is it not worthy of asking? Or do only atheists and Christians go on the amazing race? We have historically had some pretty nasty Christians on the race... which is curious to me.

Great discussion, but I've decided to not take any judgement on the snowboarders at this point. We'll see what future episodes hold for them. And maybe people of a different religious background! (yeah, ok, I doubt it. lol)
    Wow, what a hot button religion is!!!! There are only 7 pages here, and I bet three fourths of the comments are discussing what the snowboarders said regarding their own Christian beliefs. I was not offended and also felt like the snowboarders comments were not meant to be offensive. I like them. The seem like really nice guys.
    Photobabe and sparklete like this.

In all honesty, I really wish they'd not invoke the whole issue of religion in regard to these types of things anyway, because they always go for the Christianity issue and the more negative sides.

Heck, Neleh from Survivor Marquesas is a Mormon, even brought Scriptures as her luxury item, and it wasn't even MENTIONED in any way until the very end with the Rotu four talking about religious hypocricy (never mind that Neleh actually based her strategy by using the chopping block game to realize her place in the Rotu group and told Paschal, Sean and Vee and one other to secure their numbers).

Personally, I just like the snowboarders because they're having fun - and even with their verbal opinion, they DID at least respect the property that they were on and the customs enough to do the shrine properly. Plus, they had no problems with the whole Buddha activity and didn't comment in regard to being in that temple to count the statues. (I know some will comment in regard to the fact he stood up to show the signs, but so did I think Lawrence. The others probably sat in the lotus position in order to correctly remember the hand signs).
    SugarMama likes this.

CCL

I think the others sat down because one of them did and the rest just followed suit as they were behind him. I don't think it was necessary. I don't really remind religion being mentioned - I was fine with the snowboarders talking about their biblical quotes - but I did find the comments at the challenge disrespectful (though not offensive). I guess it got people talking anyways.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I for sure would'nt be offended if someone who came as a tourist into my church explained his beliefs while he were there, especially if he were directly asked about it by a producer. If this tourist believed that his God was the right one, well duh I already assumed that otherwise he would be going to my church instead of his.

I just don't find it offensive that people have different beliefs and I don't understand what kind of thin skinned, whinny people there must be out there that started this climate we have where we can't even listen to another's stated beliefs without A. being offended and/or B. thinking that person is "forcing their religion on you." It's a sad state we are in when such simple, honest and basic things offend us. When it offends us that others don't think like we do, we will be offended by almost the entire world.

If we get offended that easily then we will rarely be able to have true, deep, meaningful conversations with any who believes anything other than exactly what we believe, about life, about religion, about politics, about love...These easily offended people must not have very many close friends.

+ Reply to Thread