+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: 5/9 Finale Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 5/9 Finale Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I think that at the end of the race there is probably a lot of talking back and forth, but not worth much to us viewers. Caite did not have that much of a story other than she is a dimwit trying to convince us she was not. The race was probably supposed to launch her to stardom in her eyes, and she probably was hired to do the gig in return for a favorable edit. I really think the editing gives us what we want, and who knows what is on the cutting room floor.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3898573;
    Sucked that the cowboys lost. Most disappointing finale since Kris and Jon. I really didn't like that they were all in the same room for the virtual challenge and that Jet couldn't get around Jordan. Though I did love Cord telling Jet to sashay, ballet move, hop and skip etc. in order to mess with Dan.
    The blonde lesbian (sorry, don't remember which was which) didn't seem as bad as the brunette. She clapped when Brent and Caite entered (albeit the slow clap) while the other did not, and she didn't say anything at the end while the brunette went off on Caite.
    I totally agree.
    One thing that bothers me about TAR is even when someone has a large lead at the pit stop, it is often wiped out by plane, train or bus schedules or operating times of next stop. They lose all the edge they have. Also the way there was just one spot in the virtual room.

Caite was not one of my favorites, but I think she handled the brunette very well. She held her own and I give her props for that. Also it made the lesbians look even bitchier if that was possible.

Cowboys were a class act all the way. No whining like the brothers. The cowboys reminder me of the hippies BJ and Tyler that won. They played honestly and enjoyed the whole experience. No yelling or screaming, just appreciation of everything they saw.

FORT Fogey

Someone on another site had a great idea. They should run all the legs of the race, and keep track of the length of time it takes to get from start to end. After two shows they could take the teams with the slowest combined times of the tasks and have them compete to see who stays. Whoever stays through all the eliminations and has the best overall time wins the race.

Actually the format that they have now, is working for 16 seasons. If it aint broke dont fix it.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re the scene at the finale... everyone keeps saying THE lesbianS....but really it was just Brandy, no? Her partner clapped for Caite and Brent (if slowly) and certainly didn't start a fight with Caite. And throughout even her negative comments about them seemed more to just get along with Brandy than her own negativity. Not surprised they broke up, she seemed much nicer--and easier to live with!--than Brandy.

Quote Originally Posted by klmom3;3898831;
    I totally agree.
    One thing that bothers me about TAR is even when someone has a large lead at the pit stop, it is often wiped out by plane, train or bus schedules or operating times of next stop. They lose all the edge they have. Also the way there was just one spot in the virtual room.

Caite was not one of my favorites, but I think she handled the brunette very well. She held her own and I give her props for that. Also it made the lesbians look even bitchier if that was possible.

Cowboys were a class act all the way. No whining like the brothers. The cowboys reminder me of the hippies BJ and Tyler that won. They played honestly and enjoyed the whole experience. No yelling or screaming, just appreciation of everything they saw.
    Still her behavior toward the taxi driver (repeatedly calling him a dumbass) put her way down under the lesbians as far a bitchy behavior.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Very unhappy that Cheater and his brother won. That cutting in line was totally unnecessary and only caused bad blood and I will have to say I can only think about what a Cheater that particular brother will always be. I far as I am concerned he just made a permanent name change.

Jet and Cord rule.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

If I was the Cab Driver I would have kicked Caite out of my cab for her boorish behavior
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Man, I was so bummed the cowboys didn't win.

I was okay with Dan & Jordan winning until Jordan cut in line. That's what (partially) got Joe & Heidi U-turned. And it wasn't even because I thought it'd give the cowboys a better seat, it was just the pettiness about it all... Rrr!! I can't stand when I see people not being decent and it seemingly being "okay".

That being said, when they were all at Industrial Light & Magic, I was yelling at the t.v. for Cord to tell Jordan, excuse me, I'm cutting in and taking the step forward. It would've been some nice karma, IMO. After all, D&J and B&C would've done it to them. But, of course, the cowboys are much nicer people than I am and they didn't. That move (or nonmove) is what cost them.

What I'm wondering is -- is there a rule saying the contestants can't sit in the front of the cab with the driver?? I understand there's a cameraman but I would want access to the GPS! And then I'd be reading the map from there and giving the cabdriver directions.

I hate how Dan & Jordan (last week) and Caite treated the cabbies. There should be a penalty for treating people so poorly. And I really don't mind that D&J asked to be moved up to first class. If they saw empty seats and it's not against the rules...

Highlights of the show for me -- (1) Listening to Jet screw Dan up with his sashe, skip and twirl, etc., etc. Good for him! (2) When Brandy went to high-5 Carol and Carol didn't. [Did someone say they broke up??] (3) Brandy's face when Jordan called Caite his "Peach" -- priceless!! (4) Caite turning 5 years old and telling Brandy that at least she was standing up there and had finished the race while Brandy was on the sidelines.

I'm officially hooked and can't wait 'til the next season!!
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

I'm happy that both first and second place were brother/brother teams. I was rooting for Dan and Jordan over the Cowboys (though I WAS amused that the Cowboys had their own theme song throughout the entire season, all the way to the finish line), but I would have been happy with either for the win. That said...

Bottlenecks/equalizers are part of the way TAR has been structured from the very beginning. It's gotten even more controlled over the seasons but it's always been there (you'll note that the mandatory rest periods are no longer exactly 12 hours every time: only a few episodes had Phil announce both arrival AND departure times of the teams at the top; my guess is that they pad the rest period so that the last team should make it to the bottleneck before the first team can leave). This makes for better TV and you need to accept it if you're watching TAR. Otherwise there's little suspense: we all know if someone is on a flight 3 hours behind everyone else then they're done. Someone being a flight behind everyone else at the start of a leg makes for boring TV. So the brothers catching up at the airport is pretty much what I would have expected: when my favorites are behind I love equalizers, and when people I dislike are behind I am sad.

Seating on aircraft: practically every team hounds the ticketing and gate agents for the closest seats possible to the front of the plane. They all want to get out of the plane first. While very frequent fliers might be able to get upgraded to a better class of service often (and presumably closer to the door, though the bulkhead seat at the front of coach is often even closer than premium), it's no small feat to get an in-flight seat change to a class you haven't paid for. For all we know Dan's been trying it on every plane and got lucky on it happening on this one, but maybe he was just saving it for the right time, or happened to be a friend of a friend of a flight attendant or whatever. But as other people have said, seating on the plane can be just as capricious as which Customs line you're in (as someone else noted: we never see that since no filming is allowed), which taxi driver you get, or (as the brothers and the cops found out) if the local you ask about a landmark happens to know it. I think that moving closer to the door was what gave Dan and Jordan the edge, but I don't think they necessarily acted against the spirit of the rules any more than the people who ask for "seats at the front of the plane" when booking do on every single leg. The only way you'd manage parity would be to hold them exiting Customs in every country... but that seems pretty unworkable for such a meager benefit.

BTW, while I think that the seating gave the brothers an edge, I also think that the Cowboys got so distracted by trying to distract D&J during the VR task that they missed the obvious significance of Jordan spinning and lost too much time there, which lends some merit to Jordan's cut-in-line as valid strategy. Was it really that much of a difference? Well, the magic of editing means we'll never know, but both Brent and Cord's screens were showing the spinning clue in the same shot at the same time, so the Cowboys had to have been stuck at "trying to parse clue" for the most of the length of Caite's VR run when they knew that Jordan was spinning like a top before he left.

+ Reply to Thread