Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Margie and Luke - TAR 18

Margie and Luke - TAR 18

Name (Age): Margie Adams (53)
    Hometown: Colorado Springs, Colo.
    Connection to your Teammate: Mother
    Current Occupation: RN, BSN, Clinical Research Associate
    Previous Season/Result: Season 14/3rd place

Biggest mistake you made in your previous season: Not drinking enough water and becoming dehydrated in Thailand. I fainted.

Most memorable moment from your first Race: Finishing in first place for the first leg of the Race.

Favorite place you visited on your first season: Thailand, it was number one on my wish list for Season 14 so getting to go to both Bangkok and Phuket was fantastic.

Why do you want to run the Race again? It was one of the most exciting and best experiences of my life. I am looking forward to all the new places we will go.

How have you changed since the last time you competed? I am more confident and more willing to try new things.

What are you passionate about? People being kind and accepting of each other

People would be surprised to learn: Nothing, I'm pretty boring.

One location that you hope to go on this adventure: Ireland, my grandparents are from there and I would love to see the country.

Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on the Race together: Some of the challenges require you to be able to listen/hear/sign and when those challenges come up we have to pick the other challenge since Luke is completely deaf. He cannot hear or use oral language.

What do you hope to accomplish by running the Race again (other than winning one million dollars): Getting to spend time one-on-one with Luke

Pet peeve about your teammate: He is a very loud eater.

What would you do if you won the million dollars? Retire a few years earlier than planned.

Any strategic changes you will make heading into this Race: We need to be more careful about reading the clues.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name (Age): Luke Adams (25)
    Hometown: Colorado Springs, Colo.
    Connection to your Teammate: Son
    Current Occupation: Motivational Speaker
    Previous Season/Result: Season 14/3rd place

Biggest mistake you made in your previous season: My biggest mistake was not being able to figure out what the last surfboard was during the final challenge!

Most memorable moment from your first Race: The hilarious cheese hill task and the underwear marathon.

Favorite place you visited on your first season: Thailand because the country and culture are just so beautiful. I would love to go there again someday.

Why do you want to run the Race again? To win The Amazing Race! I want to make up for my big blunder in the final leg of the last race.

How have you changed since the last time you competed? I stop more when I am traveling now to enjoy the scenery. I try not to rush things.

What are you passionate about? Travel, my family and friends.

People would be surprised to learn: I'm afraid of flying. I always have to suck it up whenever I'm on planes.

One location that you hope to go on this adventure: Ireland, because it would be awesome to see where my family came from.

Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on the Race together: Being sleep deprived!

What do you hope to accomplish by running the Race again (other than winning one million dollars): It would be cool if we could visit five continents, avoid being u-turned and be the first team to make it to the final three twice!

Pet peeve about your teammate: Nothing -- she is an awesome teammate and mom!

What would you do if you won the million dollars? Invest.

Any strategic changes you will make heading into this Race: I don't think I will change anything since our strategy from last time worked well. Hopefully it will bring us to the final three again and we can win this time!

Amazing Race Cast: Margie and Luke on CBS
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Re: Margie and Luke - TAR 18

I'm not so happy to see this pair coming back. Hopefully Luke has matured. I can't help recalling the many times he lost his temper and/or patience, when the task did NOT have anything to do with hearing ability.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I couldnt stand Luke and his mom when they were on before. So far, they seem ok. Must have taken a good look at the tape from their season and saw what D-bags they both were.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Finally, Luke got to do a challenge without mom signing to him all the time. That is, unless she was on the sidelines out of sight. I know she told him the set up, but I think it showed him performing the arrow task without further assistance. That's great because they are trying to show that the deaf can go out into the world on their own and do very well. If she continually guides him, then that purpose will have been nullified.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I really wanted to like this team the first time around- just couldn't do it after a while. They did seem to learn a lot from the first go around and seem a lot better this time.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

Who is John Galt?

What a big baby this guy is. Hey mom, stop enabling your son . . he is deaf not stupid or mentally impaired. He is a man and acts like a little child. Personally, I am glad they are gone. I could stand watching his attitude "I just can't do it mom" or his dropping to the ground and writhing around crying . . spoiled child x ten.

Quote Originally Posted by aname2 View Post
    What a big baby this guy is. Hey mom, stop enabling your son . . he is deaf not stupid or mentally impaired. He is a man and acts like a little child. Personally, I am glad they are gone. I could stand watching his attitude "I just can't do it mom" or his dropping to the ground and writhing around crying . . spoiled child x ten.
    Do you know for sure he isn't mentally challenged? I got a vibe off him that said his needs went beyond a hearing deficit.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Fort Member

I have worked with many hearing impared people and they tend to take a little longer to mature. I am generalising but the majority who lived at home and worked close to home and did not tend to go away to college or travel far or do things on their own as much as a young adults with full hearing would.
    It can be a sheltered life for some and I think this is why in some cases their maturity can be stilted. Luke was typical of the kids I worked with in no way mentally challanged just at a lower maturity level
    Mind you even a hearing person can be immature at 25 if they have never ventured much outside the family unit or just kept to a small group of like friends

My sister is deaf and is 25 but would remind someone of a teenager. No one, I repeat no one can fully understand someone who is deaf unless they themselves are deaf or has a loved one who is deaf. I commend Luke for what he accomplished. My sister gets frustrated with certain tasks because she's doing her best but it's taking longer... Her frustration is expressed by crying and what some people think is whining, but that is how she expresses herself through her disability. She can't speak her frustration so she uses other expressions. I would never call my sister or deaf person a "baby" for expressing themselves out of frustration. I thought Luke did an amazing job. I wish they stayed longer.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

To the Point

I haven't been very tolerant of his immaturity because I did grow up with a close famiy friend who was deaf and was very mature. I know that isn't fair of me, yet every week he got on my last nerve.
    The first time they were on I was much more tolerant and defensive on his behalf.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast