+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mel & Mike - TAR 14

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar

Mel & Mike - TAR 14

Mel White (68)
    Mike White (38)

Hometown: Lynchburg, Va / Santa Monica, Calif..
    Occupation: Mel (Writer, Clergyman); Mike (Writer, Producer, Actor);
    Relationship: Father/Son

Mike and Mel had a pretty typical family life until Mike was 11 years old, which is when Mel told the family that he was gay. Mel and Mike’s mother remained married until Mike and his sister, Erinn, went to college. Mel is now married to his life partner of 27 years, Gary Nixon.

Mike works as a writer, director and actor in Los Angeles. His writing credits include the feature films "Nacho Libre" and "School of Rock," in which he also starred opposite Jack Black and Sarah Silverman, as well as the television series "Pasadena." Mike and Mel are eager to spend some quality time racing around the globe. Mike describes himself as entertaining, thoughtful and “ridiculously pale.” These two might not be the most physical team on the Race, but they’ll surely compensate with their wit and communication skills.

Mel, a gay-rights activist, has worked as a writer, professor, filmmaker and a pastor and is eager to have a once in a lifetime experience with his youngest child. He’s confident that his people skills will give him an advantage over some of the other Racers. He describes himself as energetic, caring and passionate and enjoys scuba diving and racquetball. When asked who he would model his style of game play after, he pointed to Season 7 winners Uchenna and Joyce, while Mike will model his game play after the "never say die" attitude of Charla and Mirna.

Mike and Mel are well-traveled, opinionated and huge fans of the Race.

Amazing Race Cast - CBS.com
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Re: Mel & Mike - TAR 14

Yay, gotta cheer for Mr Schneebly
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;3297686;
    Yay, gotta cheer for Mr Schneebly
    LOL... you certainly do! He has a very interesting back story as well.

I love how his character in School of Rock was such a doormat until the end when he finally stood up to that nasty HO Sarah Silverman (I'm talking about the actress as well as the character ) That's one of my favorite movies I hope they do well but really, this isn't celebrity edition so I'm not sure how appropriate this is...I know that he's just a D lister or whatever (I really don't know the criteria!) but still...I'll probably root for them anyway!
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

OMFG, School of Rock is one of my favorite movies ever! I haven't watched it recently, but I gotta go back and watch it some time.

But oddly enough, these two aren't one of my pre-show favorites. I like other teams more than I do with these two. They still gain points from me, though, with the whole School of Rock background.
    Last edited by CrossingGuard; 02-01-2009 at 06:25 PM.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

It'll be such a kick to see Mike White in this game. I've onily seen parts of School of Rock or Nacho Libre on TV, but I know White from his earlier, more quirky/twisted independent stuff like Chuck & Buck and The Good Girl.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I don't remember him in School of Rock, but he was terrific in Chuck & Buck.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

I hope Mel can recover from that groin pull. He didn't look like he was doing very well in the previews for tomorrow.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;3339351;
    I hope Mel can recover from that groin pull. He didn't look like he was doing very well in the previews for tomorrow.
    I saw that preview and from the CBS site it says
    Click to see Spoiler:
    One team has to make a game altering/ending decision
    . But I'm skeptical that it's not just typical CBS hype and they make out just fine for the mean time.

I'm not a big fan of these two. They don't annoy me but they didn't stand out completely, either.

I am totally rooting for these two! I would say that they're my favs but I do have to root for Christy/Jodi since Christy is an Oklahoma girl but I also genuinely like them even without the Okie connection. There were only 2 teams I didn't like so far and 1 was eliminated and the other is the redneck couple (don't remember their names). I just feel sorry for the wife because the husband is so mean to her. They are only 9 years apart but physically there's usually a big difference between 43 and 52.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast