+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 10/31 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: 10/31 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

I am distressed that I am finding this show boring. I am usually a diehard AR fan.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;4095237;
    Film-searching through thousands of film strips
    Music-listening and matching classical music compositions

Both seem tough. I think though that for those musically inclined this would be an easy challenge.
    The music one would have been trivial for someone with any classical music knowledge. Pictures at an Exhibition is one of the most well-known compositions ever to come out of Russia, and Scheherazade isn't that far behind it. I recognized both of those without the captions straight off the gramophone. Troika isn't exactly obscure either (though I didn't recognize it off the bat). Had any of them known ANYTHING about classical music they would have sailed through in mere minutes. Me, I was in pain at how hard they were finding it...

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;4095778;
    She said that?! I don't remember that at all... :s
    It was the episode in which they were leaving for Ghana. To me, it's just one of the better examples of her trying to be cute, but it ends up irking me completely the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by jsciv;4095907;
    The music one would have been trivial for someone with any classical music knowledge. Pictures at an Exhibition is one of the most well-known compositions ever to come out of Russia, and Scheherazade isn't that far behind it. I recognized both of those without the captions straight off the gramophone. Troika isn't exactly obscure either (though I didn't recognize it off the bat).
    I'd like to think that my knowledge of classical music is at least okay, but I guess my knowledge of Russian music is a bit off. I LOVE Scheherazade (the orchestral version's way better), but I wasn't really familiar with Pictures at an Exhibition or Troika. It doesn't help that the only thing I know well from Mussorgsky is Night on Bald Mountain and I'm just not a big fan of Tchaikovsky. I like Prokofiev much more!

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Hawk
    It was the episode in which they were leaving for Ghana. To me, it's just one of the better examples of her trying to be cute, but it ends up irking me completely the wrong way.
    "Ghana, Ghana, here we come... oh, I hope I get to hold little African babies..."

Yeah, I can see where people can find her irritatingly cutesy and annoying.
    I like her though because she's so benign... harmless little dork that she is.

I think what's bothering me is that Kevin underestimates his father too much. I love them, but Kevin shouldn't always be going on about how his dad is a liability.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hawk;4096095;
    I'd like to think that my knowledge of classical music is at least okay, but I guess my knowledge of Russian music is a bit off. I LOVE Scheherazade (the orchestral version's way better), but I wasn't really familiar with Pictures at an Exhibition or Troika. It doesn't help that the only thing I know well from Mussorgsky is Night on Bald Mountain and I'm just not a big fan of Tchaikovsky. I like Prokofiev much more!
    No, if you only know one Mussorgsky you'll know Night on Bald Mountain. I said Pictures was "one of", but definitely Night is more famous.

That said, I didn't mean that anyone would necessarily KNOW all three, but if you have an ear for classical music at all, you should be able to pick out the relevant melodies in each segment. It didn't sound like they were playing excerpts that were more than a minute or so (if that), so if you're used to listening to classical I don't see this being a significant challenge. The likelihood of you knowing at least one of three very famous pieces just means that the challenge would become even easier.

I was sad that so many teams were so stymied by the music.

Quote Originally Posted by jsciv;4095907;
    The music one would have been trivial for someone with any classical music knowledge. Pictures at an Exhibition is one of the most well-known compositions ever to come out of Russia, and Scheherazade isn't that far behind it. I recognized both of those without the captions straight off the gramophone. Troika isn't exactly obscure either (though I didn't recognize it off the bat). Had any of them known ANYTHING about classical music they would have sailed through in mere minutes. Me, I was in pain at how hard they were finding it...
    Ah, Russia, home to some of the best classical music ever written...

"Pictures"--originally written as a lengthy piano composition in the 1880's (? sometime in the late 19th century), and only orchestrated later by other composers. I prefer the original because I think it's cool how the artist conjures up images with just a piano.

"Troika"--love this one! Kind of the Russian "Jingle Bells." Although not specifically a Christmas tune, it always conjures up images for me of a merry sleigh ride through snowy countryside, with the riders on their way to a party. Hence, Christmas.

JSCIV, you're right. Even if you know nothing about classical music, the tunes to those songs are pretty memorable. Just a brief listen and you should be able to pick them up.

I was going to catch the episode on the internet, but now I'm not sure. Like you, I feel pain at people not recognizing some of the world's most glorious music and abandoning it...
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

To the Point

Regarding the music challenge. I think that at least some of the problem came from having so many pianist playing in close proximity all at the same time. I also think that those that were not playing the three songs they were required to "find" were playing songs that may have had some similarities. Also, doing it one song at a time would have been much easier as was shown in the end.

I'm pretty good with classical music, But I agree that all the pianists playing so closely together had to be very difficult.
    The poor teams had to have been suffering from sensory over-stimulation with so many playing at once.
    I would have easily become frustrated and a nervous wreck like so many did.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker;4096661;
    Regarding the music challenge. I think that at least some of the problem came from having so many pianist playing in close proximity all at the same time. I also think that those that were not playing the three songs they were required to "find" were playing songs that may have had some similarities. Also, doing it one song at a time would have been much easier as was shown in the end.
    I think if you have an ear for classical, you'd have been able to pick it out. Much like country or bollywood or pop all "sound the same" until you've trained your ear, classical piano really is easy to tell apart once you have the feel of it.

But yes, Nick and Vicki doing them one at a time was absolutely the right way to go: it's too bad all of the teams got The Panicks and ran around flailing...

Too bad Nick/Vickie didn't think to do that earlier. I hated seeing them come in last. It was also refreshing to hear that Nick was ashamed of how he acted. I really do like this couple a lot.

I like Mallory. I was expecting a beauty queen who would cry when she broke a nail and complain the whole time. I've been pleasantly surprised. She's not like that at all.

Chad and Steph can leave any time now. You could tell he was holding his temper. His face was bright red with anger.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast