View Poll Results: The Blind U-Turn - good idea or bad idea?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I love it! It'll keep them guessing.

31 54.39%
  • No - it's a cowardly way to do things.

18 31.58%
  • Doesn't really matter to me!

8 14.04%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Blind U-Turn: good or bad idea?

Re: The Blind U-Turn: good or bad idea?

I like it. I love TAR for the race, the locations and the interesting things you can learn about the world (I am still telling people how you go about building a mud hut), but I also really enjoy watching how people interact and how they deal with unusual and trying circumstances, including those that they might consider to be conniving or unfair.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

I'm not a big fan of the U-Turn unless the tasks are not hugely time consuming. This week's tasks (especially the log stacking) were very time consuming tasks. I don't know if ANYONE could have completed both of those tasks and stayed in the game. Thsi week the U-Turn just seemed like a way to ensure that your biggest competitor got booted.

I'm not a fan of the u-turn at all, blind or not. My preference would be to do away with it altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by jmb;3381100;
    I'm not a big fan of the U-Turn unless the tasks are not hugely time consuming. This week's tasks (especially the log stacking) were very time consuming tasks. I don't know if ANYONE could have completed both of those tasks and stayed in the game. Thsi week the U-Turn just seemed like a way to ensure that your biggest competitor got booted.
    Just as an FYI, in the Elimination Station video following their booting, Kris and Amanda said that their post-U-turn attempt at stacking the wood took them about 20 minutes.

That doesn't sound impossibly onerous to me.
    For those who are wondering, my name is spelt "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."
    My blog; My online art gallery
    "WORSHIP...is the most appropriate response that can be made to resurrection" - Eugene Peterson

FORT Fan

I like it, but if there is a U-turn, the leg should be non-elimination. It's quite unfair to be U-turned and then not given the chance to redeem themselves in the next leg.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by spector;3382959;
    I like it, but if there is a U-turn, the leg should be non-elimination. .

I agree with this. I think it would make for interesting gameplay (and tv!) if the u-turned team stuck around and had to figure out who u-turned them. I was disappointed when they were eliminated.

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

I like it - the twists and turns are part of the game. I like the idea of seemingly 'good' teams being able to challenge that notion privately.

I think that the aftermath this week, if there is any, will really decide it for me, though.
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

Since it's there, and especially since it's a blind one, as long as you and others can keep your mouth shut about who did it, it'd be a great opportunity.

Unless it's used on a team that I really liked.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

I don't have a problem with the regular U-turn, but I don't like the Blind U-turn.
    I think when teams were unable to do it anonomously it made them think twice about possible retaliation.
    This new way is cowardly, IMO.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by holly71;3383460;
    I don't have a problem with the regular U-turn, but I don't like the Blind U-turn.
    I think when teams were unable to do it anonomously it made them think twice about possible retaliation.
    This new way is cowardly, IMO.
    Totally agree.
    Also, I always enjoyed that TAR was one contest where you had to totally rely on both your physical and mental prowess. Inclusion of the U turn just makes it another - who can I scre* over in order to win - cuthroat type of game. Just not the best spirit for a show like this. I''ve always viewed this show as one of the true sportmanship games.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast