+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: 11/1 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 11/1 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by madlyophelia;3741535;
    Last night's show angered me so much, I had to log in and vent. Having two challenges that required strength was clearly unfair to the Poker Pals. While they haven't been my favs, I can't recall another set of challenges that had such a physical element (upper body strength). Yes, I'm sure these days that many women can clock that bell, but it wouldn't be your average woman, who doesn't lift weights.
    I was thinking the same thing. Unless there was something else going on that we couldn't see, this was not a fair playing field.

As for penalties, what if they had "misread" their assignment, like walking right past the bikes, and gone into to do the dance and then went on to the pit stop. What would Phil have decreed? Would they have to wait a certain amount of time or would Phil have sent them back to hit to bell?
    I suppose if that married couple with the whiny wife could get by with a 30-minute penalty for not doing the bike thing, it stands to reason the girls could have too. Although, it seems to me that I've seen episodes where they make contestants go back and complete the task accurately - which is what I thought would have happened with the married couple. I'm all confused....

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3741801;
    I was thinking the same thing. Unless there was something else going on that we couldn't see, this was not a fair playing field.
    The strength test actually is a misnomer - it's not how strong you are, but how accurately you snap and swing the hammer to hit the button. The weight just helps out in the situation. Both girls were able to pick it up over their heads, but they weren't swinging it properly.

The golf one was skill more than strength. If you had your accuracy right and a decently fast swing, you could have it sail a good distance - doubly so with the wind that was blowing around. I think Sam and Dan were the only ones to do it successfully with only one try all three holes.

But, I've got to give the other side of the "fairness" argument - at any point of the race, you don't know who will be there, such as if it's an old team, an all female team, or whatnot. These challenges, like the other ones, were already planned at the time.

Plus, even then - the results may be surprising. Case in point - it's like when they were in China last year, Tammy and Victor had a HUGE advantage because they could speak Mandarin. Even then, they had challenges - not all Chinese speak Mandarin (though it's more common than Cantonese, which is considered formal Chinese, or similar to our Old English), and they did get certain menu items ordered incorrectly in the restaurant challenge.

FORT Newbie

it kind of ticks me off that TAR keeps going on about how they have never had an all-female team win, with i think, only one even making it to the final three; yet they actually have a fairly competitive team doing well (maria and tiffany) and they throw two skewed detours. i know for a fact that i would have difficulty ringing that bell. i have tried at the fair several times, and not even got close. and that was without running through a race all day long. i thought that TAR usually tries to have a quicker physical challenge, and a longer more mental challenge, but these two challenges essentially guaranteed that the woman would be next to impossible to finish. I actually had hope this season that these woman might pull it off. (since they were actually somewhat real women, and not the Barbie types that TAR producers usually put on)

Did you notice that each man was able to ring the bell in pretty much one try. As for the Globetrotters, what do they do with the money if they win?

FORT Fanatic

I am shocked Meghan and Cheyne did not receive a HUGE penalty for the bell tower challenge. I can't recall EVER in all past seasons that a team just "decided" that both members would perform a task meant for one.as strong legs and a good eye"? Otherwise...why didn't Brian just say---"she cannot do this herself, I'm going to do it with her."? NO...he waited and waited in because ONLY ONE teammember is allowed to do the task. If someone from one team chooses to give an answer to another team member, that's a diff story.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by NYCJUDE;3741941;
    I am shocked Meghan and Cheyne did not receive a HUGE penalty for the bell tower challenge. I can't recall EVER in all past seasons that a team just "decided" that both members would perform a task meant for one.as strong legs and a good eye"? Otherwise...why didn't Brian just say---"she cannot do this herself, I'm going to do it with her."? NO...he waited and waited in because ONLY ONE teammember is allowed to do the task. If someone from one team chooses to give an answer to another team member, that's a diff story.
    OOPS-- that was supposed to read--

I can't recall EVER in all past seasons that a team just "decided" that both members would perform a task meant for one. Didn't the clue say something like "who has strong legs and a good eye?"

FORT Fanatic

ok--now i feel like a total dummy, since it only SOUNDED like they were both going to do the task...but it was in fact SAM and Meghan.

NEVER MIND! lolol

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;3741866;
    The strength test actually is a misnomer - it's not how strong you are, but how accurately you snap and swing the hammer to hit the button. The weight just helps out in the situation. Both girls were able to pick it up over their heads, but they weren't swinging it properly.
    You can't honestly be suggesting that all of the men who got it on the first shot just happened to do it accurately while the girls after 100+(?) tries couldn't?

Yes, there's "skill" and you could see the thing go up different amounts with each swing but you also need the arm strength that these girls obviously did not have.

Same with golf. There's a reason there are separate men's and women's tees. The two men teams took 7 drives to get the ball close to the tee. Even if strength only played a small part of it that still means they have to make up for 7 times the difference.

Maybe they were weak women but it seems odd (and boring) to cast people that simply can't physically do a challenge. Why would TAR do that? I hope after this and the Myka foolishness they've fired their casting director! (why would you cast someone deathly afraid of heights and water? dumb for her to apply, dumber for them to accept her)

To the Point

Actually, I believe that when Meghan finally got the hang of the golf challenge, she and Cheyne actually did it in 6 strokes each hole. So, while it may have taken a while for her to get the hang of it, they actually succeeded with the fewest # strokes in their successful attempts. She got frustrated right off the bat and, I believe, started with the "I can't do this attitude". Cheyne did a great job of helping her keep her head in it and getting it done.

Did the bell ringing challenge give the guys an advantage? Certainly, but I only saw ONE female actually put anything behind her attempts and she got close. The other poker player didn't seem to put much effort into anything she did (which wasn't a whole lot since she allowed her partner to do the majority of the tasks) , including the bell-ringing. Could I do it? I don't know, but I would certainly have put everything I had into it. Given the opportunity, I might have to give it a shot. When I'll ever have this opportunity I have no idea, but it does make me curious.

FORT Regular

I guess I do not see the golf challenge as a strength challenge. I think if they had stuck it out instead of going back and forth they probably could have done it. I think they just kept giving up on each challenge and wasted too much energy doing that.

I am totally annoyed with all the sharing of clues/answers in this season.

And as far as bickering goes-if me and SO were on this show - it would be ugggggly!! I think the stress and the desire to win can take you over without even realizing it. So the bickering does not bother me - it's just part of it for some couples and it does not mean their relationship is doomed.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by marviemom;3741868;
    it kind of ticks me off that TAR keeps going on about how they have never had an all-female team win, with i think, only one even making it to the final three; yet they actually have a fairly competitive team doing well (maria and tiffany) and they throw two skewed detours.
    I don't know how competitive Maria and Tiffany were. They were almost eliminated twice previously - once they were saved by an NEL, the other time they were saved because Zev and his partner were eliminated due to the loss of his passport - and survived both times not because of their own prowess.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread