+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 3/27 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: 3/27 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    When it came to the tea tasting, I was surprised that more of the teams didn't do what Jet did--smell the tea before tasting it. Peach is a pretty distinctive scent. If nothing else, smelling the teas should have eliminated some of them.

Once again, the cowboys remained calm, even in the traffic. I don't know why Jet does, but I wonder if Cord, who nearly died a few years ago, simply takes things more in stride, because he knows there are a lot worse things than being eliminated from a race.

Liked that the Globetrotters stopped to give the team behind them a hug. And good for them for not freaking out too much over the spilled paint too (and I had to laugh when I saw that blob of pink paint on Flight Time's head)

Finally, did anyone else wonder how some of those players could drink that much tea and not need to hit a restroom before taking off?
    I saw Mallory smelling the tea, too. I was going to say that was a smarter idea than trying to taste it. They got done pretty quickly, plus it obviously wasn't as hard as tasting the tea. I had wondered at first if there was a rule saying they had to taste it, but I guess not. But even tasting I feel like wouldn't be that much of a hassle, in terms of Luke breaking down like he did.

As to your last statement-I wondered the same thing, unless they just didn't show it. I did get a kick out of the pink paint smears on FT head. I wonder if that came out easy It was pretty funny seeing Phil string them along, too, when they got to the PS.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    I had wondered at first if there was a rule saying they had to taste it, but I guess not. But even tasting I feel like wouldn't be that much of a hassle, in terms of Luke breaking down like he did.
    I'm sure they had to taste it eventually, but smelling it could at least narrow down what they tasted, so they didn't taste things they thought smelled wrong.

Overall not a bad episode, but I have to admit I feel for the Globetrotters for being strung along like they did. I do feel they had a good distance timewise from the team prior though for Phil to do that though.

Few questions/things of interest:

1. Why was Zev wearing pajamas during the tea tasting challenge? It was just odd IMHO.

2. Love how the GTs stopped to give Margie a hug and wish her and Luke the best because - even though they were last at that leg, they could still have ended up coming from behind as India's traffic is bad enough they could overtake one of the other teams.

3. I think I have this right, but if I don't apologies - I find it IMMENSELY funny that Gary and Mallory again win the leg of the race sponsored by a drink, get a meal and then get a cash prize. I think they're the team that won the 7Up prize last season with the $7,000 prize and a meal. I just hope this doesn't foreshadow the next leg of the race (last go they were eliminated the next go.

4. Kisha and Jen now have bragging rights on outlasting their "foes" from the last race they ran in Margie and Luke.

5. Luke did have quite a few childish behaviors, and I do think he let his emotions get to him, but I will take it with a grain of salt as we do not know how long these guys have been doing these challenges, how much sleep they've had and other factors that may be personal. He was crying at the end because of those factors and at the Pit Stop of course because he blamed himself (rightfully) for them being eliminated. I would cry too if my race was over in this game if I were racing - it's a natural reaction - disability (and people's opinions about coddling or the like) or not.

6. Most of the teams just seem really laid back this season and congratulate or help out others. I think they're all racing for the money mind you; however, they all seem to understand that this race is MORE than the money - it's something to experience and enjoy because it may be the only time (or here twice) you get to do it, so don't ignore it over trying to get money.

7. Kisha and Jen not thinking to look under the cap of the tea was ridiculous - I mean, even tilting a bottle you can see markings under a lid. They were lucky there to even find out about the clue.

8. Poor Globetrotters had to do their contortionist act in order to even ride in the Taxis.

9. I can see why several people chose to paint Ganesha instead of deliver books - you don't risk the cart being lost or kids/people crowding the bus because of the cameras and the like. Ganesha at least you were in ONE place and you had something to follow. Two points here - loved Ron's reaction to the music and the GT's could've had a major game changer with the paint spill. They were lucky to recover.

and

10. I think Tea is the least offensive thing they've had to do as far as "gross food challenges," either first or second to the caviar, which you ate a lot of but still better than other options.

I mean - it was not like they had to eat lightly cooked live squid, lots of food trying to find five small pieces of fake food or fried scorpions and starfish.

FORT Regular

All of them knew the ingredients of the tea because they had to present a mango and papaya to start. Ron realized early that sniffing the tea first would be smart and even said "this one smells like mango" before bringing it up front. Eventually 2-3 others figured it out.

Teams so often get caught up in the rush, rush it's a race mentality that they don't take a moment to think things out logically or pay attention to details even something so basic as double checking the clue.

Ron was surprisingly low keyed this episode. Not so Luke. Being deaf entails a lot of frustration because of the difficulty of communicating in many situations. At 25 one would hope he had learned how to handle frustration.

FORT Newbie

Seriously...I felt for Luke...he could have quit and took a penalty but he didn't...he kept going and that to me shows strength and overcoming a difficult situation when you cannot speak or hear!! Loved how the Indian men were all surrounding him and clapping for him -- it was a show of human behavior and loving your fellow man.

Generally if you lose one of your senses, the other ones tend to be more highly evolved, so I was kind-of surprised Luke didn't do so well in this leg. I thought his sense of smell for the mango/papaya would have had him cruising through. Guess not.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post
    Generally if you lose one of your senses, the other ones tend to be more highly evolved, so I was kind-of surprised Luke didn't do so well in this leg. I thought his sense of smell for the mango/papaya would have had him cruising through. Guess not.
    That thought crossed my mind too Maybaybie.

FORT Fan

At the first tea tasting, Luke said, "I don't know what this is" Margie should have been listening and done the task instead.
    Trust Me!

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by spinozasright View Post
    What does Margie think when they see the videos of this 20 something acting like a frustrated four year-old? This kid has been crippled by enabling, his hearing is the least of his struggles.
    I have to admit, I thought the same thing. He's 20 something and I know being a deaf-mute cannot be easy, but he is emotionally way younger than his years. I grew up with someone with these same challenges and she was more mature than the average person her age. Just. don't. get. it.

Also, I do think Zev's autism seems to have been even more obvious this time around. I so admire Justin for the way he deals with Zev. He amazes me.
    Last edited by NCLurker; 03-28-2011 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post
    I am completely deaf in one ear, have literally no sense of smell, and my vision worsens by the year. That is a complete myth that your other senses evolve if you lose one - you tend to pay more attention to the senses that function, but they aren't actually better than normal.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread