+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 194

Thread: Margie & Luke - TAR 14

  1. #71
    FORT Regular CrimsonLine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    63

    Re: Margie & Luke - TAR 14

    India really does that to you. It's one reason I'm always happy to see TAR visit India. Americans generally have little conception of what true poverty is like, and India gives that to you in spades. Plus, India is a major culture difference from the U.S., which tends to adopt generally European cultural patterns.
    For those who are wondering, my name is spelt "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."
    My blog; My online art gallery
    "WORSHIP...is the most appropriate response that can be made to resurrection" - Eugene Peterson

  2. #72
    HELL-O DR OLIVER! stacerace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bethany, Oklahoma
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,905

    Re: Margie & Luke - TAR 14

    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonLine;3390144;
    India really does that to you. It's one reason I'm always happy to see TAR visit India. Americans generally have little conception of what true poverty is like, and India gives that to you in spades. Plus, India is a major culture difference from the U.S., which tends to adopt generally European cultural patterns.
    I've never had the opportunity to go to India but I've always wanted to. City of Joy is one of my favorite movies. I have not seen Slumdog Millionaire yet but my friend's husband, who is Pakistani, said that it is very accurate. I always look forward to the episodes in India for several reasons. 1. The architecture is breathtaking 2. The colors of the fabrics are incredible and 3. It shows the contestants' true colors. If they stop to look around long enough to be aware of their surroundings, whether they're running a race or not, to feel compassion for those less fortunate it shows me that they are a compassionate person. But if they are just too focused on the task at hand, then they seem to be greedy to me. But that's probably subjective because we only see what the producers want us to see. A person could have shown compassion but they just didn't show it on TV.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

    "We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

    "Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

  3. #73
    FORT Fogey norealityhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,146

    Re: Margie & Luke - TAR 14

    Luke was not the only one who seemed to show compassion in India. They did seem to focus on him quite a lot last night, though.
    There was 1 season of TAR where the winning couple - in particular, the female - were in some very poor part of Africa, I believe. The female kept talking about these people "still procreating", even in light of the poverty. They were, for me, the least deserving people to have ever won on TAR. She truly came off as your "ugly American" abroad image. Repulsive.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

  4. #74
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,121

    Re: Margie & Luke - TAR 14

    Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3390292;
    Luke was not the only one who seemed to show compassion in India. They did seem to focus on him quite a lot last night, though.
    There was 1 season of TAR where the winning couple - in particular, the female - were in some very poor part of Africa, I believe. The female kept talking about these people "still procreating", even in light of the poverty. They were, for me, the least deserving people to have ever won on TAR. She truly came off as your "ugly American" abroad image. Repulsive.
    Ouch. So embarrassing and unhelpful to all. I have a vague recollection of this person but don't have the energy to google her. There have been a few people on this show who have made me cringe with their politically incorrect - or just plain old stupid - comments.

    I watched 20/20 the other night. They featured a story about America's impoverished in Kentucky. We think we have it so good over here, but there are plenty who are suffering. It's all over the world. The shame of it is that there are probably enough money and resources to go around but they lie in the hands of only a few.

  5. #75
    FORT Fanatic DCBelleonWheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    686

    Re: Margie & Luke - TAR 14

    Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3390292;
    Luke was not the only one who seemed to show compassion in India. They did seem to focus on him quite a lot last night, though.
    There was 1 season of TAR where the winning couple - in particular, the female - were in some very poor part of Africa, I believe. The female kept talking about these people "still procreating", even in light of the poverty. They were, for me, the least deserving people to have ever won on TAR. She truly came off as your "ugly American" abroad image. Repulsive.
    Oh, yes. I remember her. I was infuriated. INFURIATED!!

  6. #76
    addicted MamaC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NY
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,499

    Re: Margie & Luke - TAR 14

    Freddie and Kendra.

  7. #77
    FORT Regular CrimsonLine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    63

    Re: Margie & Luke - TAR 14

    It was Kendra, all right - but did they win?

    Edit - Yes, they did. Ugh.
    For those who are wondering, my name is spelt "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."
    My blog; My online art gallery
    "WORSHIP...is the most appropriate response that can be made to resurrection" - Eugene Peterson

  8. #78
    FoRT Lurker CrossingGuard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bay Area / Boston
    Age
    21
    Posts
    5,836

    Re: Margie & Luke - TAR 14

    Over the course of these episodes, I've grown to dislike these two (moreso Luke than Margie). Sorry, I just don't find myself rooting for them. Luke's growing frustration with all of the tasks he can't finish quickly irks me to no end. Stop complaining and get done with it (ex - Siberia's "Chekhov" puzzle, Austria's "pie-throwing" detour). I'm aware of the fact that the race is stressful and it may bring out your bad emotions, but while Luke complains, I find that the other teams have a better attitude.

    Additionally, there's their hypocrisy, and though it only came up once, it really rubbed me the wrong way. It was after Tammy & Victor drove away (in the 2nd Siberian leg), leaving behind a frustrated Margie & Luke. I thought it was understandable for them to be mad, but 1) this came after the two of them u-turned Amanda/Kris in the leg before, so they of all people should know that this is a competition; and 2) there was never any sort of alliance between the two teams. It was more like a simple agreeance to go to the same location. Now I had no problem with them using the U-turn. It was unneeded, but it's there for your advantage. Use it. But with them using it, they should know that in the end, no allegiances will withstand as every team is going for that million.

    Lastly, Luke is getting a lot of airtime. Just like I feared, his story is getting shoved down our throats. This isn't Luke nor Margie's fault as it's the editors who choose what to edit into the episodes. Although there hasn't been any mention of his disability in recent episodes, it was getting mentioned a lot in the earlier ones.

    I know a lot of you like these two, but I don't. They're really strong racers (fun fact: they have only placed 1st or 4th in any leg), and I'm kind of expecting them to make the F3. But I really don't want to see them win.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

  9. #79
    HELL-O DR OLIVER! stacerace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bethany, Oklahoma
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,905

    Re: Margie & Luke - TAR 14

    Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3396835;
    Over the course of these episodes, I've grown to dislike these two (moreso Luke than Margie). Sorry, I just don't find myself rooting for them. Luke's growing frustration with all of the tasks he can't finish quickly irks me to no end. Stop complaining and get done with it (ex - Siberia's "Chekhov" puzzle, Austria's "pie-throwing" detour). I'm aware of the fact that the race is stressful and it may bring out your bad emotions, but while Luke complains, I find that the other teams have a better attitude.

    Additionally, there's their hypocrisy, and though it only came up once, it really rubbed me the wrong way. It was after Tammy & Victor drove away (in the 2nd Siberian leg), leaving behind a frustrated Margie & Luke. I thought it was understandable for them to be mad, but 1) this came after the two of them u-turned Amanda/Kris in the leg before, so they of all people should know that this is a competition; and 2) there was never any sort of alliance between the two teams. It was more like a simple agreeance to go to the same location. Now I had no problem with them using the U-turn. It was unneeded, but it's there for your advantage. Use it. But with them using it, they should know that in the end, no allegiances will withstand as every team is going for that million.

    Lastly, Luke is getting a lot of airtime. Just like I feared, his story is getting shoved down our throats. This isn't Luke nor Margie's fault as it's the editors who choose what to edit into the episodes. Although there hasn't been any mention of his disability in recent episodes, it was getting mentioned a lot in the earlier ones.

    I know a lot of you like these two, but I don't. They're really strong racers (fun fact: they have only placed 1st or 4th in any leg), and I'm kind of expecting them to make the F3. But I really don't want to see them win.
    Now that my favorite team: Team Schneebly is gone, Margie and Luke are the ONLY ones I'm rooting for and I hope they DO win!

    I understand where you're coming from CG but I have to disagree. You mention Luke's frustration as a reason you dislike him but that's only been 2 instances. His not liking pie being thrown at him is perfectly understandable. Some people don't like to get sticky. My nephew was like that at 9 months old, and still is at 6. He would freak out until you cleaned whatever sticky food was on his hands. As far as the puzzle is concerned, I happened to think that puzzle was beyond easy but not everyone would have an easy time with that. Also, his mom said that he misunderstood the directions so it's understandable to me that he should get frustrated with that as well.

    I don't agree that him getting upset at Tammy and Victor is hypocritical with regards to the U Turn. The U Turn was part of the game and Tammy and Victor lied to them when Luke understood there was an alliance or an agreement. Whether they technically did or not, Luke perceived that there was.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

    "We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

    "Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

  10. #80
    signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,557

    Re: Margie & Luke - TAR 14

    I love this team more and more each week. Margie is a super-woman!! I am probably her age and could never do the things she does. Of course there is no way my teenaged son would let me pull him in a rick-shaw, he would do the pulling, and that's a good thing because I would have passed out long before she did!

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.