+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Week 2 - **Spoilers**

Week 2 - **Spoilers**

This thread contains locations and events which will be spoiler info. If you don't want to see them, don't read this!

Ok, here it finally is:

TV Guide wrote an article in this week's published magazine called "Road Warriors". Two women from TV Guide were allowed to compete in the second leg of the race, but had to start a half hour after the final team. (cue music) This is their story.

Wednesday, 5:06am (so we know that Kevin & Drew leave at 4:36am) - leave from Hacienda San Gabriel de las Playas, in Morelos Mexico. Here's the first clue:

"Drive yourselves to Teotihuacan. You'll find your next clue at the top of the Pyramid of the Sun."

The POTS is just outside Mexico City, but it takes this group 5 hours to find it. Along the way, we're told that teams are NOT allowed to start a leg with a map, but may acquire one on the way. Teams are given $360 for this leg. Also, all money given on each leg is in US Dollars, and must be converted if necessary into local currency.

Anyway, POTS is 248 steep steps up, at an elevation of 7,000 feet, which makes it a fun climb. Then next clue is:

"Drive yourselves to Mexico City, then travel by bus to Cancun."

At 12:30pm, they arrive at the bus station, where they find 5 other TAR3 teams (including Ian & Teri). They board the bus for the TWENTY-FOUR hour bus ride to Cancun.

Around midnight, the bus hits a car, stranding the 5 teams. However, a new bus arrives in about an hour, and they're back on the way.

Arrival in Cancun at 1:20pm (which, if it is exactly a 24-hour trip, puts them an hour and 20 minutes behind the other teams?)

"DETOUR: Manpower or horsepower."

The next clue is floating in Nichupte Lagoon, and they have to choose Wave Runners or Kayaks to search for it. Wave Runners have a 7 square mile search area, while Kayaks have a 1/2 mile search area. This would be where 2 teams fall off their waverunners.

"Get to Chankanab on the island of Cozumel."

Teams make their way to Playa del Carmen to catch a ferry to the island. TV Guide team arrives at 3:30pm, and arrive at Cozumel at 5:45pm. They take a taxi to the Chankanab National Park, where they find the Roadblock.

"A roadblock is a task that only one person may perform - be ready for the swim of a lifetime."

Person is given goggles and flippers, and has to dive for the clue, which this team finds in a few minutes. By 7pm, they're back on the ferry to PdC.

"Drive yourselves to the pit stop - Diamante K Bungalows in Tulum."

Tulum is about an hour south of PdC, and this team arrives at 9:55pm, where they are the second-to-the-last team to arrive.

They've gone 41 hours, 1500 miles, spent $342, and used 6 modes of transportation.

First of all $360 seems like a lot more than they usually get.
    Second of all, allowing the tv guide people to do this and then publish it before the show airs seems rather strange to me
    "That's Numberwang!"

so we know that Kevin & Drew leave at 4:36am
    Flash back there John?

I miss them

Very cool info too!
    I wonder which team they passed, and if they will show them arriving tonight. Probably not eh?
    If it only took a few minutes for them to find the detour clue, I wonder why they call it the "swim of a lifetime"?
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Oops, I meant Derek & Drew. I'm always doing that.

I think they called it the swim of a lifetime, because the area they swam in was full of dolphins (not relevant to the spoilers, so I didn't mention it).

oh, I would LOVE that!
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

+ Reply to Thread