+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 11/29 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 11/29 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Personally I do not think the Globetrotter was really trying very hard. The brother said it started with an F....he gave up. Usually people would be jumping up and down over the quitting (it is what he did) but this was a favorite team. Oh well life goes on.
    There's no place like home!

Things I possibly learned this leg: Brian doesn't drink, yet took the long shot of absinthe for the team, Meghan and Cheynne have homing pigeon DNA, Big Easy may be dyslectic and word jumbles remain that to him, the "Ugly" American was Dan and his whiny ass, not Erika who was trying to keep the drunks from grabbing the full beer glasses off of her tray, that it was a good thing Erika and Brian carried the beer because there is no way they could have manhandled the fully loaded golem, that the perceived less physically strong team members (Meghan and Sam) came through for their teams in an extreme physical challenge, that Franz Kafka is from Prague - I didn't know that either.

An interesting leg with fascinating local customs revealed. At this point I'm pulling for this order for the finiish:

Meghan/Cheynne
    Erika/Brian
    Sam/Dan

although, while I think Meghan/Cheynne are the strongest team at this point, Sam/Dan may come in first as they have twice before just ahead of Meghan/Cheynne.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3759505;
    Rattus--thanks so much for the info.

I wonder if part of the problem had to do with their being very tired? Nobody seemed very sharp during the portions I saw of the show. They all have to be pretty weary by now.

I noticed that when they gave the time when the teams left--they did NOT say what time the team came in which they usually do. So I wonder if they had a very short "rest" before this episode started.
    They did mention the first team (Meghan & Cheyne) came in at 930 (ish) am and was leaving at 930pm. I was always under the assumption that all teams leaving in order they came in at left 12 hours later as it is stated “a mandatory rest period” That being said they ALL have the same amount of time to rest/eat/sleep/shower or whatever.

Franz is not at all uncommon, from Franz Kafka (who hasn’t had to read The Metamorphosis in school?), to Hans and Franz (as already mentioned) and Franz Ferdinand (the music group and the assassinated archduke). I was shocked that only one person got it in less than 3 tries. I was disappointed in the Globetrotters for just simply giving up on that one.

As for Ms Mouth, Ericka, again.. disappointed. Maybe even disgusted. I understand the fact that she was in a challenge, being harassed, late hour, whatever.. but it is STILL no excuse to act like the fool she did. She is the visitor to their country there is no reason to get that hyper over it. I am sure if it was something not staged they would have taken measures to ensure that they were safe and no one would attack them. She is a just as much of a whiney little brat as the brothers. Where they whine and scream at one another and get on my last exposed nerve… they were respectful to the locals. I hope Meghan and Cheyne win. They are the only team that has earnd the right via their actions, performance and attitude. Which is saying a lot because Meghan has had her whining moments as well.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;3759408;
    Actually, I've just been "meh" on them, because they're good, but not really as interesting as the other groups. I wouldn't be disappointed with them winning.

Same with Brian and Ericka, because while Ericka does bicker a tad too much, they have managed to get their heads on straight and when they have fought, they got over it quickly as they could and focused. That's why they are still in this race.

Sam and Dan - had it not been for the GT's giving up (and yes, I was disappointed in them there - and wanted to shout "Big Time - look at the statue or read the clue... Franz had to be somewhere!"), I think would've fallen to third or could've been eliminated with the arguments they were having with the statue.

BTW, I think Sam and Dan should've had to redo the statue when it was broken - I really was disappointed they got away with that. While it still may not have factored in to the final standings, I'd just like to have seen them have to do it again... and maybe they'd fought to the point they'd given up and taken the penalty, and the GT's could've come from behind and made third.

Why I liked the Globetrotters though was for one reason - even with Big Time's brain fart tonight, they realized it was a race, played hard but had even more fun. They didn't play dirty (I have little doubt that Big would've honored his promise to Sam and Dan, knowing that at worst they were going to be 2 and 3 again), and showed the good side of America. This holds even more true in this day and age, where a lot of countries see us as the ugly Americans.

They may not have needed the money as much, but I do think people will be talking to them on and off the courts a lot longer than they ever will Sam and Dan. As far as the brothers - if they do manage to win, I would love to ask them if it was worth making total and complete jackasses of themselves to win about $250,000 (after taxes) each? I would hope the answer is no, but some people do anything for that money.
    Totally agree with this-unfair that they got away with that.

I was nearly screaming at the tv when the boys got the thumbs up for their broken statue. I cannot believe that a broken arm almost falling off could be considered good enough. Grrr..
    Yup, with donuts!!

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3759414;
    I seriously doubt that the Globetrotters, or anyone else on this task, has ever heard of Kafka.

I am pretty well read and I had no clue!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian;3759554;
    Am I the only one who heard one of the brothers go "Rawwwrrrrr" (the sound one might associate with the approach of a hot-looking person) as they walked up to the mat at the end of the leg? Since they're both gay, was that for Phil?

I heard it, too. That's the charm of gay men. They might not have a romantic interest in a woman, but they can appreciate beauty when they see it. After all, they are gay, not blind. One of my BFF's is gay and he is always the first to compliment me on a new hairstyle or outfit. He's fantastic for my ego and self esteem...
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by xcptnl;3759578;
    I am pretty well read and I had no clue!!!
    He is one of the most well-known writers of the twentieth century, and is a frequent pop-culture reference. Not having heard of Franz Kafka is on par with not having heard of Fyodor Dostoevsky, Miguel de Cervantes or Ernst Hemingway. Granted, Dostoevsky and Cervantes are earlier writers, but all four, including Kafka, are equally well-known and their writings have had an equal impact on culture as a whole. And I would like to point out that a post-secondary education is not required to acquire any of this knowledge. I have a grade 9 education and I know a Kafkaesque workplace when I see one.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

To the Point

Well Rattus, then you are one up on a lot of people. I have a 4 year degree and while I've heard the name, can't say that I was ever required, nor did I choose, to read any of his works. My son is a senior in high school and has been required to read many classics to which I was never exposed and he has never been required to read any Kafka, and for a teenager, he is incredibly well read. I suspect that this is not as unheard of as you think.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman
    I hope Meghan and Cheyne win. They are the only team that has earnd the right via their actions, performance and attitude. Which is saying a lot because Meghan has had her whining moments as well.
    Huh! I found Cheyne to be the whiny one, especially this episode. She was pulling that Golem with no problems, and he can hardly handle it. And then, the leg where she had to roll out the bales, he was falling apart for most of that leg. I do agree she can whine, but he's just as, in my opinion.

I think Meghan is one of the finest female racers this show has ever seen! Historically, the male member of a female/male team usually proves to be the stronger (excepting Adam and Rebecca of course) so one kind of starts to expect that. It's simply not true in the case of Meghan and Cheyne. She's proven to be completely on level with him, if not stronger. I love that. I'd like that team to win if only for that reason.

+ Reply to Thread