+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Margie & Luke - TAR 14

Re: Margie & Luke - TAR 14

It's a game. You use the advantages you can and hope for the best.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Rags317;3379364;
    It's a game. You use the advantages you can and hope for the best.

Rags--as an aside to our discussion about how otherly-abled people are sometimes treated--someone I ran into yesterday who I know is Deaf would not sign with me.

I did the sign for "Hello" and he looked away so he didn't even see my next sign.

Put me in my place.

I know he signs because he works in a store I go to often and I have seen him animatedly signing with other people who come in to the store.

So it can go both ways I guess.

Yes, it can. As with anything else. Did he want to read lips or did he just not want to talk?

FORT Fogey

Rags--he seemd not to want to talk. I admit that he hasn't been very "friendly" when he has rung up my purchases in the past which is why I decided to try signing to see if that made a difference.

Apparently I am simply not someone he wants to talk to.

That's okay of course.

What I found interesting was my own unacknowledged--until that moment--baseless idea that any Deaf person would want to speak with me if I were signing.

So he helped me see how that really makes no sense.
    Very helpful--and revealing--experience for me to have.

Quote Originally Posted by steppemaster;3380890;
    someone I ran into yesterday who I know is Deaf would not sign with me.

I did the sign for "Hello" and he looked away so he didn't even see my next sign.

Put me in my place.

...I admit that he hasn't been very "friendly" when he has rung up my purchases in the past which is why I decided to try signing to see if that made a difference.

Apparently I am simply not someone he wants to talk to.

That's okay of course.
    Maybe it's just me, but if it were a hearing person, who was being spoken to by someone else, I would call that behavior "rude." Part of being polite - a HUGE part of being polite - is a general level of kindness to everyone, no?
    For those who are wondering, my name is spelt "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."
    My blog; My online art gallery
    "WORSHIP...is the most appropriate response that can be made to resurrection" - Eugene Peterson

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3378324;
    I still like Luke and Margie. I don't, however, like it when participants use the detour. I just think of it like karma and it always seems to come back when you least can afford it.
    I agree with this, but I think the bad karma comes from the existence of the detours themselves - not the use of them.

Using them is completely legal and so they will be used.

However, in a game like this where the challenges are extremely time consumming, I don't think the detour concept is fair.

The couple that was eliminated last week was sent home because they were detoured and had to do both challenges.

It's just too rigourous an obstacle to remain competitive.

Their use can put good and fair teams in losing positions in a very random way.

I think it's their extreme nature and randomness that causes the bad juju.

People who use the detour option play are within their rights, but I agree that bad juju in inherent in their use.

I'm tired. Hope that makes some sense!

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonLine;3380909;
    Maybe it's just me, but if it were a hearing person, who was being spoken to by someone else, I would call that behavior "rude." Part of being polite - a HUGE part of being polite - is a general level of kindness to everyone, no?
    Yes, that's considered general rudeness. If a hearing cashier didn't answer a hello back to you it would be rude. Just like my 13 yr old extremely articulate daughter. When we went to vote she was tired and didn't feel like talking. When the voting workers were trying to have a conversation with her she was just grunting at them (yes, I was very embarrassed). I have no idea why she suddenly reverted to her 2 -3 year old behavior, but she didn't. Finally I looked at her and said "We use words". When we left we had a conversation how that's not ok. If someone is trying to be nice to you the polite thing to do is answer back.

Weighing in on the Luke/whiny conversation. My former fiance's father was deaf. He read lips so well that his son and daughter neither one ever learned sign language other than letters and numbers and a few signs (I love you). We dated for 3 years so I spent a lot of time around his father. While he did make some of the same noises like Luke makes he wasn't a whiny giver-upper. I think Luke wanted to give up too easily. To me it was more in the whole wanting to give up attitude he was displaying than the sounds he was making.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonLine;3380909;
    ABSOLUTELY!!!

:)

There is some very interesting discussion in this thread regarding hearing vs. deaf ways of communication. I think some of those issues have gotten intermingled with some posters' opinions of Luke. I think that some aspects of personality come through with very little verbal communication at all, and that vibe is what has brought about some of the "attitude" or "whiny" comments.

Personally, I do think Luke is easily frustrated, for whatever reason, and it very well could be his & Margie's downfall in this race (that and the bad mojo from using the blind u-turn).

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Rudeness is not necessarily the sole arena of "normally-abled" (whatever that may mean) people.
    Actually, they are just like everybody else.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread