Thread: Gary & Mallory - TAR 17

Gary & Mallory - TAR 17

Gary & Mallory

Gary Ervin

Hometown: Morganfield, Ky.

Connection to your Teammate: Father

Current occupation: Entrepreneur

Favorite hobbies: Triathlon, scuba diving and hunting/fishing

Achievements: Building a company from the ground up with my family to become one of the largest in the industry; getting my commercial pilots license and logging over 5000 hours; and, I wrestled and coached for University of Central Missouri and Union County High School.

Lifelong to do list: Be a better husband, father and friend

What scares you most about traveling? Being out of the country if something were to happen to my family

What excites you most about traveling? Learning about different people and cultures

If I could switch places with someone: No one - I'm not perfect, but I'm happy with who I am.

Role model/hero: My parents - I still strive to make them proud of me.

What are you passionate about? My family, work, faith and fitness

What would you do if you won the million dollars? If I were to win the million dollars I would help as many people with it as I could.

People would be surprised to learn: I ran 13 marathons and a half Ironman triathlon after I turned 45.

Favorite place you have ever visited: Ngoro Ngoro crater in Tanzania

Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on the Race together: The biggest obstacle of running the Race will be living up to our family's expectation that we are going to win.

What do you hope to accomplish by running the Race (other then winning one million bucks)? I would like to win for my family and community. I hope to represent both well so that they will be proud of my effort.

Pet peeve about your teammate: My daughter has a stubborn streak -- a lot like me.

Mallory Ervin

Hometown: Lexington, Ky.

Connection to your Teammate: Daughter

Current occupation: Miss Kentucky 2009

Favorite hobbies: Performing, spending time with my family on our farm and thrill seeking activities like skydiving and bungee jumping

Achievements: I was very proud of being selected as 4th runner up at Miss America. It was something that I have worked and prepared for my entire life.

Lifelong to do list: Perform on Broadway! I also love motivational speaking and would love to find a way to continue this throughout my life. Lastly, I want to make my family proud.

What scares you most about traveling? Being out of the country if something was to happen to my family

What excites you most about traveling? I love diving blindly into new cultures and cities - the food, the language and the general attitude toward life. I also love that feeling that I have when I return home and realize all the good things that I have right here.

If I could switch places with someone: Phil, because he gets to do The Amazing Race every season.

Role model/hero: My dad

What are you passionate about? My family, singing and helping others find joy in life

What would you do if you won the million dollars? I would give some of it to the organizations that helped me along my way to achieve my dreams -- the Miss America and Miss Kentucky Organization, Autism Awareness as well as the Catholic grade school and public high school I attended. I would save or invest the rest. My father will probably disagree.

People would be surprised to learn: I've already made a million dollars - for charity. When I was Miss Kentucky I sold a country ham for 1.3 million dollars and all the money went to local charities in my state.

Favorite place you have ever visited: Rome, Italy

Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on the Race together: We're both very stubborn so we will have to learn how to give a little. We also need to work on trusting each other.

What do you hope to accomplish by running the Race (other then winning one million bucks)? I hope to have the adventure of a lifetime and an experience to share with my Dad. He is a huge fan and has never missed an episode. It would mean a lot to him to be able to run the Race together.

Pet peeve about your teammate: Biggest pet peeve about my dad is that he never thinks about himself.

Re: Gary & Mallory - TAR 17

Miss Kentucky 2009 as your occupation? Really?
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

It IS an occupation and a very busy one until the next one is crowned. She seems to be an aspiring actress if she wants to perform on Broadway. Nothing wrong with that that I can see.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I actually kind of like this team, I think--he is a huge fan and heck--she can get over a million dollars out of a ham?
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I love this team! I think they might be my favorite so far. I usually love parent/child teams and these two seem really nice and funny. And I love that he's such a big fan of that show - I think that is so cute.

I'd rather co-host with Phil

Glad he's such a fan and she wants to help her Dad experience a dream.

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;4054406;
    Miss Kentucky 2009 as your occupation? Really?
    Have you ever watched Miss America? The winner is expected to travel around for the next year doing all kinds of charity visits. You pretty much have no life until you pass the crown to your successor. That's why I was surprised that the pageant people let her go. Maybe they wanted the publicity?

All this aside, I love this team! I love Mallory's attitude, and she seems to have a great relationship with her father. I hope they go far.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

They did not disappoint me in the first episode. I love Mallory's attitude and her spunkyness - she's just too cute! I also really love the relationship she has with her father, I wish I could have something similar with my dad. I'd love to see them go far! (the preview for next week did worry me a bit.)

I have to admit I was prepared not to and even expected not to like her.
    I found her very sweet though. I think she has a lovely attitude and she seems to be a genuinely very nice person.
    I hope that she remains so during the rest of the Race because this team is shaping up to be a favourite of mine.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fan

I totally expected to just hate her, but while she IS everlastingly perky, it seems to be absolutely genuine. She has come off as completely endearing.

I loved how she laughed in the first episode when Nat and Kat said that they called her "Sunshine".

Mallory just really seems to love her dad, and treats him with love, kindness and respect.

Can't believe that this team and Brooke and Claire are my two favorites - never would have picked them from the bios!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast