+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 4/24 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 4/24 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    You know, I'd understand if the Cowboys had been particularly nasty to other teams or if they'd consistently won legs, but they really haven't been consistently winning, and they've been close to the back of the back plenty of times. We haven't seen them be especially crabby to anyone either.

I had liked, or at least not disliked, any of the teams up to this point (okay, except for K/V because they've been sniping at each other and have been rude to other people, including locals), but handing answers to each other in order to gang up against one other team really doesn't strike me as fair, and I wouldn't care which team was being singled out. It's just a crappy thing to do, and up until this point, not the sort of thing any remaining team seemed much interested in doing.
    My feelings on all points. It really disgusts me and I'm starting to wonder if Zev and Justin have an agreement with the globetrotters that they will each share money with the other if they win.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Since other teams amongst those remaining are doing generally better than the Cowboys, but not causing the others to want to push them to the back, I'm going to assume that the remaining competitors get the same bad vibe from the Cowboys that I do. I can't explain it, but I find there to be something intangibly unpleasant about them.
    I haven't heard anyone say a bad word about the cowboys. Everyone seems to like them. Both the Globetrotters and Gary and Mallory said they were one of their favorite teams, so I'm not sure why you think they don't like them or "get a bad vibe" from them. Perhaps they just think they are a strong team because they seem more physically fit than any other, even the globetrotters?

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I suspect the GTs knew the Cowboys were hot on their heels, and all it would take is for them to get the wrong cab driver or get slightly lost on the way to the pitstop to lose. At least that's what I'd like to think was going through their minds, because they seriously had to know that if it came to a foot race, the GTs are one of the few teams the Cowboys wouldn't be able to beat, as the GTs strides have to be about twice as long as the Cowboys and the GTs have to be able to run to be on the Globetrotters in the first place.

It doesn't bother me so much that they u-turned them. It does bother me that they shared answers, especially when FT knew at that point that Jett was already having to go back and do the task over, and he still gave the answer to Gary, claiming that Gary needed some sort of advantage over Jett when he already had one.

And isn't this the second time the GTs have benefitted from having an answer handed to them? Seems to me that puzzle that gave the Cowboys fits in an early leg of the race was giving the GTs trouble too, until J/Z just gave them the answer. Justin needs to start keeping his mouth shut, although at this point, if he does, the other teams will likely resent it.

A number of seasons ago, they instituted a rule that no single member of a team could do all the one person challenges after a husband/wife team won when only one of them did all the challenges. Seems to me this season has shown that they also need to institute a rule that you can't just give or get an answer to a task without incurring a penalty. It's clearly just as much an unfair advantage to get an answer as it is to do any number of things for which such penalties are incurred. And usually when someone incurs a penalty for doing something like taking a cab instead of walking, it's just because they misread the clue. It isn't a deliberate act, which the sharing of answers is.
    It doesn't bother me that they were U-Turned, either. I don't like that particular twist but it's there so nothing I can do about it. Strategically, it was probably a smart move. I hate the fact NEL/TBC episodes are saving people I would have rather seen gone and my favorites get eliminated the leg after Basically sharing info and giving away the answers to a challenge is the same as having someone do it for you, or having a language based challenge and pulling a bystander local off the street to help you. I will wonder if they'll throw a new rule in next season. It'd be kind of funny and make these people infamous for changing the game. I remember the roadblock rule that came in effect after season 5. It was a long time coming, because the all female teams were at a real disadvantage when the co-ed or all male teams had someone stronger to do the tasks instead.

Zev/Justin and Kent/Vyksin can go anytime.

FORT Fogey

I just checked in on the CBS forum for the show to see what was being said on the "official" site that CBS might actually pay attention to, if they pay attention to any on-line comments.

There are a lot of unhappy/angry posts there indicating that sharing answers is cheating, and it should be stopped in future seasons. In fact, depending on how you viewed the actual rules, it might be considered cheating now, but the rules are worded a little fuzzily in terms of semantics. My guess is that the intention was that "working together" referred to the actual teammates, because I doubt it occurred to them that a much sharing of answers would ever occur as occurred tonight. But they didn't word it carefully enough, so people could argue that they hadn't cheated.

The collusion against a single team is particularly irritating people, even posters who said they didn't particularly have a favorite team this season. As has already been stated here, the general feeling there seems to be that it cheapens the game if only a couple of teams actually have to complete the task according to the rules. And the rules for that particular task indicated that the person doing the task was supposed to calculate the mileage with his/her map and odometer. People who were simply given the answer didn't do that. In other cases when rules have been broken simply because someone misread a direction, penalties have been assigned or contestants have been sent back to do the task over. Why that wasn't the case here seems to have quite a few people stymied. I'd love to know what Phil thought of it.

Phil is on Twitter. You can complain to him about the cheating there. @PhilKeoghan A lot of people have been.
    Last edited by Sk8Leigh; 04-24-2011 at 11:29 PM.

FORT Fogey

Well, crap. The cowboys are gone, now all the fun is gone. I'll bet they won't have a bad word to say about anybody or anything, they'll just be thankful for the experience. If I were in their boots, I'd have a lot to say about the shady stuff that happened this episode.

Good on ya, cowboys. You made this season fun.
    This isnít the Sound of freaking Music weíre watching.......sdl

Of course, they could be editing it out, but the only thing we've heard any other team say about the Cowboys that could be considered objectionable is that they're very good at coming from behind. They certainly haven't gotten the whining/crabby/mean to locals edit that K/V have gotten.

But as I said, it doesn't really matter to me what team is being ganged up on--I don't like that they have the option of handing out the answer to what are essentially mental tasks to each other but can't help each other in physical tasks. Either they should be able to help whomever they want whenever they want or they shouldn't be able to help each other complete tasks at all, and given that it's a race, I'd prefer the latter. Sharing information about flights or directions is one thing; just giving someone an answer because you like them or want them to finish ahead of someone you think is more competition for you just smacks of cheating. Unlike Survivor, AR is actually supposed to have some rules regarding how tasks are completed--if you're told to walk, you can't use a cab, for instance, because that's considered cheating. Seems to me just being given an answer is cheating too. I don't think Jen knew the right answer at all. I think she just overheard it and asked Justin to verify it, which he stupidly did--and then the answer was simply passed to the Globetrotters and Ken. Could be that the Cowboys have done something others have considered mean-spirited, but for the other competitors to act mean-spiritedly in return doesn't make them any better than the Cowboys.
    This is the best assessment I've read about the Cowboys and other team's opinions of them. I've never heard - save the brothers who won the season they were on by cheating (IMHO), anyone say anything negative about the cowboys except that they are a good team.

I do not fault the Globetrotters for using the U-Turn on the cowboys. They understand it's a game - both teams, and therefore it was a respect play because the GT's know that the cowboys can come from behind.

What I find disappointing is the sharing the answer with teams to give them an advantage. I personally think every team save Zev and Justin (at least I think they are the only ones who didn't do this) who shared an answer should've gotten a penalty. It may not have mattered long term; however, when the rules state that YOU have to measure it and give the right/wrong answer, then it should be just you. Every one but I think the team above and the cowboys BROKE that rule.

It's the game admittedly and hopefully it'll change now, but that point is disappointing.

Right now, I'm rooting for Zev and Justin to win this race. They're having fun, they gut things out (both ways now) and they are having fun. They haven't been overly mean (so far) and have had some wonderful quips.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    No, but I get an unpleasant vibe off of them that I find far more objectionable than any whiny crabbiness. Honestly, I find it so rank and almost palpable that I am just as surprised this go 'round as I was the last time they ran that they have such a devoted fanbase. And I really can't object to the whiny crabbiness since I have, myself, indulged in whining or crabbiness when I've been tired on the road.

ETA: Yay! I know I'm alone in this, but yay!
    Rattus, of course you're entitled to your opinion, but I have to admit that "unpleasant vibe" is a bit wide open. I do hope it's not because of something the brothers who won the race the same year the cowboys ran making that comment that can't really be verified (the one saying that Jet called one the "F-word") because that really doesn't apply to the race.

I can see where you get it though - they were a bit tense/upset when the GT's - a team who they've enjoyed their company this race, U-Turned them. And I can see it in cases where they think things are a bit unfair or were frustrated, but I've seen that with all teams. They have a more unusual way of handling it IMHO - even speaking as someone from that area. But, I factor in they're tired, frustrated, and in a race, and probably would give off that vibe.

The only team left I feel now who has that vibe start to finish is Kent/Vyxsyn, who I have to admit I feel shouldn't be in this race at all anymore because they didn't take the right flight. Other races it'd eliminated them from the get go. (doesn't mean I won't compliment them on making such a comeback; however, I do agree that they didn't follow the rules and in the case of some teams in previous years (Nancy and Emily season 1 good note) they were assessed a 24 hour penalty and eliminated).

But I'll be honest - we all have our favorites and not. And my case some teams I loathed the first time I watched them (Guido first all stars/Kisha Jen this go) I grew to enjoy and others I loved (Margie Luke in particular) I've grown to loathe. On the plus it does show we're human and we all grow/mature/act up and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Leigh View Post
    "You hit my ankle with the cart!"

Yes, I'm only halfway through it.

And for Z/J, . Do they have to eat the bread? Because bread is really filling. I think maybe they should have just tried to drink the cheese?
    Wouldn't have happened - fondue is a hot cheese usually made with wine (not always mind you). They'd burned their mouths doing that.

Plus, you have to eat it with bread. It's simply too thick.

Had they drunk it, I think they'd been told it was a no-go and had to do it again or deliver luggage.

I do love though that if it's something that's pretty decent to eat they give a huge portion of it and iuf it's gross it's usually really little to eat. Both food tasks this go were rather large portions.

I did agree with Kisha and Jen abandoning the project though and go to luggage, I would hate to be eliminated (possibly) due to a food challenge again. (the whole poop comment).

FORT Fogey

Is anyone else wondering if "sharing" answers is going to cause problems rather quickly? Now that the Cowboys, whom the rest of the competitors seemed so unduly worried about have been eliminated, will the answer "sharing" continue? And if it does, aren't some teams inevitably going to start being left out, because they're looked upon as threats to win too?

I know K/J claim to like FT/BE a lot, and J/Z like them too, but aren't they, at some point, going to have to come to terms with the fact that if they keep giving them answers that they could very well be helping them win a million dollars at their own expense? I realize J/Z didn't exactly give them the answer this time--and I have my doubts whether J really gave the women the answer so much as he thought he was just verifying it--but they did give the GTs the answer in an earlier leg, when they were having trouble with a puzzle. Or, if those three teams are in some kind of alliance to get each other to the final three, what's going to happen when M/G realize they're not going to get any more help, even if they've tried to be helpful in the past (Mallory giving Zev her earplugs so he could stand the noise in India)? I don't think K/V are especially expecting any help, but Kent was going at it with the GTs in the previews for next week about something being fair that the GTs thought wasn't. But hey, if they are willing to take free answers and pass them along to others, knowing it's going to cost other opponents, they don't really have any room to complain about anything K/V do unless it actually is something for which the show is willing to assess a penalty.

+ Reply to Thread