+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Kelly & Jon

I can't even imagine the disappointment they felt at coming in second.

All that effort to be beaten so narrowly.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    I can't even imagine the disappointment they felt at coming in second.

All that effort to be beaten so narrowly.
    I know!

And the race was so close. Second is great, but people still tend to feel like failures even though it really is a great achievement.

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    They were so close behind Reichen and Chip... And they could have beat them... They just keep coming in behind Reichen and Chip... The disappointment... The stress... That's why she cried when she came in second... But for a girl to come this far is very good already... Now will someone call Flo to refund the money so that Kelly have some money ? Anyway, second and third place winners all have cash but undisclosed.

go kelly and jon u kik butt!

kelly and jon have got to be one of the most awesome teams ever!
    i reckon they are reallly cool and they did a good job! they seem like really friendly ppl (from what i've seen which is like 3 episodes)

FORT Fogey
    For the Kelly & Jon fans (including me, as I grew to admire them more and more as the race progressed), here are some screenshots from The Early Show interview segment which featured the finalists, plus most of the remaining teams in the background.

If you wish to view the RealVideo clip yourself, here's the direct link:

http://www.cbsnews.com/media/2003/08/22/video569666.rm

Right-click/SaveTargetAs... if you wish to save the 39.2 MB file to your computer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny
    I know!

And the race was so close. Second is great, but people still tend to feel like failures even though it really is a great achievement.
    Particularly as they were sooooo close to winning.

I think missing that plane out of Tokyo made the difference.

They were a very fast team.
    They seemed to complete the detours and roadblocks very quickly and always seemed abole to make up time even without bthe blessing of a bunch up during a leg.

They obviously have a strong bond too as they are still together.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    Particularly as they were sooooo close to winning.

I think missing that plane out of Tokyo made the difference.

They were a very fast team.
    They seemed to complete the detours and roadblocks very quickly and always seemed abole to make up time even without bthe blessing of a bunch up during a leg.

They obviously have a strong bond too as they are still together.
    I'm still not sure how missing the Tokyo connection cost them the race, unless the psychological impact was so demoralizing that they felt they just could not overtake R&C from that point on, no matter what. After all, they were practically back on even footing on the flight to Phoenix, being only 4 rows back. The key point was R&C getting the EXACT location of the anchor monument, because K&J's faster completion of the Sun-devil Stadium riddle effectively negated R&C's initial 7-10 minute cab advantage.

Remus, according to the interview with Kelly & Jon, this is how the Tokyo flight impacted their win:

1) They arrived in Hawaii an hour after C&R.
    2) They couldn't get on a flight to Kona for 2 more hours, putting them 3 hours back.
    3) They arrived back in Hawaii early enough to catch the same flight to Phoenix, but by then C&R had gotten better seats and had a lot of time to ask around about the ship anchor.
    4) The better seats let C&R get the first taxi, and the second taxi took 7 minutes to arrive.
    5) Because they didn't have time to find the exact location of the anchor, they were slowed a little finding that as well.
    6) All told, that put them about 10-15 minutes behind C&R.

I tend to believe this rather lengthy domino effect, personally. Although at first, I didn't think it effected them, either.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    3) They arrived back in Hawaii early enough to catch the same flight to Phoenix, but by then C&R had gotten better seats and had a lot of time to ask around about the ship anchor.
    Ah, thanks for putting it all into perspective. I hadn't taken into account the extra time that R&C had at the airport pre-boarding to ask Phoenix-bound passengers about the USS Arizona monument. The editing seemed to suggest they both had equal opportunity to determine the anchor's location.

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    I think that Reichen and Chip had a better opportunity to locate the anchor... They did their research on the airport of Hawaii... And they got the exact location thanks to the locals... So they were at a head start there...

+ Reply to Thread