+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What do the teams have to carry?

FORT Regular

What do the teams have to carry?

This episode, from sweltering Ghana to the Arctic Circle, has made me wonder again whether the teams are given lists of things that they are expected to have with them. I understand that they can NOT have laptops, cell phones, PDAs etc. But are they required to have parkas, swim suits, sleeping bags, hiking boots, running shoes, etc.? It often looks to me like those packs are bigger than I would want to run the race with (you're not an average tourist; how many changes of clothes do you really need?). But if you're required to be ready for anything anywhere, that could mean a lot of stuff. Do they get a list, or do they just pack everything they think they might use?

Re: What do the teams have to carry?

I believe they do get a list of things they'll need, and then are given liberty to carry things they'll want or think they'll need during the race. Teams will always carry water bottles and snacks such as energy bars to keep their strength up and not having to stop to eat in the middle of a leg, and in TAR China Rush, a girl from a team was seen carrying yogurt cups for snacks, which helped her immensly in a task involving eating hot peppers. Other things we've seen teams carry to help out have been compasses, alarm clocks, calculators, and those things to count, I don't know how to describe them, but it's metallic and has a button on one side that when you click it adds a number to a counter, and these have been invaluable to teams sposessing them in tasks where you have to count a lot of stuff.

As far as I know, in regards to why the packs look so huge, well, they have to carry different changes of clothes, plus swimsuits, clothing for cold weathers (and we know sweaters and jackets can take up a lot of space), possibly even sleeping bags for if they have to sleep outside. We've seen times during the race when, as it gets to the end, teams just leave clothes and stuff behind so as to lighten the load in their backpacks, because as they are getting to the end, they figure they won't need to carry changes of clothes anymore.

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant;4088052;
    I believe they do get a list of things they'll need, and then are given liberty to carry things they'll want or think they'll need during the race. Teams will always carry water bottles and snacks such as energy bars to keep their strength up and not having to stop to eat in the middle of a leg, and in TAR China Rush, a girl from a team was seen carrying yogurt cups for snacks, which helped her immensly in a task involving eating hot peppers. Other things we've seen teams carry to help out have been compasses, alarm clocks, calculators, and those things to count, I don't know how to describe them, but it's metallic and has a button on one side that when you click it adds a number to a counter, and these have been invaluable to teams sposessing them in tasks where you have to count a lot of stuff.

As far as I know, in regards to why the packs look so huge, well, they have to carry different changes of clothes, plus swimsuits, clothing for cold weathers (and we know sweaters and jackets can take up a lot of space), possibly even sleeping bags for if they have to sleep outside. We've seen times during the race when, as it gets to the end, teams just leave clothes and stuff behind so as to lighten the load in their backpacks, because as they are getting to the end, they figure they won't need to carry changes of clothes anymore.
    There was also that team that carried duct tape. Plus they have the smaller packs with passports and money.

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant;4088052;
    As far as I know, in regards to why the packs look so huge, well, they have to carry different changes of clothes, plus swimsuits, clothing for cold weathers (and we know sweaters and jackets can take up a lot of space), possibly even sleeping bags for if they have to sleep outside.
    Actually, I'm pretty sure that when they travel to climates below freezing the production provides them with heavy coats and some specific winter-wear for that locale. They don't travel through tropical climates with that gear in their bags.

Quote Originally Posted by jsciv;4091312;
    Actually, I'm pretty sure that when they travel to climates below freezing the production provides them with heavy coats and some specific winter-wear for that locale. They don't travel through tropical climates with that gear in their bags.
    Production provides them with heavy coats for extreme climate only.

I always wondered what they're given for each leg (if anything) versus what they carry with them through the entire race. It seems that their packs are large, but I've always wondered if they're large enough for carrying things from start to finish.

+ Reply to Thread