Poll: The Blind U-Turn - good idea or bad idea?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Blind U-Turn: good or bad idea?

The Blind U-Turn: good or bad idea?

Is it a good change, or should they have left it like it was?
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Re: The Blind U-Turn: good or bad idea?

I like it.

FORT Fan

I've never cared for the u-turn. There's enough going on in this race around the world. I think they should just let things play out as they will. I think the idea of a blind u-turn will make things more interesting.

I voted "it doesn't matter" since I'd rather see them do away with it.

CCL

I'm ambivalent so I chose option 3. I've never loved the uturn (except when it is used on a team I don't like ) so I wouldn't mind them getting rid of it. The fact that the uturn is now blind does add a bit of mystery to the game (though not for long as Luke apparently blabs about its usage). My main problem with the uturn is that TAR is not like Survivor or Big Brother where teams are dependent on their fellow gameplayers for their survival in the game (except, I guess, when it comes to the uturn). I mean, what can victims of the uturn going to do to the people who uturned them even if they knew who it was? Not like they can vote them off or anything.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I like it. It might be cowardly, but more teams are likely to use it and mix up the game since it's anonymous.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I dislike it. It's just a way to be mean, anonymously. I prefer true sportsmanship. This is just mean spirited.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

In a word: It's junk.

The race is plenty exciting enough without trying to manufacture drama.

Though I am also quite biased considering it knocked out my favorites Amanda and Kris.

The other thing I don't like is the inconsistent with which it falls on non-elim legs. After so many past seasons of seeing yielded/u-turned teams saved by non-eliminations, I was pretty sour on Sunday. I think it should be one or the other. Either place the U-Turn on an elimination leg in such a way that gives the victimized team a fighting chance to catch up (unlike the situation with A & K...seriously, worst U-Turn location ever), or place it on a leg where you won't be eliminating a team anyway.

It's a game, and this twist keeps it exciting. I like to see the shakeups and fall out.

The producers have tried a few different ways to throw a twist into the game. The Yield forced affected players to wait for 20 minutes (or so) just sitting around, they've changed the non-elimination penalty a number of times. Of their attempts, I think the U-Turn is a good option. It is task-oriented, unlike the Yield, which I hated as a device. TAR is a RACE, and the Yield made players just stop racing. It was completely counter to the idea of the game. The U-Turn is much more congruent with the spirit of TAR; it forces players to race harder to avoid being eliminated.

The "blind" option I'm not as fond of, though I voted "yes" above. The problem I saw with the U-turn as previously implemented was that teams were afraid to use it, because everyone always called it "dirty," or "cheating," or "low." C'mon, guys! It's part of the rules of the game! It's not cheating. But having a part of the game everyone is afraid to use is not much fun. The "blind" option is a way the producers are trying to get around that. That said, from a dramatic point of view, it remains to be seen if the fallout from the U-turn will be as interesting now.
    For those who are wondering, my name is spelt "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."
    My blog; My online art gallery
    "WORSHIP...is the most appropriate response that can be made to resurrection" - Eugene Peterson

FORT Fan

I don't like it. Either Blind or Regular...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast