+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't we do better than this?

FORT Regular

Can't we do better than this?

Maybe it's just me, but it always bothers me a lot when TAR sends teams out to hustle the locals. According to this, those crappy sunglasses were being sold for just under the Ghanaian minimum DAILY wage of 3.17 cedis (around $2):
    Minimum wage goes up in Ghana by 17%

Imagine working for $2 A DAY. Sure, some people earn more. But it's still a big piece of change from a very small pocket. Maybe this isn't as bad as sending last-place teams out to beg for cash in third-world countries. But it would be much more interesting, and more competitive, to send teams into the marketplace to BUY a list of specified goods in a specified order, with every team getting a slightly different list so they wouldn't all be following each other. TAR could be contributing a little to local economies, not taking their money away.

Re: Can't we do better than this?

Well, they didn't keep the money for selling the sunglasses, they gave it to the employer. His workers try to sell sunglasses everyday. They are not trying to have them sell something that isn't sold in the local economy anyway. So I see them as contributing to the economy, just not with TAR money. I'm sure where ever they are they are paying some fee for the pit stop, food provided, etc. The taxi drivers are being paid directly by the contestants.

I don't know, the only issue I have is the person who would have sold the sunglasses not getting the money, instead it going directly to the employer. Although we don't know that isn't what happens anyway.
    Some Heros wear capes....mine wears combat boots and kevlar....

CCL

I wouldn't be surprised if TAR helped - or encouraged - some of the locals to buy the sunglasses. It always seems to amaze me how many people end up buying the item being sold...50+ pairs of sunglasses sold in how long?
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;4076775;
    I wouldn't be surprised if TAR helped - or encouraged - some of the locals to buy the sunglasses. It always seems to amaze me how many people end up buying the item being sold...50+ pairs of sunglasses sold in how long?
    Don't underestimate the selling power granted by the fact that you've got a cameraman and sound guy following you around while you're trying it. There are a lot of people who will eventually buy just because they're on teevee...

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;4076775;
    I agree. Though it is impossible to determine the amount of time it took them to sell the glasses it sure seemed fishy that all the teams were able to complete the task in a similar amount of time. I will give a nod to the camera being enticing but still.

There has to be some manipulation behind the scenes. We saw a blatant maneuver when Rob and Amber were headed to the win being the only team on the last flight, only to see them open the door to allow the other team on. That just never happens.

They didn't win the Emmy this year for the first time since the reality catagory was instituted. I was glad to see Top Chef take it. That and Project Runway are the least manipulated if at all.

I put this show on my DVR and watch, skipping a lot. I wish they would show how they get their meals. A little behind the scenes footage would be a relief to the insane chaos of racing.

shoepie;4077194;]

There has to be some manipulation behind the scenes. We saw a blatant maneuver when Rob and Amber were headed to the win being the only team on the last flight, only to see them open the door to allow the other team on. That just never happens.
    Oh that burned my butt. :nono I couldn't believe that that happened. And it was blatant because in light of 9/11, there is no way they would stop a plane for a mere 2 passengers. Ugh.

I put this show on my DVR and watch, skipping a lot. I wish they would show how they get their meals. A little behind the scenes footage would be a relief to the insane chaos of racing.
    I've been watching online because football always runs over and the cable company hasn't figured out how to make the DVR's record accordingly. But I agree, I would LOVE for something online for this show like they have for Survivor. Footage from The Ponderosa is terrific.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Oh that burned my butt. I couldn't believe that that happened. And it was blatant because in light of 9/11, there is no way they would stop a plane for a mere 2 passengers. Ugh.
    My husband has had a pilot reopen the doors and allow him to board at least three times, all post 9/11.
    On his own, with no camera crew.
    If you're polite, make a passioned plea and charm the airport staff it can be done.
    Last edited by fluff; 10-06-2010 at 03:00 AM.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;4077232;
    But I agree, I would LOVE for something online for this show like they have for Survivor. Footage from The Ponderosa is terrific.
    They do have this; it's called Elimination Station. It follows the first 5 teams after the elimination as they're sequestered in some vacation spot (past seasons went to places like Vietnam and Mexico). Once the 6th team is eliminated, they call them on the phone to get an update. (The last 6 teams remaining have to run the remaining race. When you're eliminated at that point, you still go on the race as decoys.)
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;4077971;
    They do have this; it's called Elimination Station. It follows the first 5 teams after the elimination as they're sequestered in some vacation spot (past seasons went to places like Vietnam and Mexico). Once the 6th team is eliminated, they call them on the phone to get an update. (The last 6 teams remaining have to run the remaining race. When you're eliminated at that point, you still go on the race as decoys.)
    Ah, thank you. I really should go to the website more often, eh?
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;4077971;
    They do have this; it's called Elimination Station. It follows the first 5 teams after the elimination as they're sequestered in some vacation spot (past seasons went to places like Vietnam and Mexico).
    Looks like they're in Cancun this year. Watched the Elimination Station footage after the mom and daughter got there. It was nice watching them getting to know the first guys who were eliminated, and they were really grateful for the chance to spend some quality time together. (Sorry, I'm terrible with names and didn't look them up before posting.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast