+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Margie & Luke - TAR 14

Re: Margie & Luke - TAR 14

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Speak;3425839;
    Not to discount the dynamics of lip reading...but I got to thinking of something else. That being, I'm reading in some posts that Luke is prelingual deaf. Is this correct? If so, how is it that a prelingual can form some words without having heard before what they are supposed to sound like? Luke has audibly spoken some words that clearly sound legible. One of them is "Mom".
    If I recall correctly, some words can be taught by physically manipulating the mouth and tongue of the deaf person, so in certain respects it would be sort of like learning ASL in that it is a movement rather than a sound.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Lip-reading is by no means an easy accomplishment and is far more difficult and even impossible for many prelingual deaf. Even amongst the postlingual deaf who have had experience in the hearing world it is incredibly difficult. And even those who can lip read, can't lip read everyone.
    Thanks for explaining. Obviously I don't know enough about it and wouldn't have even mentioned it if Margie hadn't commented that he doesn't read lips.

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3425840;
    If I recall correctly, some words can be taught by physically manipulating the mouth and tongue of the deaf person, so in certain respects it would be sort of like learning ASL in that it is a movement rather than a sound.
    I've been pretty amazed at how well he can say some words. There are some prelinguals who do manage, as obviously Luke has, to learn how to sound certain words, however, there are many who never manage this accomplishment.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I love this team. As a mother of a grown daughter and teenaged son (and a pre-teen), it is hard to not step in and get all Shirley McLaine on their butts when someone is messing with your kid!! Hold me back!!

I really liked them at the beginning. Between the past 2 weeks, my admiration has gone down. As a Mom, I do understand how Margie seeks to protect Luke, but she, IMO, has gone way over the top with that. And, because she is coming off so mean spirited, she is even starting to look ugly to me because of her actions.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;3427340;
    I love this team. As a mother of a grown daughter and teenaged son (and a pre-teen), it is hard to not step in and get all Shirley McLaine on their butts when someone is messing with your kid!! Hold me back!!
    Add in the fact that Luke has a disability which required help and attention growing up AND the fact that he's been teased and called dumb his whole life I think Margie does a fine job of holding back.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3427496;
    Add in the fact that Luke has a disability which required help and attention growing up AND the fact that he's been teased and called dumb his whole life I think Margie does a fine job of holding back.
    ITA, the lack of compassion we have for people with true disabilties but if someone has a precieved disability we bend over backwards to give them our empathy. Messed up much?

I have no problem with his disabilites, i learned in this life to treat equally everyone, respect ,love and..dislike...saying that...i think he isn't a very nice person..he's rude and arrogant... and he did push the African American girl... I remember he and his mean spirited mother were the first people to boycott other competitors and no one suspected that, coz how "sweet disabled boy and his strong mom" can be so mean... i don't like them and I really hope they don't win the million dollars...

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

I don't know... considering the stress of the race and everything else, I guess I don't find Margie and Luke to be all that bad. The silliness over the cluebox should REALLY be dropped already though, I'm tired of it from both teams.

But there is one thing that has bothered me ever since the first week. And that was when Luke said something to the effect of 'who would have ever thought a deaf guy could get third?'
    It just seemed to be that Luke has kind of lumped everyone on earth into this ignorant group of people who don't treat people with disabilities with respect. That's as ignorant and unfair to good hearing people as only some are to him. I don't want to be put in the same group with ignorant, ugly, stupid people who think that people with disabilities are somehow inferior. It offended me a bit.

Then, I grew to ADORE Margie and just how great a racer she was. Not only did she kick butt in challenges week after week, but she showed so much patience and kindness with her impatient, somewhat spoiled son.
    But these last two weeks she has really behaved horribly... I'm pretty disappointed in her, but I won't hate her for it. I just respect her as a racer too much.

FORT Fogey

Spockwhat--I don't want him--or anyone putting me into a lump either.

In my posts about Deaf culture and iondividual Deaf people I have triied to be scrupulously fair and speak of each person as an individual. It's too bad that Luke insnt mature enough to do the same--yet. He is in his early twenties. IMO he'll learn at some point that the chip on his shoulder has become a big log that knocks people away from him.

At some point he'll start seeing that people are individuals and he'll start treating them as such.

And now I'll say this--with so trepidation--IMO his attiude may be rhe result of immersion in Deaf cujlture. It's been stated that he's been away at school for several years now. IMO sometimes there is a "Closing of ranks" that can happen in situations like that.

And when people do mingle in the non-Deaf world they find their own attitudes challenged.

It's a complex situation. I think Luke will be able to one day figure it out.

He got himself into this race--I think he can accomplish a lot.

But it surely is time for Margie to step back......
    Last edited by steppemaster; 04-28-2009 at 10:41 PM.

+ Reply to Thread