+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Margie & Luke - TAR 14

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar

Margie & Luke - TAR 14

Margie Adams (50)
    Luke Adams (22)

Hometown: Denver, Colo.
    Occupation: Margaret (Clinical Research Associate); Luke (College Graduate)
    Relationship: Mother/Son

This mother/son team is determined to show the world that nothing can stop them from living out their dreams. They enjoy hiking and traveling together and share a strong bond. Luke has been deaf since birth and Margie became his link to the hearing world. He uses American Sign Language to communicate.

Luke and his mother have developed their own short hand sign language and the ability to almost read each other’s mind – an ability that will undoubtedly come in handy on the road. One of the most moving moments they shared was when Luke surprised his mother by delivering a valedictorian speech at his graduation ceremony from Colorado School for the Deaf and Blind.

Margie is looking at this experience as a great opportunity to spend quality time with her son. She describes herself as competitive and a little controlling, but in a good way. She is willing to go anywhere the Race takes her and isn't afraid of adventure. She enjoys hiking and running while Luke also enjoys hiking and biking. Luke describes himself as talkative, determined and adventurous.

Luke hopes to be a role-model for deaf people everywhere while proving that the deaf can do just about anything and to never think otherwise. He believes his knowledge on the topic of anything and everything Race related - he’s one of the biggest fans of the show ever - will help his team win.

Margie and Luke are excited to see new places, experience new foods and learn about different cultures – all the while fulfilling a shared dream – to compete and win "The Amazing Race."

Amazing Race Cast - CBS.com
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Re: Margie & Luke - TAR 14

I had heard one of the racers was deaf. It should be interesting to watch. I hope they do well.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Normally I don't care for the "I'm out to prove we can do anything" angle but I think I'll make an exception in this case. Since it doesn't say it, I'm guessing Luke doesn't lip read, and I'm really anxious to see how this will play out on the race. How will they divide up the roadblocks, since they each have to do 6, and sometimes that involves communicating with locals.

I will be rooting for them I also hope they do well and make it far.

I have to admit that I was pretty shocked when these two came up during the "All New Race, All New Teams" video, speaking in sign language. I was wondering if him being deaf was going to be a hassle during this race.

But these two seem strong enough to overcome the preconceived notions and pull through. I just hope that the storyline of him being deaf doesn't get shoved down our throats every 10 min of each episode.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3299202;
    I have to admit that I was pretty shocked when these two came up during the "All New Race, All New Teams" video, speaking in sign language. I was wondering if him being deaf was going to be a hassle during this race.
    Well, it should be interesting. I wonder how far they will go as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3299202;
    I just hope that the storyline of him being deaf doesn't get shoved down our throats every 10 min of each episode.
    Like the Goth Team!
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

In most games I wouldn't think it was a problem, but I'm wondering how one will drive with eyes on the road while the other reads the map, especially since they won't be familiar with the area. I'm hoping they have devised some neat communication system that will let them stay safe.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3303347;
    In most games I wouldn't think it was a problem, but I'm wondering how one will drive with eyes on the road while the other reads the map, especially since they won't be familiar with the area. I'm hoping they have devised some neat communication system that will let them stay safe.
    It called sign language I'm sure they'll do just fine.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

Quote Originally Posted by stacerace;3304207;
    It called sign language I'm sure they'll do just fine.
    That could be a problem, though. Remember one of them is normally in the back seat. Mom driving can't sign very well with one hand. Luke driving can't turn around and watch mom.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

In the first season, both team members could sit up front with the camera person in the back, but I believe they changed that to make for better footage. Even putting both of them up front, I still think it'd be a challenge to be signing and taking your eyes off the road, even for a second (lord knows teams have missed obvious signs keeping both eyes on the road). I also wonder how Luke will communicate with locals if his mom isn't there. That's why, as much as I want to see this team do well, I'm not sure if they will.

I'm also an avid fan of the Asia edition of TAR & a deaf guy,Adrian, (Team Adrian & Collin from Singapore) actually won season 2.
    Adrian didn't let his disability become a hindrance.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast