+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Margie & Luke - TAR 14

Re: Margie & Luke - TAR 14

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3381660;
    Rudeness is not necessarily the sole arena of "normally-abled" (whatever that may mean) people.
    Actually, they are just like everybody else.
    Yes. That's what I was trying to say and I think was Crimson was trying to say, too.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3380914;
    The couple that was eliminated last week was sent home because they were detoured and had to do both challenges.
    Don't you mean U-Turned?

FORT Fanatic

Does anyone know why he didn't learn to read lips? It seems like it puts a lot of extra responsibility on his Mom. And once the show ended, how will he manage in real life as he relates to the hearing world who don't know sign language?

Quote Originally Posted by swissmiss150;3382918;
    Does anyone know why he didn't learn to read lips? It seems like it puts a lot of extra responsibility on his Mom. And once the show ended, how will he manage in real life as he relates to the hearing world who don't know sign language?
    I heard that some sects of the deaf refuse to learn how to lip-read because they don't want to feel like they are being forced to conform to society.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3380914;
    I agree with this, but I think the bad karma comes from the existence of the detours themselves - not the use of them.

Using them is completely legal and so they will be used.

However, in a game like this where the challenges are extremely time consumming, I don't think the detour concept is fair.

The couple that was eliminated last week was sent home because they were detoured and had to do both challenges.

It's just too rigourous an obstacle to remain competitive.
    U-Turn, not Detour.

That said, the U-Turn more often than not hasn't changed the outcome on the leg of the race. Sometimes a team will (not knowing where they are in the pack) U-Turn a team ahead of them, and other times the team in last gets it, and still other times it just makes one team later in, but doesn't change the loser.

In this case, Kris & Amanda knocked over their logpile, so they had mostly done the wood stacking, then CHANGED detour options and went to the shutter building. Had they not messed up the stacking they'd have been very close to Luke & Margie and would have probably powered through the shuttering and not come in last. The U-Turn only took them out because they made a mistake elsewhere on the course.

That said, I think pairing the U-Turn with a NEL would be a good way to throw a little drama on the fire, but it also would be a little predictable after a while "Oh, U-Turn? Then they're not eliminating."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce;3382175;
    Don't you mean U-Turned?
    My bad. Sorry to ruffle so many feathers.

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;3359906;
    Luke seems like a nice young man to me, and pretty typical for his age. He seems intelligent and competitive, and I am sure he can be a pain in the neck sometimes too (like all of us). His mother, on the other hand, is amazing to me. She is patient, kind, and an amazing physical competitor! I think they are a terrific team and I hope they do well.

ITA. This is a great team to watch and I hope they continue to do well. Margie is an amazing woman and mother and they really are very close for a Mother and Son. What a hoot when Luke and others went racing down the street in their underwear. Got to give them a lot of credit for that portion of the race!

FORT Fogey

Seems Luke displayed quite a bit of empathy while in India. IMO this is indicative of a kind and benevolent soul - not a rude one.

His mother is phenomenal.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3389925;
    Seems Luke displayed quite a bit of empathy while in India. IMO this is indicative of a kind and benevolent soul - not a rude one.

His mother is phenomenal.
    I would have to agree to your post Jexter - Luke's Mother is just an extraordinary woman!! Is she, or has she been a single Mother and if so, does anyone know for how long? It seems to me like I heard or read somewhere that its just Luke and his Mom, and that its only been the two of the for a very long time.

I was so touched by Luke's display of empathy, and his concern for the children. I wonder if he makes it a priority, or takes some sort of action later on after the race to go back to India to make things better. Such as volunteering, or to be a part of an organization to help those in need, such as he saw in India.

They are a fantastic team! I hope they continue to do well

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I got all choked up when Luke got emotional. I can't imagine what it would be like to experience what they saw in person.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread