+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: 5/1 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 5/1 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Bonbonlover View Post
    And some have mentioned being upset with the GT's because of last weeks show... you mean U-turning the Cowboy's? Well that was a smart game move. The only team they were sure was behind them was the CB's ... if they wanted to ensure they wouldn't be eliminated they HAD to U-Turn the guys.
    I think a lot of people have soured on the Globetrotters because they hold them responsible for the Cowboys' elimination. They would rather the GTs sacrifice themselves and save the Cowboys. Of course they should not have done that! U-turning the cowboys was really the only option they had. It was what anyone would to do save themselves. The cowboys were a popular team for some reason and people will remain bitter with the Globetrotters just to take out their frustration with somebody. I think that could explain why there is outrage over absolutely nothing. They were upset. Somebody took their gnome. They complained. Big deal! I personally think calling that bullying is absurd and I don't think anyone would make an issue of it if the globetrotters were not jocks and the goths were not weirdos. It reminds me of the Margie/Luke and Kisha/Jenn drama. Luke threw elbows at Jenn and there seemed to have been more siding with Luke.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    mesachick, jadewarlock,

Believe me that was bullying. And yes it messed up Vyxin and yes it is something she will remember for a long time. I have seen people use that tactic of yelling loudly like that to accuse someone without any evidence.
    Exactly. She had a very emotional reaction to it, and I have no doubt will have bad memories of the episode for a quite a while. Having been in a similar situation, I have a lot of sympathy for her.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

RealityLovesMe, IA. I think a lot of people started to turn on the GT last week b/c of the U-turn and it's carrying over.

What I saw BE do was a normal tactic in sports - someone makes a bad play and you get loud to get in their head. That's it. He did the same thing with the volleyball players (both with putting the bike together AND putting the dinosaur together) and they didn't cry - they got annoyed - b/c they knew what he was doing. If I remember correctly, Zev even made a comment about it - and there was no reference to "bullying" implied. Anyone who's ever played sports has had a coach or a member of an opposing team do the same thing to them - and you either play up or go home. There's nothing bullyish about that.

To me, BE was just as loud and annoying as Kent when he kept yelling at Vyxin to put her gnome in the freezer. For all we know, she was crying b/c she was just tired of the whole situation and having TWO people yelling at/about her got to her. Kent was a little punk - he whines afterwards about the yelling but he had no problem making faces behind BE's back like a little weasel.

What Kent has said to Vyxin and how he's acted towards her throughout the season has been much, much worse than anything BE said or did. If we want to point fingers and label someone a bully, it was Kent. He's such a little person that he had to use his words to make himself feel better and what he said to Vyxin when they were waiting out their 30 minute penalty made me want to shake him. He was no better than Chad and Nick from last season...
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

They weren't playing a basketball game. They were competing in a reality show. And once again, it doesn't matter how you label behavior, how others react, etc. What matters is how the victim perceives the negative behavior. Period. If the victim feels uncomfortable, intimidated, harassed, etc. then it is intimidation and harassment. The fact that such behavior is tolerated in professional sports games hardly says much for sports , because it is not tolerated in any other arena. Not education and not the workplace. It wouldn't even be tolerated at high school games, at least not at our school.

Back when I was in high school, I was a member of our Mock Trial team. The case was a woman suing for harassment, because her co-worker, who shared a cubicle with her, hung pictures of naked women, made sexual jokes all the time, etc. Because it was in the dark ages before Anita Hill and the "Year of the Woman," I went along with the prevailing mood: the plaintiff needs to get a thicker skin. Men always act like that. You're one of the only women working there, so get over it. Who are you to complain? I am ashamed to say that I helped "defeat" the plaintiff in several competitions. I am only glad that it was not real life.

What's ironic is that later in life, for a brief period of time, I worked for a construction firm. And yes, the atmosphere was fairly mysogynistic. I never complained, primarily because it was only a temporary job to make some money until I headed off to college. Since I knew I was leaving, I didn't feel like making waves. Does that mean I wasn't being harassed or that it didn't make me uncomfortable? No, it doesn't. Another woman who worked there permanently may well have done something about it. Again, it's how the victim perceives the behavior, not everybody else. Bringing it back to TAR, Vyxsin looked very stressed and emotional, so I feel confident in saying that she felt harassed.

And nobody here is excusing Ken's behavior. To me he almost sounded abusive, and I really worry about Vyxsin if she stays with him, especially since she defended him. As Bill O' Reilly likes to say, though, "Bad behavior does not excuse other bad behavior." Both BE and Ken are bullies to me, and calling one of them on their behavior does not excuse the other one.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Terrific post Babbred wish I could be so eloquent.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

What I don't like is that a couple of people here are taking 2 or 3 unfavorable moments of the Globetrotters and using that to define everything that they are.

Yes. There behavior can come across as abrassive or bullying at times, but it's pretty that it comes from their years of being in the competitive sport of basketball where trash talking and intimidating the opponent is the norm. To think that they are going to behave differently when they are competiting in a race for 1 million dollars is silly IMHO.

Also if you take all the footage of the GTs taken from their two seasons combined, you will see that the amount of times that Flighttime and Big Easy helped or gave other teams encouragement far exceeds the 2 or 3 times that they were less than perfect. Personally, I believe the GTs are being held to a higher standard because their livelyhood depends on their likeability. Thus they must be seen as adorable at all times in some people's minds.

FORT Fogey

I definitely see how she may have felt harassed but it didn't seem like there was much said that would make her upset. Other than the accusation of cheating, I don't think there was anything hurtful said. I think the crying may have been because they were eliminated. Vyxsin is a strong woman and puts up with a lot from Kent. I don't think what happened with the chocolate would have made her that upset. I think it angered her and the perceived weakness came from getting the penalty and being eliminated. She also said on the cbs clips that she was mad at all of them except Zev and Justin.
    I do have to say that Kent's reactions were pitiful. Again, in the CBS clips he called the other teams "ghetto" and mocked them by saying "word" like he is a rapper. I don't tolerate that sort of thing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011