+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 4/24 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 4/24 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Anyone who would eat four pounds of meat when there was a way out of doing so is a complete and utter moron. And that includes all those imbeciles who choose to put their internal organs at risk in order to get a free steak and their picture on the wall of some second-rate roadhouse.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Anyone who would eat four pounds of meat when there was a way out of doing so is a complete and utter moron. And that includes all those imbeciles who choose to put their internal organs at risk in order to get a free steak and their picture on the wall of some second-rate roadhouse.
    Okay that made me laugh out loud!
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

Rob was smart enough to know the chances of actually finishing the meal (and thanks for the clarification about the meats...I must have blocked that all out...gross!) were slim to none so why waste time trying only to quit later? Lots of people do that and regret it. He was *smart* enough to recognize his weakness and then figure out a way to ensure that others would still be behind him and Amber even if the didn't complete the task and took the penalty instead. I don't think that's lazy, just smart. That was a HUGE amount of rather disgusting food to eat. I wouldn't blame anyone for trying to get out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    Sorry, but I'm not getting the admiration here. He didn't want to do a challenge he didn't like, which is the entire point of the show, and convinced others to do the same. The guy was a lazy git, as the Brits would say. I'm sorry, but after seeing poor Justin slog his way through an entire pot of fondue (when he didn't even have to), and seeing FT agonize when he gave up on that challenge in their season, I simply don't have any sympathy for those who won't even try.

And BTW, there's a steakhouse here in Texas that will give you a free meal if you finish their 72 oz. (4.5 lb) steak in one sitting. And Scottish people eat haggis, which is basically the above-mentioned food item, only with sheep guts instead of cow's. So these kinds of challenges are doable, just not palatable.
    Rob has never had a very strong stomach and has a history of doing really poorly on the Survivor awful food challenges. He knew it, he found away around it using the rules. That is a lot tougher than getting someone to give you the answer and then passing it along.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Just watched Sunday's episode. I already knew the Cowboys were out, but when I saw how Jen & Keisha - Zev & Justin gave away the answer to their friends, who'd have had to have gone back....I just felt sick.

I can understand feeling threatened by the Cowboys. But Amazing Race allowing this kind of behavior is just wrong, and I'd call it cheating. Greg and the Globetrotter got lost, just as the Cowboy did and should have had to go back.

We saw this earlier on with the sea/flags/code competition -- they did the same thing (leaving the cowboys out, once again). I guess when you allow bad behavior once, it'll continue.

Pointing out / sharing directions is one thing...giving outright answers is quite another. I recall one team in a past season being penalized for having lost their money and trading a watch and personal items in payment to a cab driver. How is that more "wrong" than giving winning answers to other teams?

Getting away with something just because you can do it doesn't make it right. I'm so disgusted with TAR right now, I can't see continuing with the season. What I saw in this episode wasn't competition in the spirit that I've expected from the show. I'm out.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post

Getting away with something just because you can do it doesn't make it right. I'm so disgusted with TAR right now, I can't see continuing with the season. What I saw in this episode wasn't competition in the spirit that I've expected from the show. I'm out.
    So is getting away with it just because you can't. Again, we're just going to have to agree to disagree about Rob. If he didn't want to do food challenges, then why bother to go on TAR? Didn't he watch past seasons? It was a challenge, and the point of the race is to at least try difficult challenges. I will never admire somebody who just sits down and quits because they think it's too hard. That's what Kent does--and that's why nobody respects him. I admire people like Z/J, who ploughed through that pot of fondue even when Justin wanted to give up, and together still managed to win their leg. Or the Cowboys, who could have easily given up in India or last week but ploughed through to the end and earned the respect of their fellow contestants.
    Last edited by Babbred; 04-27-2011 at 08:24 PM.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

So is getting away with it just because you can't. Again, we're just going to have to agree to disagree about Rob. If he didn't want to do food challenges, then why bother to go on TAR? Didn't he watch past seasons? It was a challenge, and the point of the race is to at least try difficult challenges. I will never admire somebody who just sits down and quits because they think it's too hard. That's what Kent does--and that's why nobody respects him. I admire people like Z/J, who ploughed through that pot of fondue even when Justin wanted to give up, and together still managed to win their leg. Or the Cowboys, who could have easily given up in India or last week but ploughed through to the end and earned the respect of their fellow contestants.
    Who's Rob? In this episode, I didn't pay attention after the Lichenstein measuring thing, I was done with what I consider cheating.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

And BTW, there's a steakhouse here in Texas that will give you a free meal if you finish their 72 oz. (4.5 lb) steak in one sitting. And Scottish people eat haggis, which is basically the above-mentioned food item, only with sheep guts instead of cow's. So these kinds of challenges are doable, just not palatable.
    That's the Big Texan in Amarillo - which in order for it to be free, it's the steak, a salad that fills a salad plate, shrimp cocktail, baked potato, roll, and tea. You cannot leave to do anything during that hour or you're out, and you pay up front in case you lose. So, it's kinda that large food eating challenge like the fondue and the like. Never ate it, but I've seen it attempted one time and he only had half of it done and had 10 minutes left. (You do however get to keep any leftovers, as you pay in advance and get your money back if you are successful - and have heard of stories of people getting rolls for sandwiches later on when he knew he was going to lose).

Rob did at least try part of it if I recall, as did the GT's in their challenge, but gave up and in Rob's case got others to do the same thing.

I guess that's what's always bugged me about these challenges, and wish they'd enforce stricter rules and the like on the detours, roadblocks and even U-Turns in order to have them actually race and not allow for alliances or strategies like this.

You couldn't have someone else come and eat your food for you, so how is giving someone the answer so that they don't have to actually do the challenge any better?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post

Just watched Sunday's episode. I already knew the Cowboys were out, but when I saw how Jen & Keisha - Zev & Justin gave away the answer to their friends, who'd have had to have gone back....I just felt sick.

I can understand feeling threatened by the Cowboys. But Amazing Race allowing this kind of behavior is just wrong, and I'd call it cheating. Greg and the Globetrotter got lost, just as the Cowboy did and should have had to go back.

We saw this earlier on with the sea/flags/code competition -- they did the same thing (leaving the cowboys out, once again). I guess when you allow bad behavior once, it'll continue.

Pointing out / sharing directions is one thing...giving outright answers is quite another. I recall one team in a past season being penalized for having lost their money and trading a watch and personal items in payment to a cab driver. How is that more "wrong" than giving winning answers to other teams?

Sharing answers is not against the rules. They didn't break the rules. Giving personal items as payment for the cab ride was against the rules. It isn't a matter of wrong/right it is a matter of against the rules/allowed.

+ Reply to Thread