+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Margie & Luke - TAR 14

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Re: Margie & Luke - TAR 14

I loved Margie and Luke so much! I was so disappointed that they didn't win!
    Margie is a rock-star! She is such an amazing woman! Luke was just a young man who had to overcome some odds, but still on the whole - a typical, competitive 20 yr old! I thought they were a great team and I loved their mother/son relationship! This is experience will be something they treasure forever!

FORT Fogey

Sorry--but whining that "We should have won because of our "special problems" does not make me think--"Wow--what a great competitor!"

It makes me think "spoiled" and "raised with a false sense of entitlement."

Quote Originally Posted by steppemaster;3446448;
    Sorry--but whining that "We should have won because of our "special problems" does not make me think--"Wow--what a great competitor!"
    Luke is a punk and hypocrite. He pukes all the "death people can do anything" crap yet plays his "special problems" card like punk that he is!

I was disappointed that they lost. They were so far ahead in the surfboard challenge. Margie knocked everything out of the park that she did, she is very strong. I think Luke comes across as whiny when he is frustrated, but I think that is from being deaf.
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by pfeifferdcat;3446520;
    I was disappointed that they lost. They were so far ahead in the surfboard challenge. Margie knocked everything out of the park that she did, she is very strong. I think Luke comes across as whiny when he is frustrated, but I think that is from being deaf.

Sorry--not sure I understand. What would we call the same behavior in someone who wasn't deaf?

You know, I've been doing a lot of thinking about the comments on Luke, and have made some of my own observations watching him.

Yes, I agree that his comment post show about them winning due to his "special problems" is not right. Sorry - as much as I loved their enthusiasm, it STILL is a contest, and people are going to win and lose - one has to overcome that obstacle. Christy did that on "Survivor," such as finding ways to be able to read people's lips during the night and such. Her downfall was being wishy-washy in her decisions - a dangerous thing to be in that game.

Plus - a memory is NOT a special problem (unless he had been concussed during the race and we didn't know), and Luke lost the race because he a. couldn't remember the scorpions (possibly because Margie did that challenge) and b. he had the reflexology foot massage in the wrong place. Had he kept his cool instead of rushing things when Victor came (He had kept saying "China" as he was searching), he might've actually won and they'd been at the finish line first. That's how they lost the race - fair and square.

Now, his frustrations and how he reacts to things: Sometimes I think it's he feels a bit entitled; other times he just might not know how to react as what a hearing person would see as normal. I know in a slightly different way - I'm hearing, but have my own issues that make the small accomplishments seem to be the best thing to have happen. They're silly things to most people, and I get funny looks celebrating those accomplishments, but that's who I am.

This might have people going "So what? He should be able to understand reactions and mannerisms," but as we saw with him and Jen/Kisha, those gestures can be misinterpreted. Even with lip reading, you can be misunderstood. I have a friend who reads lips and I made a joke, but she misunderstood it because she thought my sarcastic joke was serious - and I forgot to smile, she growled about what happened to me. I had to then apologize and tell her that I was joking about it because the event was silly to begin with.

I have thought of this - and maybe Margie and Luke should consider this. Luke might benefit from having him take a drama class where he can learn how people express themselves in many ways as well as do some lip reading. I saw the drama class work well with a couple of sweet young women who are deaf - my friend and one who was just learning how to lip read, so it could work.

That said - I did feel sorriest for Margie though with them finishing third. She pulls a rickshaw with flat tires, causing her to faint after that leg from the exertion, eats scorpion, larvae, starfish and grasshoppers, and does other really cool things, and they don't win. Phil was right - she definitely was "the Bionic Woman."

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;3447747;
    You know, I've been doing a lot of thinking about the comments on Luke, and have made some of my own observations watching him.

Yes, I agree that his comment post show about them winning due to his "special problems" is not right. Sorry - as much as I loved their enthusiasm, it STILL is a contest, and people are going to win and lose - one has to overcome that obstacle. Christy did that on "Survivor," such as finding ways to be able to read people's lips during the night and such. Her downfall was being wishy-washy in her decisions - a dangerous thing to be in that game.

Plus - a memory is NOT a special problem (unless he had been concussed during the race and we didn't know), and Luke lost the race because he a. couldn't remember the scorpions (possibly because Margie did that challenge) and b. he had the reflexology foot massage in the wrong place. Had he kept his cool instead of rushing things when Victor came (He had kept saying "China" as he was searching), he might've actually won and they'd been at the finish line first. That's how they lost the race - fair and square.

Now, his frustrations and how he reacts to things: Sometimes I think it's he feels a bit entitled; other times he just might not know how to react as what a hearing person would see as normal. I know in a slightly different way - I'm hearing, but have my own issues that make the small accomplishments seem to be the best thing to have happen. They're silly things to most people, and I get funny looks celebrating those accomplishments, but that's who I am.

This might have people going "So what? He should be able to understand reactions and mannerisms," but as we saw with him and Jen/Kisha, those gestures can be misinterpreted. Even with lip reading, you can be misunderstood. I have a friend who reads lips and I made a joke, but she misunderstood it because she thought my sarcastic joke was serious - and I forgot to smile, she growled about what happened to me. I had to then apologize and tell her that I was joking about it because the event was silly to begin with.

I have thought of this - and maybe Margie and Luke should consider this. Luke might benefit from having him take a drama class where he can learn how people express themselves in many ways as well as do some lip reading. I saw the drama class work well with a couple of sweet young women who are deaf - my friend and one who was just learning how to lip read, so it could work.

That said - I did feel sorriest for Margie though with them finishing third. She pulls a rickshaw with flat tires, causing her to faint after that leg from the exertion, eats scorpion, larvae, starfish and grasshoppers, and does other really cool things, and they don't win. Phil was right - she definitely was "the Bionic Woman."
    ITA. Any frustration during the surfboard challenge was based on memory, not lack of hearing. There was nothing aural about that task. Same with the Chekhov (sp?) challenge. Nothing the least bit aural about that one either.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by umass;3446482;
    Luke is a punk and hypocrite. He pukes all the "death people can do anything" crap yet plays his "special problems" card like punk that he is!
    Death is when you are no longer alive
    Deaf is when you cannot hear

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesgal;3448327;
    Death is when you are no longer alive
    Deaf is when you cannot hear

My ancient grandfather used to pronounce it "deef"!!! He definitely marched to the beat of his own deaf drummer!!! And he couldn't hear thunder, either!!! And he had one of those old school hearing aids that used to go off on a sharp, high pitched buzz...and my aunt would always reach over and tap on the hearing aid with her fingernail; they were quite a team to watch! These people had me cracking up on a regular basis. Ah yes....memories...
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by steppemaster;3447692;
    Sorry--not sure I understand. What would we call the same behavior in someone who wasn't deaf?
    I think Jadewarlock explained it better than I. Being deaf, he doean't have the ability to hear how hearing people express their frustrations. Also, we need to remember that he is 20, not all 20 year olds are mature.
    I thought I read somewhere that he does not lip read.
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

+ Reply to Thread