+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: 5/9 Finale Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 5/9 Finale Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I'm happy with the outcome! I rooted for the Cowboys for a while, after Jody/Shannon exited early on. But then I grew tired of them and gradually began to like the brothers.

Hey, at least it wasn't predictable. That's the way it has been ever since TAR12. The last unpredictable winners were Eric/Danielle... but I get upset all over again whenever I think about their win.

Quote Originally Posted by dantrb;3898106;
    I like that they have lots of clues to the places instead of just the actual address on this last leg. Old school AR.
    I agree! I loved how the clues shadowed the older seasons of TAR. I find it kind of ironic that this final leg in SF was so well-planned. The last final leg in SF was in All-Stars... and that leg was horribly-planned!

I live pretty close to SF, so it was kinda weird seeing it on TV. When/if they get tired of SF, they should come down to San Jose! I don't know if it's well-known enough though.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;3898314;
    I'm disappointed the cowboys didn't win; however, I think they'll be ones quickly asked to do an all-stars edition because they showed that teams can be classy and not resort to bickering in this show. Sure, they didn't win, but they're winners in most of our hearts - and to me that'll be better for them long term.

IMHO, I wouldn't be upset if the brothers won if they had NOT moved up to first class. They are not allowed to get first class tickets, so I feel that they technically broke the rules asking to be moved up to first class. It will be interesting to see if they were indeed assessed a time penalty for doing this and it didn't matter because they won.

If they were NOT assessed a penalty, this is IMHO a loophole that needs to be addressed because to me moving into first class with EXCEPTION of the rule that apparently if you do have a ticket and get bumped up to first class due to the aircarrier's rules, that it shouldn't be allowed. The rest of it from what I understood (weather affected sound and my TV's subtitles do not work), they played well to win this game.

All I can say is the lesbians should understand this is a game and that they lost fair and square getting U-Turned over Brent and Caite. This doesn't mean I condone Caite's attitude toward them (warranted or not - both were at fault for the pissy behavior) however, the action was indeed fair game. Even Joe and Heidi understood that long term with the police officers, and as arrogant as Joe was, I give him respect for that.

Love the virtual reality roadblock - that was definitely a neat way to make the teams work. Not happy that it put the two virtual walkers at a block - which also affected the results, but that's the breaks there.

Good season in spite of my quibble about the first class moving up (which I hope will be rectified), and hopefully they'll get better attitude teams next time. Even Guido is classier than Brandy and Carol were (though I have to admit with Guido I"m referring to their first season - I felt they had grown up and had a Renaissance in all-stars).
    I believe that the rule is simply that you can't purchase business class tickets. But if TPTB have you end up in business class, whether it's the airline's fault or it's someone's kindness, then there's no penalty against it. With Dan/Jordan, they were fortunate to find a nice stewardess who listened to their request. I'm sure teams in the past have asked to be bumped up for free... why not? It can't hurt to try.

I agree about Carol/Brandy though. I was on their side of this whole feud beforehand, as I also thought it was stupid for Brent/Caite to u-turn them over the Cowboys or Michael/Louie. But I really don't like how the argument found its way into the finale. Not only was Brandy painted as a bitter hag, but it also overshadowed Dan/Jordan's win.

Loved the Star Wars task also! I especially loved seeing Jordan, Jet, and Caite in an animated version.

As for an All-Stars season, I'd like to see them wait until TAR20, like Survivor did. But unlike Survivor, there will have been a good gap between the previous ASS (TAR11) and the next (TAR20--nine seasons later). I'm still a little sour about MB doing an ASS with Survivor so soon after FvF, but at least HvV is a good season.
    Last edited by CrossingGuard; 05-10-2010 at 02:39 AM.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

CCL

Sucked that the cowboys lost. Most disappointing finale since Kris and Jon. I really didn't like that they were all in the same room for the virtual challenge and that Jet couldn't get around Jordan. Though I did love Cord telling Jet to sashay, ballet move, hop and skip etc. in order to mess with Dan.
    The blonde lesbian (sorry, don't remember which was which) didn't seem as bad as the brunette. She clapped when Brent and Caite entered (albeit the slow clap) while the other did not, and she didn't say anything at the end while the brunette went off on Caite.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I guess I in the minority here because I don't think there was anything wrong with Dan and Jordan being bumped to first class. I suspect the reason the teams can't purchase first class is because it would cost TAR so much more money than having everyone fly coach. A lot can be said for 'unfair advantages'. When there is a roping challange (like there was this season) is that unfair to all the others that have never done it and the Cowboys are well versed in the art of roping? Is it unfair when the Asian couple a few seasons back went to China and had to order something in Chinese off the menu? Is it unfair that there are swimming challenges and some people can't swim? I think in order to further yourself in the game you have to be creative and use the skills you have and Dan and Jordan took a chance and it paid off for them. It could have been done many times in the past and we just don't know about it because it really didn't affect anything. As long as they didn't break the rules (and they didn't), I think it's fair (and it was smart).

And just to be clear...I was also routing for the Cowboys.

Melissa

Bah! Carol & Brandy is no less of a threat than any other team in the race. While other U-turned teams try to keep it in stride, their bitterness just cause them to keep insulting Caite's intelligence even more. I suppose you can only say that you can't fault them for being honest about their feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie;3898574;
    I guess I in the minority here because I don't think there was anything wrong with Dan and Jordan being bumped to first class. I suspect the reason the teams can't purchase first class is because it would cost TAR so much more money than having everyone fly coach. A lot can be said for 'unfair advantages'. When there is a roping challange (like there was this season) is that unfair to all the others that have never done it and the Cowboys are well versed in the art of roping? Is it unfair when the Asian couple a few seasons back went to China and had to order something in Chinese off the menu? Is it unfair that there are swimming challenges and some people can't swim? I think in order to further yourself in the game you have to be creative and use the skills you have and Dan and Jordan took a chance and it paid off for them. It could have been done many times in the past and we just don't know about it because it really didn't affect anything. As long as they didn't break the rules (and they didn't), I think it's fair (and it was smart).

Melissa
    I agree. I don't see anything wrong with asking to move seats. It's not the first time if has happened. A lot of times we see people moving to the front just before the first class section starts. It doesn't make much of a difference if you're sitting in first class or the first row in coach. You're in front of the pack on your way out.

The rules if I'm not wrong are that you CAN'T buy a first class ticket. You can sit wherever you want as long as you pay coach prices.

The other 2 teams could have easily ask the people in the front coach row (it has been done before) to switch seats just as well.

The cowboys lost time in the virtual thingie. Wasn't one of them right there when the Jordan was spinning around like crazy? Why didn't they think of that right away?

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3898496;
    I believe that the rule is simply that you can't purchase business class tickets. But if TPTB have you end up in business class, whether it's the airline's fault or it's someone's kindness, then there's no penalty against it. With Dan/Jordan, they were fortunate to find a nice stewardess who listened to their request. I'm sure teams in the past have asked to be bumped up for free... why not? It can't hurt to try.
    This is my beef though - in the one case I can recall I believe the team being bumped up to first, it was the airliner's fault and they were the only one on the plane. It was regardless.

It does still need to be raised though, because there could be cases where many players are on the plane and if one gets a big advantage by going first class - bumped up or not, then I think there should be a time penalty. The reason I say this is that there will now be future teams who try this, which could lead to a fight or something and cause the plane - and therefore CBS - embarrassment.

I agree about Carol/Brandy though. I was on their side of this whole feud beforehand, as I also thought it was stupid for Brent/Caite to u-turn them over the Cowboys or Michael/Louie. But I really don't like how the argument found its way into the finale. Not only was Brandy painted as a bitter hag, but it also overshadowed Dan/Jordan's win.
    I agree - may not like the brothers as much - but it was their win and Caite of course took center spotlight again, and again in bad light.

Loved the Star Wars task also! I especially loved seeing Jordan, Jet, and Caite in an animated version.

As for an All-Stars season, I'd like to see them wait until TAR20, like Survivor did. But unlike Survivor, there will have been a good gap between the previous ASS (TAR11) and the next (TAR20--nine seasons later). I'm still a little sour about MB doing an ASS with Survivor so soon after FvF, but at least HvV is a good season.
    I agree with all of this - though I hope no one allows Russell on "The Amazing Race." He'd cause that show to have a huge ugly mark on its face with the way he behaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie;3898574;
    I guess I in the minority here because I don't think there was anything wrong with Dan and Jordan being bumped to first class. I suspect the reason the teams can't purchase first class is because it would cost TAR so much more money than having everyone fly coach.
    I have a feeling this is part of it, but looking at some of the planes, first class is essentially closed off a lot of times from the coach with a small door. It's harder to maneuver with those backpacks through the door, and therefore a team in first could get out a lot faster.

A lot can be said for 'unfair advantages'.
    Please allow me to discern here what I feel the difference is here with the posts:

When there is a roping challange (like there was this season) is that unfair to all the others that have never done it and the Cowboys are well versed in the art of roping?
    Roping as far as twirling it isn't too difficult - it's the aim and throw that's key. And, we saw the cowboys also miss in roping the steer.

Is it unfair when the Asian couple a few seasons back went to China and had to order something in Chinese off the menu?
    The sisters were U-Turned, which is a legal move (no one else save the brother and sister who won did the challenge). Didn't like where said U-ie was located, and if I recall correctly that's also when the one sister had the potty break and it cost them the race.

Is it unfair that there are swimming challenges and some people can't swim?
    As we've seen though, they do allow them life preservers, which in turn too can be seen as an unfair advantage. (Some people actually know how to at least kick well and with slight adjustments could speed along a pool with the preserver.)

I personally think they should do more of the cold endurance things like the sauna and the like because at least everyone is cold and has to deal with it regardless of their health.

I think in order to further yourself in the game you have to be creative and use the skills you have and Dan and Jordan took a chance and it paid off for them. It could have been done many times in the past and we just don't know about it because it really didn't affect anything. As long as they didn't break the rules (and they didn't), I think it's fair (and it was smart).

Melissa
    Here's where I differ Melissa - in all the things you listed, they are all preplanned in advance, and there will always be something that no one can do as well. No one knows who's going to be around at each leg of the race, and that's the nature of the human body.

HOWEVER, in the case of the plane - anyone can do it regardless of skill level, and I feel that if they cannot purchase first class tickets, then they shouldn't be allowed to fly first class. This does of course now raise the question of will they also allow bumped up tickets or are they going to have to turn them down and wait for another flight. As I've mentioned, I've only seen one team who actually was bumped up to first, but that was due to something BEYOND their control - rules or not.

If it had been done before, it'd been shown because it'd heighten the drama as it did here.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what Dan and Jordan say - as this is a good question. And, I do think it does bring a good issue to the powers that be who work on the show because they need to look at planes that have first and coach and assess the fairness level potential as far as debarking a plane at the first class round and at coach.

IMHO, compared to the examples you gave me, this still is an unfair advantage. Skills needed for challenges is just luck when these teams advance (they can only predict who may be there at any round), this was something else. When it also could've affected the outcome of this game in the final leg, there is also that factor.

Guess we'll have to wait and see at the interview.

Quote Originally Posted by dantrb;3898582;
    The rules if I'm not wrong are that you CAN'T buy a first class ticket. You can sit wherever you want as long as you pay coach prices.

The other 2 teams could have easily ask the people in the front coach row (it has been done before) to switch seats just as well.

The cowboys lost time in the virtual thingie. Wasn't one of them right there when the Jordan was spinning around like crazy? Why didn't they think of that right away?
    First class, last time I checked, has special seating, and you can't just go into the area without a ticket if you're flying coach. Or basically, you CAN'T just sit anywhere if you're in first class.

I have no problem with coach positioning because a lot of planes are like Southwest - first come, first served in seating. You have to push for an earlier seating order. And, those that are reserved, you ask for the closest to the plane in coach and hope for the best - or ask the group in the front row in COACH to switch. That's the burr there with me.

As far as virtual, they couldn't hit the doors or walls or they'd had to start over again. The cowboy who was virtual could've bumped into Dan and had him have to start over, but there was the off chance he too could've fallen, it could've ended up where both started over and therefore no advantage.
    Last edited by jadewarlock; 05-10-2010 at 10:31 AM.

I believe the cowboys lost a lot of time at the virtual place. They were neck and neck there and lost a lot of time.
    There's no place like home!

I'd love to hear the WHOLE story on the First Class bump up... I have a hard time believing that the other teams didn't see D/J moved to First Class and not request the same treatment. Was there a flight attendant playing favorites, perhaps giving special treatment in exchange for a date? Just kidding, but seriously, there seems to be more to the story and I'd like to hear it! There appeared to be plenty of room in First Class so why didn't the other teams also get moved?

+ Reply to Thread