+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 3/8 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 3/8 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

^I agree, and the people here are sure making a big deal about Chekhov.

I would have liked to have seen if Mel had known Chekhov, I was betting he would. As it was, we know he got it, but not how many tries it took.
    Didn't he say that as soon as he saw the letters, he knew who it was (or was that someone else?).

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by steppemaster;3375995;

Okay--he was being asked to create a name in a third language--Russian.
    But it's not like he had to use the Cyrillic alphabet (the name was in English).

I'm not being hard specifically on Luke regarding the Chekhov task. Honestly, I think it was a pretty easy task (and I've never read a Chekhov work) & I was surprised so many had trouble with it.
    Last edited by CCL; 03-09-2009 at 01:07 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by RainbowWindy;3376213;
    Didn't he say that as soon as he saw the letters, he knew who it was (or was that someone else?).
    I think that was Viktor. He was like, everyone knows Chekhov.

I don't really think Luke was any worse than some of the others who didn't know it. But it is really sad that so many people (in general) don't know things like this. You don't have to have read him to have heard of him. And Lenin and Stalin, too.

I personally think for a hearing impaired person knowing the name Chekhov would be harder. Think about it, you may have heard the name Chekhov in passing conversation about literature, but how often do you think that those letters are SIGNED to Luke? As well, part of the reason Chekhov is mildly easy for most of us to remember is because the letter combinations and pronunciation makes the name stand out as memorable...probably not so much when the letters are just signed.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by kristin626;3376247;
    I personally think for a hearing impaired person knowing the name Chekhov would be harder. Think about it, you may have heard the name Chekhov in passing conversation about literature, but how often do you think that those letters are SIGNED to Luke? As well, part of the reason Chekhov is mildly easy for most of us to remember is because the letter combinations and pronunciation makes the name stand out as memorable...probably not so much when the letters are just signed.

But as I pointed out above--he doesn't just sign as his only accesss to communication--he reads as well.

Which--IMO--puts him in the same situation as the other contestants for that particular task.

I'm learning ASL right now-and it hasn't interferred with my ability to read and comprehend English.

Why would his mother think he didn't understand what to do? Didn't he read the instructions they were given?

I find his mother to be getting on my nerves with her excuses for him. I also find it disturbing that he seems not to read lips at all.

Most Deaf people I know do some lip reading because so many people in our culture do not yet sign.

I have been seeing some dependency issues between Luke and his mom. It's not like she's the only person in the world who can communicate with him and he with her.

There's a whole world of people who sign.

Deaf/Hearing Impaired people are not handicapped in the sense that they can get along perfectly well in at least two worlds--the hearing world and the Deaf culture--unless they've been held back by overprotective parents.

I am starting to see some of that on the show.

I am beginning to find his mother's attitude of "Oh look what he can do!" to be a bit cloying--and quite honestly belittling of her son.

Of course he can do things--he's a fully functioning adult.

Steppe-

I agree with everything you said about Luke and his Mom, my point was, to read the name Chekhov is not the same as hearing it. I personally think that the reason Chekhov is easy to remember is because of the unique way it SOUNDS. Also, lots of people haven't read Russian Literature, so where exactly would he have read the name Chekhov? That's my point, not that he is dumb or couldn't have read it, but honestly, most people know the name Chekhov from having heard it, not from having read it in another book.
    Last edited by kristin626; 03-09-2009 at 01:41 PM. Reason: horrible grammar =)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by kristin626;3376289;
    Steppe-

I agree with everything you said about Luke and his Mom, my point was, to read the name Chekhov is not the same as hearing it. I personally think that the reason Chekhov is easy to remember is because of the unique way it SOUNDS. Also, lots of people haven't read Russian Literature, so where exactly would he have read the name Chekhov? That's my point, not that he is dumb or couldn't have read it, but honestly, most people know the name Chekhov from having heard it, not from having read it in another book.

Kristen--hmmm--okay--I see what you're saying. i guess I have a slightly different take on that since I have read about Chekhov and read his plays--and have even been in some scenes from his plays.

I'll have to think more about what you've said.

btw--I hadn't realized just how much his mom's condescending attitude had been bothering me until I posted to you.

So--thanks for helping me figure out what was bugging me about her.

Right now because I am studying ASL, I am very conscious of attitudes towards the Deaf and about who they are as human beings.

I appreciate being able to express my thoughts about those issues here.

ETA--wow--I just read the info on Luke on their thread. He's 22! I would have guessed he's younger based on how his mom treats him and on how he behaves when he's with her.

IMO she has trained him to be very dependent on her.
    Last edited by steppemaster; 03-09-2009 at 01:54 PM.

FORT Regular

I start off every race by rooting for the underdogs - this season's race:

Brad & Victoria - both elderly - eliminated last week - this still stings

Mel & Mike - one elderly - the whole prayer thing turned me off, as well as not being able to open a gate (hello, gates/doors can both be pulled or pushed open)

Mark & Mike - height challenged - first they miss the signs pointing to where the logs were, then they wander for a long time before turning back, then once they saw how high the stack had to be (it looked like at least a foot higher than their reach, why wouldn't they decide to do the other challenge at that point?), and finally, they wandered around again and couldn't find the house for a long time since the second group of racers caught up with them. No longer on my list.

Margie & Luke - he's deaf - his constant whining and Margie's babying have turned me off of these two.

I don't have a problem with U-Turns or Yields, since they are part of the game, but I don't like the Blind U-Turn. I would rather have the team that used the U-Turn made known. It makes things more interesting with the second U-Turn, alliances, and future drama.

I was appalled by how many of the racers did not know who Anton Chekhov was. I remember reading The Cherry Orchard in middle school and Uncle Vanya in high school -- and enjoying them.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread