+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 3/8 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 3/8 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by teetoo;3376398;
    I start off every race by rooting for the underdogs - this season's race:

Brad & Victoria - both elderly - eliminated last week - this still stings
    Holy crap.... in what world are 52 and 47 considered "elderly"?????????
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by teetoo;3376398;
    I start off every race by rooting for the underdogs - this season's race:

Brad & Victoria - both elderly - eliminated last week - this still stings

Mel & Mike - one elderly - the whole prayer thing turned me off, as well as not being able to open a gate (hello, gates/doors can both be pulled or pushed open)

Mark & Mike - height challenged - first they miss the signs pointing to where the logs were, then they wander for a long time before turning back, then once they saw how high the stack had to be (it looked like at least a foot higher than their reach, why wouldn't they decide to do the other challenge at that point?), and finally, they wandered around again and couldn't find the house for a long time since the second group of racers caught up with them. No longer on my list.

Margie & Luke - he's deaf - his constant whining and Margie's babying have turned me off of these two.

I don't have a problem with U-Turns or Yields, since they are part of the game, but I don't like the Blind U-Turn. I would rather have the team that used the U-Turn made known. It makes things more interesting with the second U-Turn, alliances, and future drama.
    Wow! Elderly? I don't think I would consider anyone in the race elderly. If they were elderly, they wouldn't be able to run the race. My 88 year old Grandmother and 99 year old Papa are elderly. My 61 year old Mom and 66 year old Dad are far from elderly.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3376426;
    That's funny that we were thinking the same thing Broadway
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I'm surprised by the Luke dislike here! His trouble with Chekhov was no different than 90% of the teams who also struggled with it because they didn't know the answer either. I think that the sounds he makes come off as whining, but he seemed to be frustrated and saying the same things that the others were saying when they didn't know. Also, he has lived apart from his mother for the past 5 years. She is probably reverting back to how she treated him when he was younger and lived with her.
    Last edited by Unklescott; 03-09-2009 at 10:07 PM. Reason: hate talk

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3376426;
    "Elderly" compared to the twenty-somethings of the race (Luke, Tammy, Kris, Amanda, Cara, Jaime, Kiska, Jennifer, the other Jennifer, & Preston). I meant to and should have said older, not elderly. Linda and Steve are also older, but he turned me off from the beginning.

This episode should have been an NEL. To be Philiminated by a U-Turn is wrong.
    Luke=Punk

I was waiting for someone to say "Russian author? Wasn't he on Star Trek?"

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by umass;3376640;
    This episode should have been an NEL. To be Philiminated by a U-Turn is wrong.
    Luke=Punk
    Agreed. Since this was the first Blind U-Turn, it should have been a NEL. Would have nice fun to see Kris/Amanda trying to figure out who did it to them.

To the Point

Okay, I just have to say this and I know in doing so that many of you will not understand and/or agree, however...So many have mentioned Luke's whining and judged him for said whining. Luke is DEAF as so many of you have also pointed out, but it's been done as if we all know it and he should just stop whining. He's not necessarily whining. I only added the necessarily because were he a hearing individual we might find that he truly is whining at times. It is not unusual for those who are truly deaf to sound whiny in all of their vocal expression of feeling. Were Luke able to express himself in the ways that those of us in the hearing world are acustomed then you might find that he is just expressing frustration the same as any other contestant. This is just a subject that does bother me because I grew up with a friend who is deaf. You do get more used to this vocalization as you spend time socializing in real world situations with the deaf. Let me just say it can be quite an experience to spend anytime around a large group of deaf folks. When they get together, having fun or just communicating, it's almost as if they forget they are vocalizing.

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker;3378083;
    Okay, I just have to say this and I know in doing so that many of you will not understand and/or agree, however...So many have mentioned Luke's whining and judged him for said whining. Luke is DEAF as so many of you have also pointed out, but it's been done as if we all know it and he should just stop whining. He's not necessarily whining. I only added the necessarily because were he a hearing individual we might find that he truly is whining at times. It is not unusual for those who are truly deaf to sound whiny in all of their vocal expression of feeling. Were Luke able to express himself in the ways that those of us in the hearing world are acustomed then you might find that he is just expressing frustration the same as any other contestant. This is just a subject that does bother me because I grew up with a friend who is deaf. You do get more used to this vocalization as you spend time socializing in real world situations with the deaf. Let me just say it can be quite an experience to spend anytime around a large group of deaf folks. When they get together, having fun or just communicating, it's almost as if they forget they are vocalizing.
    Thanks for posting this NCLurker. I don't understand and frankly am shocked to hear all the negativity towards Luke. I understand that some people have a negative reaction to "sob" stories but I don't feels like that's happening here. While I do feel that Luke is inspiring I also feel like he's just a typical young man who happens to have a disability. Just like a few years ago when they had the cousins Myrna and (don't remember the other one's name) I was inspired that she was LP and running the race but I also enjoyed the 2 of them because I thought they were hilarious and their accents were cute and it was cute when they spoke in Portuguese. I guess my point is I would like Luke as a competitor whether he was deaf or hearing. I always try to look past a person's disability and see them as a person. My Dad started out as a special ED teacher and has worked his way up to a school administrator (director of special ED for the whole district to be exact) and so I have been around people with disabilities my whole life, going to Special Olympics, etc... I have learned that people with disabilities are just people and I will never understand why people mistreat them or look at them differently or are afraid of them. It our differences that make us interesting as human beings. I have a cousin who has an IQ of about 75 and he is married to a very intelligent woman who has an engineering degree and does the best he can to support his family and he is a very good father. Just because he's not smart doesn't mean that he can't be a contributing member to society and it doesn't mean than he can't fall in love and raise a family. We questioned her motives for marrying him at first since she is a foreigner and so we thought she just wanted a green card but that is not so at all. It is so obviously that she is just really so crazy in love with him. Anyway, I kind of went off on a tangent so I'll stop now.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

CCL

I understand what you are saying, NCLurker, regarding vocalization but, to me, Luke's vocalization during the Chekhov task was part and parcel of his whiny (and defeatist) response to it.

Regarding your other point, I'm not really sure when the discussion regarding the difficulty of the Chekhov task became so Luke-centric. While saying that, I maintain that the task should not have been any harder for Luke because of his being deaf (and that the task itself was not very hard at all).
    Last edited by CCL; 03-10-2009 at 02:59 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread