+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: Jet and Cord - TAR 16

Re: Jet and Cord - TAR 16

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin;3910728;
    I've been wavering back and forth for days about whether to get involved with this but now feel as though I have to weigh in --

I absolutely agree that being able to schmooze your way up to first class is a skill on par with getting a bystander to give you directions or being able to sell ice cream to a cabbie you treated kindly. In life, people skills get you far and count just as much as reading a map or completing a physical task.

DH is 6'5" and has to travel for work sometimes. There have been times when his company wasn't able to get him exit row seats (for more leg room) and he has seen and been able to move his way up to first class. He's never paid a dime. He simply got on the plane, saw the empty seats after the plane took off, and explained his situation. The FA's, in their own opinion, determined whether he moved forward or not. Sometimes he got lucky; others he did not. As my mother used to say -- you catch more flies with honey!
    There is a difference between comfort and a game. This is a game, and I'm basing my opinion on the game aspect = which is did this move get made in a potential loophole, and if so, is it really fair or not? This season, obviously it was considered fair, but if the team did win in a loophole, and that they are REALLY not supposed to be in first class at all, expect this to change next season.

There were soooo many situations this season where personal interactions with others made or broke a team's time in the race. Weren't the cops able to sell ice cream to their cabbie b/c he was nice enough to buy them? Should there be a rule that no cabbies are allowed to particpate in a task??
    I personally felt that the team should've been penalized quite honestly, because to me it was tantamount to the one team last year getting double penalties for using their personal items to pay for cab fair. They guilted the cabbie into buying the sandwiches IMHO. And, I'm saying this in spite of liking the team here too.

When you approach a native citizen in their country, don't you think a smile with a question would entice them to want to help you more?? I think it most certainly would. (Picture Allie or Jordan here.) Compare that with crabby Caite snapping at someone while asking them a question--didn't get her very far did it?

Going with this, if I had been one of those cabbies driving Brent & Caite or Dan & Jordan while they were screaming in the backseat, I most certainly would've driven slower and not gone out of my way to help them out. Again, honey catches flies! When people push me, I push back and dig in my heels when doing so, so there would've been no way I would've helped them move forward.
    The cabbies have been known to do that; however, the incident I mentioned really happened - the cabbie saw that it was going to be red (it was in orange stage) and stopped. Dan or Jordan (couldn't tell who) HIT the cab with their hands and made the threats toward said cabbie.

Had they damaged the property, I'd expect a penalty like the speeding ticket. Had the cabbie listened and got a ticket, I'd expect a penalty. I personally think that ANY team that either demands that a cabbie risk their job by breaking the law (whether or not they do it or not) or beats up their personal property again in frustration should get a penalty.

And again - this is any and all teams - nice or ugly, fave or not.

People skills are most definitely a part of this "game show"!! Dan & Jordan just happened to luck out that they got an American flight attendant who was willing to help them. End of story. It sucks for Jet & Cord, who were the actually the team I was pulling for, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. They seem to have handled their loss with grace and I plan to follow their lead.

Can't wait to watch next season!!
    I really truly think that they got away with a loophole, and if they did, they just wanted the money that badly. Personally, if they did know it was a loophole and did it anyway to win - it just shows the personality they are, and if they want to leave that impact on people like they have with me, then so be it. I'd personally rather lose knowing for sure I followed the rules than win by a loophole, because people will have a better memory of me.

That's why I like the cowboys - they at least know they lost with grace and by doing their best - they didn't resort to what I feel is a loophole or bullying. Dan and Jordan to me will be seen in a much uglier light because of their bickering toward each other, the real ugliness toward that cabbie, and for most people this highly questionable move they made.

According to the rules (posted on Wikipedia), they didn't cheat and what they did is perfectly acceptable. The rule states that teams must purchase economy class airfare, and that teams may ask the airlines before or during the flight to upgrade to another cabin.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini;3911275;
    According to the rules (posted on Wikipedia), they didn't cheat and what they did is perfectly acceptable. The rule states that teams must purchase economy class airfare, and that teams may ask the airlines before or during the flight to upgrade to another cabin.
    I'm sorry, this is not a valid source, as Wiki sadly can be edited by anyone and can be so to fit their views.

I do know the economy part is legit, but I have suspicions about the second part where they can upgrade. We'd see more of this bantering on the show if it had happened in the past - and I know of at least one or two teams who'd always done it and it'd been aired, i.e. Team Guido or Rob and Amber.

What CBS needs to do is come clean about this rule themselves to people, because it still implies - from what we have seen on TV (which I feel is more reliable since they actually edit the footage), it is supposed to be against the rules to be in first class for any reason except beyond their control.

As it stands from my POV, the reason Dan and Jordan got away with it was a loophole or because CBS didn't want a team to make it to the mat at first on the final leg, only to be penalized and possibly have the second place team win instead. That fracas wouldn't bode well with fans - I think even cowboy team fans would've been upset.

I don't think what we've seen on TV is any more reliable than a wiki. And I certainly don't accept the lack of seeing something on the show as proof that it didn't happen. Many contestants have expressed frustration at how much gets edited out. Time penalties are edited out unless they affect the outcome. At least one whole roadblock was edited out in an earlier season. We rarely see the inside of a plane at all. If a team was upgraded but it didn't affect the outcome of the race, I see no evidence that CBS "would have" shown it.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;3911397;
    What CBS needs to do is come clean about this rule themselves to people, because it still implies - from what we have seen on TV (which I feel is more reliable since they actually edit the footage), it is supposed to be against the rules to be in first class for any reason except beyond their control.
    No, it is against the rules to purchase anything but coach class tickets. Anything else that it is "supposed" to be is up to your or my interpretation. Neither of us can prove our case, that's why I think we need to just let this one go and see what (if anything) CBS does next season.

I'm sorry, this is not a valid source, as Wiki sadly can be edited by anyone and can be so to fit their views.
    I looked for official rules but couldn't find them posted anywhere. I did find an interview with Dan and Jordan at TV Watch (part of People.com), though, where Jordan said that they couldn't buy first-class tickets, but that it was OK to get upgraded for free. (I really wish I could find the official rules!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112