A few points:
1. Re: the snowboarders and their religion comments - in all honesty they were talking about how firm they were in their faith and belive in one true God to the point that something like this doesn't bother them. There have been shows we've seen here where someone would shun another religion and not even attend any type of ceremony there (see the one person in Survivor: China and the Bhuddist prayer ceremony prior to their departure to their respective tribes).
Points are, they weren't trying to preach to the person at the shrine, they weren't disrespecting the religion - they said that they felt the way they did and that's that - again unlike others edited to be this way, and they finished the task in spite of it.
2. As much as I hate saying it - the father/son duo made a smart and unsmart choice. Given it's been said many times that they have been told they couldn't take first class, I can see it being smart to not risk the penalty and go back to start and do it right. Now that they know though you can bet they won't make the mistake again.
3. On the money - there were TWO cases of claims of not being paid enough. I personally think that the teams were being fleeced and pressured to be paid more. And while the bhat may now be that exchange valuse, for all we know when the show filmed the amount of bhat requested was less than the $100 or $150 that Cathy's team had. I think there have been cases described by other teams in previous seasons of this happening because of the film crew and the like.
4. The twins and the free ride - I"m surprised they allowed it and while it didn't matter regardless, I do wonder what'd happened had they finished ahead of the seventh place team if they'd been assessed a penalty. I do know that they aren't allowed to use anything but money to pay for the fare, but don't know about the free ride.
5. I loved how Bill and Cathy were screaming in joy when they found out they were second to the first place finishers. I don't think I've ever seen such excitement from a team finishing any place but first - it was such a joy to see, and I'm glad they showed both reactions of the two teams. It was also nice to see them finish one-two given that they had a clean leg.
Last edited by jadewarlock; 10-23-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Of the cabbies we saw, they all requested in the same region- 4500 to 5000 bhat-so unless they colluded together to set a price I'm thinking that was the going rate. While currency exchange rates do fluctuate I don't think they would have changed to that degree (33%) in the months between filming and airing. Also, with regards to the twins, I think they would have been ok because the cabbies chose to drive them for free upfront, they didn't trick them or try to pay them with something other than cash.
I have to say that the teacher took the snowboarders' clue and then went off to teach a class, ringing down to have the other woman tell them to wait...that was unbelievable. They took it pretty well and all.
Last edited by CCL; 10-23-2011 at 11:47 PM.
If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.
"Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard
What comment is everyone talking about by the snowboarders? I know they said they believed in One True God and that doing the Buddhist stuff didn't bother them, but I must have missed the offensive comments.
Also some people don't realize that Christians believe the old laws were done away with when Jesus was sacrificed and the new law, the law all about love, was ushered in. If you're talking about Old Testament stuff mostly doesn't apply.
It's sad to me that the snowboarders being Christian makes some people automatically not like them when they had previously liked them. Would you feel the same if you found they were Buddhist, or Muslim, or Jewish, and stated their held beliefs?
I know that there are those in all groups who are not who the group would choose to represent them. Like that "Christian" family on the family version. They made Christians and non Christians both cringe and dislike them. I just don't see anything the snowboarders have said that was offensive. As I said I may have missed it, but if it was just saying that they believed in One God I don't find that offensive.
Last edited by Duckyface; 10-24-2011 at 01:08 AM.
I missed a beat somewhere. Why did the twins end up broke? Where did they pay out more than everybody else? I was sorry to see them go. They seem like good people with a healthy attitude.
I don't find what the snowboarder's said offensive either. I lean more toward Buddhism and didn't think what they said seemed to be against it at all. They believe what they believe. They didn't try to shove it down our throats, they just said how they felt. It's their opinion.
Yup, with donuts!!
I too am sad to see the twins go. They were so joyful at washing the elephants! I will miss them.