+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 10/3 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 10/3 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Leigh;4076234;
    Yeah, I know, but I was asking if you (or anyone else here) knew about him before. As in, am I the only one here who'd never heard of him before?
    I never heard of him before. I do like them though and hope they go far.

I'm hoping the scene in the previews between Kevin and Michael is a smokescreen. I loved that Dad jumped all over the sunglasses task.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

I agree Mariner, I hope it is a smoke screen too. Not ready for father and son to go home yet.

Mom and daughter will still have plenty of time at elimination station to get to know each other and it will be easier because they won't have the stress of the race to interfer.
    Friends are those rare people who ask how you are and then wait for the answer. ~Author Unknown

FORT Newbie

I was so looking forward to this episode... apparently we just missed the racers (we were in Ghana at the time but left the day they arrived May 29th)! We were on a three week trip to west Africa (Mali, Benin, Ghana).

We wanted to go to the coffin makers in Accra, but had to get some visas taken care of and between traffic and bureaucracy it ended up taking our whole free day. We did visit Independence Square (the large plaza with arches seen in the helicopter shots).

A few things we noticed:
    a) Ghana is very modern, clean, safe and organized. They mentioned seeing the trash on the show, but we actually saw very little except around the shantytown near the airport. ATMs are plentiful and out in the open on the street.
    b) Traffic.. very bad. we spent over an hour in traffic just going a few miles on our way out of the city. Meanwhile vendors are walking through traffic, selling everything imaginable from superglue to grandfather clocks.
    c) It was murderously hot in late May
    d) We ran into alot of Americans there, either Peace Corps or missionaries
    e) See d) Ghanians are very religious.. all the little stores are named 'God be with us curtains' or 'The Blood of Jesus laundry', etc.
    f) You get a much better exchange rate when exchanging $100's (cedis 1.42:$1 instead of $20's (cedis 1.20 or 1.30:$1).

So far I'm liking all these teams especially Brooke and Claire and team Jumba. Brooke got such a "go for it" attitude and she was so nice to the the people there. Her voice is a bit bothersome. She kinda reminds me of Mirna (of Charla and Mirna). she had the same type of voice but was way more annoying.

CCL

Thanks for the insight travelman93! I love the names of the stores.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

let me re-phrase that.... I meant to say Mirna was the more annoying one...Not Brooke.

Quote Originally Posted by travelman93;4076589;
    I was so looking forward to this episode... apparently we just missed the racers (we were in Ghana at the time but left the day they arrived May 29th)! We were on a three week trip to west Africa (Mali, Benin, Ghana).

We wanted to go to the coffin makers in Accra, but had to get some visas taken care of and between traffic and bureaucracy it ended up taking our whole free day. We did visit Independence Square (the large plaza with arches seen in the helicopter shots).

A few things we noticed:
    a) Ghana is very modern, clean, safe and organized. They mentioned seeing the trash on the show, but we actually saw very little except around the shantytown near the airport. ATMs are plentiful and out in the open on the street.
    b) Traffic.. very bad. we spent over an hour in traffic just going a few miles on our way out of the city. Meanwhile vendors are walking through traffic, selling everything imaginable from superglue to grandfather clocks.
    c) It was murderously hot in late May
    d) We ran into alot of Americans there, either Peace Corps or missionaries
    e) See d) Ghanians are very religious.. all the little stores are named 'God be with us curtains' or 'The Blood of Jesus laundry', etc.
    f) You get a much better exchange rate when exchanging $100's (cedis 1.42:$1 instead of $20's (cedis 1.20 or 1.30:$1).
    Welcome! Thank you for the fascinating insights. I kind of wondered about "Peace Auto Parts" during the episode. I guess maybe it's named after Prince of Peace?

I loved Team Glee and their comments in the taxi. I, too, have ridden in foreign taxis so I could relate. I thought it was cool that their taxi driver (and that other one) was willing to do that for them.

Loved the coffins. I told hubby to start saving up, because when I die I want to be buried in the camera one.

Good old Brooke. I probably would have climbed everywhere, too, if that's what it took to complete the challenge. Great attitude!

No, I hadn't heard of Jumba Kevin, either. I'm an old fogey, so I don't venture to You Tube all that often. I thought he was named after a smoothie place.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Well, I watched my very first episode EVER of TAR Sunday night. I thought it was the premiere, but alas, I missed the first episode. I thought I would start watching some new shows this season, but TAR just didn't do it for me. I hope I can get into it, because I plan to continue watching to give it a chance.

I watched my first season of Big Brother this year and really liked it, The Apprentice, not doing it for me and Survivor: Nicaragua, which I am really enjoying. I'm going to hang in there for a bit with TAR. Since it's an award winning show, it's got to be good. However, it may be a case of different strokes for different folks!

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by n4692u;4080266;
    Well, I watched my very first episode EVER of TAR Sunday night. I thought it was the premiere, but alas, I missed the first episode. I thought I would start watching some new shows this season, but TAR just didn't do it for me. I hope I can get into it, because I plan to continue watching to give it a chance.

I watched my first season of Big Brother this year and really liked it, The Apprentice, not doing it for me and Survivor: Nicaragua, which I am really enjoying. I'm going to hang in there for a bit with TAR. Since it's an award winning show, it's got to be good. However, it may be a case of different strokes for different folks!
    Catch the Premiere episode online at the CBS site. It is worth it. This cast is much nicer (so far) and much less whiny (so far) than previous seasons. But, give them time.

What I like best is getting to see some of the local culture and scenery in countries I will never visit on my own. The things you can't experience through your TV are the smells and the weather. I was sitting in comfort while, according to travelman 93, the contestants were faced with stifling heat.

It's early stages yet...the footraces along with the challenges get more daunting as the episodes progress. At some point they will probably have to eat some (disgusting to us) local delicacy, zip line or bungy jump...or like last year, drink a lot of beer.

Give it a chance...go watch the episode(s) you missed and maybe pick up some from last season. You will grow to adore Phil's eyebrow lift at the mat.

P.S. My heart skipped a beat when I thought the doctors were in real jeopardy for finishing last and being eliminated. I like that Father/Son are bonding and had a laugh at the Glee Club's unintentional comedy in the taxi. Hey - at least the taxi's drivers spoke English, so we weren't subjected to Rapido...rapido! But, wow...those were some hair-raising, pant wetting rides.

I really hope Kevin (?) the Father gets hydrated enough to continue as I really like how he stepped up his game.

Let's see how well Brooke/Claire do when they can't sell something and have to push a wheelbarrow...but, wait...the mellon to the head didn't slow them down.

I am really enjoying this season!
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast