+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: 3/29 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 3/29 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by NFL1;3396985;
    I too felt for Luke when his mom passed out, not only was he worried and scared for his mom, he couldn't communicate to know what exactly was happening when she was being led away. I hope they have an ASL interpreter there in addition to his mother. I kept thinking it would be really tough on him emotionally if she had to go to the hospital and he was left at the pitstop.

We've discussed this kind of thing on the Marge/Luke thread and the issue is that he should be able to get along in the hearing world by learning how to--for example--read lips. Also--he can write questions down and other people can write replies.

He's not helpless and IMO it's a shame to try to treat him as though he were helpless. Pitying people who are otherly-abled and treating them as though they are not completely competent to get along in the world does them no favors.

ETA--if he's a Deaf person who chooses to live only within the Deaf Culture (and therefore does not read lips or even write out questions etc for hearing people and chooses to have only limited exposiue to the hearing) then he should not have chosen to be in this race.
    Last edited by steppemaster; 03-31-2009 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3397886;
    As psycobabe007 said, the pumps were a part of the detour. Mark/Michael messed with a part of the challenge, leading them to get a penalty. The example you provided with the taxis isn't the same because it wasn't tampering with a detour or a RB. In this case, the team was messing with the other teams' means of transportation, which is okay. It's sneaky, but it's legal. Remember Rob/Amber stealing Debbie/Bianca's taxi? It was devious, but they didn't break the rules.
    I'd have to disagree...in both cases (cancelling the taxi and "hiding" the air pumps"), teams were messing with other teams transportation. And it's not like they took the air pumps, or hid them where they couldn't be found...they simply put them all in a box that was sitting there beside the pumps. It seems to me the following teams simply didn't read their clue and look in the box to get their air pumps. The edit didn't show any of the other teams even noticing their tires were low/flat nor complaining about it.

I think we as viewers were left out of the loop on exactly why that was a penalty.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Why was that box sitting there, anyway? Did Mike and Mark not get the pumps out of the box, or were the pumps just lying on the ground with the pumps next to them?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

The pumps were all out of the box, sprawled on the ground. They just dumped them all inside the box, hoping to confuse/slow down the others.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

I think that was a lousy penalty. They should have removed the box. Seems too ambiguous, to me.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Tivoer;3398346;
    I'd have to disagree...in both cases (cancelling the taxi and "hiding" the air pumps"), teams were messing with other teams transportation. And it's not like they took the air pumps, or hid them where they couldn't be found...they simply put them all in a box that was sitting there beside the pumps. It seems to me the following teams simply didn't read their clue and look in the box to get their air pumps. The edit didn't show any of the other teams even noticing their tires were low/flat nor complaining about it.

I think we as viewers were left out of the loop on exactly why that was a penalty.
    The pumps were part of a task as they were mentioned in the clue, the taxis were not. I guess with the TAR producers, there's a difference between messing with part of a detour and messing with others' transportation.

Not to mention that along with the pumps, the brother that did it picked up a few smaller pieces and dumped those in the box also. So there must have been other bits and pieces that came along with the pump that would have been harder to find in the small, cramped box.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

That's why I think exactly why it was a penalty wasn't explained very well. If you look at the video, the pumps were still visible in the box because all those small parts weren't enough to cover them. That's why I think it wasn't very clear as to why exactly it was a penalty. The clue, as read, didn't say the pumps would be laid out on the floor for them, just that they would be available. They just needed to look at the box to see them, IMHO. So I think there's a specific rule that we aren't privy too.

I actually think interfering with another team through impersonation is more of an issue than what these guys did, but again, that's my opinion. If a taxi shows up and asks if you're "X", and you're not "X", but you say you are...that I have an issue with. In that case, team "X" planned ahead and team "Y" interfered with the execution of their plan.

But...it is what it is. Still the best show on TV by far, in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3396816;
    No one has commented that TAR will NOT be on next week! So we have to wait two weeks for the next show.

Looking at the previews, they showed all of the teams except for Margie and Luke. We saw all the other teams doing something, like that karaoke in the taxi cabs, etc. I hope that was just editing and not that Margie couldn't complete the race!
    Saw a commercial on tv tonight for Sunday's new show where the teams are in Thailand and I am happy to report that Margie and Luke are indeed in the mix. So she obviously recovered from her heat stroke or whatever it was that caused her to pass out. Now I just hope that there is no golf game on in the afternoon and we get to watch it at 8 pm. I know NCAA is over, as well as football!, so the only delay I can think of would be a stupid golf game!

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3409621;
    Saw a commercial on tv tonight for Sunday's new show where the teams are in Thailand and I am happy to report that Margie and Luke are indeed in the mix. So she obviously recovered from her heat stroke or whatever it was that caused her to pass out. Now I just hope that there is no golf game on in the afternoon and we get to watch it at 8 pm. I know NCAA is over, as well as football!, so the only delay I can think of would be a stupid golf game!
    The Masters is on this weekend.

I saw the commercial, also, and it showed Victor and Tammy in a foot race with someone -"We have to beat them." It also showed the sisters having to backtrack at one point. And false teeth are involved. Yuck on that scene. LOL
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I guarantee you, The Masters will interfere. It always does. If it does interfere, let's just hope it's an exciting interference.

+ Reply to Thread