+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 10/11 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 10/11 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

I will miss Zev and Justin, and it breaks my heart that not only are they out, but that they didn't get to experience more of the race. My son is a high functioning autistic teenager. Let me tell you that although they do pay great attention to detail (in how something works or what steps they need to follow to complete a task), some of them are very absent minded when dealing with misplacing items. Zev did very well tackling the tasks, however, in a frenzy they can lose focus easily. They do require a lot of patience, and I love the fact that Justin can see past those things and truly be a real friend to him. The thing that most people don't see is that many of them are the funniest, most loving people you will ever meet, and they are generally far more honest in their relationships than most people. The lack of social skills does not always provide them with the filter to tell little white lies (that is usually a learned skill for them as well), so if you want to know if a dress truly makes you look fat ask an Aspie-lol. I can't bring myself to watch the second half of the episode knowing how it turns out after reading the board. Very dissapointing.
    Last edited by KeepItReal; 10-12-2009 at 08:39 AM.

FORT Fan

I'm 25 myself, and frankly I didn't recognize her, nor would I think you'd necessarily recognized someone just because they are in a convertible. Maybe if it had been a picture of her in a convertible with JFK it would be a nobrainer, but in another country? I pretty much agree with MagicBullet. Someone from my parents generation would know, but maybe not from mine.

I know that when I was in school, with the general history and American history courses, the teachers would have spent so much time on earlier history that by the time we got around to post-WWII stuff the year or semester was almost over and we'd have to rush through the last 50 or so years in the textbook.

Frankly, even wondering if it was a picture of Queen Elizabeth was not all that far off if you didn't have a clue-I mean, the team that thought that did talk about it AFTER they were told they should go to the Royal Hotel. The only team that I thought was really nuts was the one that thought she looked Cambodian.

Sad to see Zev and Justin go, but there are still plenty of teams I like. And I love that they're going to Dubai next week!

FORT Fan

I'm REALLY sad about Zev and Justin. They were a great team. I always admire the teams that manage to NOT argue on the race, and who support each other, and Zev and Justin managed that the majority of the time even with the added stress of Zev's Asperger's. Not to mention they were just plain nice. Losing the passport is just a crappy way to leave, especially when they would have been first.

That said, I actually still like most of the teams left, with the exception of two "couples" who seem to be sniping at each other all the time - I don't remember their names. But I like the father/son and the globetrotters, and the brothers and poker players are OK too.

As for Jackie O, I didn't realize the picture was her right away, but I was cross-stitching with one eye and watching with the other! When I looked at the TV full-on, I knew. She is a famous enough figure that I really think anyone over 25, at least, should know who she is. And I'd agree with some posters that the history taught in school today is really lacking. However, I think I'd give most of these teams a pass on not recognizing her. They are racing, not looking carefully at a picture. They were not expecting it to be someone they'd recognize, and I suppose the dark hair could be Cambodian. So I suspect the reason they didn't recognize her was more that they really weren't looking. The Queen Elizabeth thing was pretty ridiculous, though.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, I found a picture of Jackie Kennedy Onassis online and printed it out to "test" my daughter and two stepdaughters (ages 21, 20 and 19). They all knew who she was right off the bat.

Then again, folks in my family are kind of "into" history, genealogy, old stuff in general.

As for Zev and Justin, I also thought I saw something fall out of their cab at one point but unlike in previous seasons/episodes, the cameraman didn't focus on it at all, so maybe it was nothing. If I didn't know Zev had Asperger's, I wouldn't have thought there was anything different about him at all. He just seemed like a very nice and easy to get along with guy. He actually seemed, to me at least, a great deal more intelligent, thoughtful and just plain nicer than some of the other racers. Especially that tool Lance and his kung phooey gyrations. What a toad.
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItReal;3725083;
    I will miss Zev and Justin, and it breaks my heart that not only are they out, but that they didn't get to experience more of the race. My son is a high functioning autistic teenager. Let me tell you that although they do pay great attention to detail (in how something works or what steps they need to follow to complete a task), some of them are very absent minded when dealing with misplacing items. Zev did very well tackling the tasks, however, in a frenzy they can lose focus easily. They do require a lot of patience, and I love the fact that Justin can see past those things and truly be a real friend to him. The thing that most people don't see is that many of them are the funniest, most loving people you will ever meet, and they are generally far more honest in their relationships than most people. The lack of social skills does not always provide them with the filter to tell little white lies (that is usually a learned skill for them as well), so if you want to know if a dress truly makes you look fat ask an Aspie-lol. I can't bring myself to watch the second half of the episode knowing how it turns out after reading the board. Very dissapointing.
    Thanks for sharing your personal experience. I don't know anyone with autism or Asperger's, but I know a bit from reading, -gasp- television and movies, other people, and intuition.

The bolded part made me smile. That would be one of my favorite things, in addition to the funny and loving traits, and the contrast between assumed naivety, and evident wisdom.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetRed;3724958;
    The reason that I said what I said, is that what if the team members get separated? Each needs to have their own passport and some money, no?
    I don't know...I do know that the rules state that the teams can only be so far apart (25 feet, maybe? I forget the exact number), unless separated by a task. A couple of seasons ago, the clue actually told them which racer had to carry the bag with the money during one of the tasks.

CCL

I'm not American (Canadian) and Jackie O is before my time but I recognized her. I was laughing when Canaan (?) said it was Queen Elizabeth.
    So sad about Zev and Justin. They were such a good-natured pair, and they took their elimination with such grace...I'd much rather still have them around then some of the other teams (i.e. Lance and Keri).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton;3724942;
    OK I understand the need to eliminate a contestant without a passport, however they completed this leg of the race. To disqualify them when they completed this leg is ridiculous. I mean they would eliminate themselves eventually anyway with the fact that if they need to fly and had no passport, they would be out. They did not screw up, or miss a task, they just have no passport to fly next flight time. They should be eliminated when the next time their passports are needed, they do not have them.
    I agree to some degree but then again they only have 12 hrs (usually) until the next leg starts. Maybe the logistics are too complex to decide at the start of the next leg if the last team was eliminated or not. Passports are one of the most important things for the racers IMO. Without them, they are stuck. Money they can beg after all.

ntm
    FORT Newbie

I saw a passport look-alike on the ground at the exit of the monkey see/monkey do roadblock while Justin and Zev were boarding their taxi to the pitstop. Here is my screen capture:

I really liked Zev and Justin. So sad to see them eliminated like this.

Was it just me or did Phil knew they lost their passport? I say that because when the guys made it to the mat, Phil said "You are team #!". but he didn't say what the prize was like he normally do. I'm thinking he had to of known.
    Just my observation.

+ Reply to Thread