+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tiffany & Maria-TAR 15

Tiffany & Maria-TAR 15

Bio (and image above) from CBS:

Maria Ho (26); Tiffany Michelle (25)
    Hometown: Arcadia, Calif./ Los Angeles
    Relationship: Professional Poker Players

These two female professional poker players have been best friends for three years, and were also the last women standing in the World Series of Poker Championship Event in 2007 and 2008. From Vegas to Monte Carlo, the two have competed against the toughest fields across the world and hold their own playing for high stakes in a male-dominated sport.

Maria is currently ranked 33rd in the Top 100 Women's All Time Money list among poker players and finished 38th out of 6,358 people in the 2007 World Series of Poker Championship Event.

Tiffany, who is known throughout the poker community as "Hot Chips," fell into poker via Hollywood home games that she played with fellow actors while working in film and television. At the 2008 World Series of Poker Championship Event, Tiffany broke records when she finished 17th out of 6,844 players, the largest field ever conquered by a female in live tournament history.

Maria was born in Taipei, Taiwan, and moved to the United States with her family when she was just four years old and is fluent in Mandarin Chinese. Maria graduated from the University of California, San Diego with a degree in communication and a minor in law. When she is not busy traveling the poker tournament circuit, Maria enjoys singing with her sister's band, "Another Sky."

Born with a love for the stage and competition, Tiffany naturally found her way into competitive sports, pageants and the college Speech & Debate team. She got her start in theatre at the age of 10 and began performing and touring with shows across the country. A far departure from poker, Tiffany is a former beauty queen, having held the titles Miss Teen Newhall, Miss Teen Santa Clarita Valley and was a finalist in the Miss Teenage California where she was named Miss Congeniality.

As a team, these two are well traveled, extremely competitive, strong-minded, savvy players who can deal with any hand they are dealt. Even though they are known as two of the hottest young females in poker, they are willing to put pretty aside when it is time to battle it out.
    Tiffany is, if I recall correctly, the third-highest placing female in the WSOP Main Event, behind Barbara Enright (5th in 1995) and Annie Duke (10th in 2000-while very, very pregnant). Both these women have done a lot of musical theatre.

CBS Bio:
    Maria and Tiffany: The Amazing Race on CBS
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Re: Tiffany & Maria-TAR 15

I remember Tiffany's run last year at the WSOP main event. The main thing I remember about her is that she was pretty cutthroat.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

Both she and Maria are-you have to be cutthroat to play at their level.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3697508;
    Both she and Maria are-you have to be cutthroat to play at their level.
    Oh no I'm not talking about as a player, she was cutthroat as a person. She expressed public joy when the last woman was eliminated making her the last women standing; prompting announcer Norman Chad to say "so much for female solidarity" and she mean spiritly called the clock on a guy that was making a decision for all his chips. Others players around the table commented on how low that was and Norm Chad said that although she has a right to call the clock by the rules in that situation it was uncalled for.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

We are a catty bunch after all (us females; I don't play poker)-I remember reading in Annie Duke's autobiography (page 103) that can give you some insight:

"It's 2:05 PM. I glance over to the final table of the Ladies event, where the players-I don't know any of them very well-are surrounded by bleachers and high-wattage lights. Assuming the worst about women, ESPN's cameras are poised and ready to catch a glimpse of the always TV-worthy "catfighting". Most women players I know are too engrossed in the game for that."

Typically, most people are a lot nicer, but you also have to look at what she was going through-the Main Event is 7 days of stress. I know this year, it was all smiles between the final two, however they had a lot of days that ended early due to the large number of bust-outs. Someone like Tiffany would be very entertaining to watch on Survivor-in fact, the poker players are always fun to watch. Okay, so calling the clock on the guy going all-in is low, but like it or not she still has a place in the poker history books.

Who is John Galt?

If they get along well and are physically fit, they should be tough to beat. They obviously have the competitive spirit down pat and are probably very smart (both mentally and street-wise).

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerusty;3697581;
    Oh no I'm not talking about as a player, she was cutthroat as a person. She expressed public joy when the last woman was eliminated making her the last women standing; prompting announcer Norman Chad to say "so much for female solidarity" and she mean spiritly called the clock on a guy that was making a decision for all his chips. Others players around the table commented on how low that was and Norm Chad said that although she has a right to call the clock by the rules in that situation it was uncalled for.
    I don't see the problem in what she did. You have to have that killer instinct if you are competing for something.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3708348;
    I don't see the problem in what she did. You have to have that killer instinct if you are competing for something.
    It was definitely one of those you had to be there or seen it for yourself things. It wasn't about having killer instinct or competing. She was just being a plain oh B-Word. I can't put it any other way. I saying this as someone who was pulling for her because I love seeing women poker players do well.

17th out of 6,800+ is quite impressive. I saw some of her antics at the Main Event, but I thought it wasn't any worse than half the guys, and heck it was significantly better behavior than Phil Helmuth.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Yep, she's no Hellmuth, Matusow, or JRB.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast