+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Margie & Luke - TAR 14

Re: Margie & Luke - TAR 14

I really like this team. He acts kinda young, maybe because his mom is right there. They don't argue with each other and have done really well. Would not mind them winning.

FORT Fanatic

I enjoy the dynamics of this team also. I think one of the biggest things to come out of this race for Luke and Margie just might be an unexpected one for both of them however. Luke entered this race as an immature and overprotected deaf young man. He might just come out of it as a very mature, much less protected, deaf man.
    Which is going to be harder? For a mom to let go, or for a kid to not need protection? This is why I enjoy watching this team. I also hope they win, I dont think they will but I can dream.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by albean99;3419233;
    Not always. I don't pamper my boys (now 18 & 21) who've done their own laundry since high school. Having said that I'm not sure how they'd do on TAR but would hope they'd handle adversity better. The problem for me is that I can't understand why he can't read lips. I would think it would be very helpful for him as he makes his way in the world because Margie can't always be there to interpret for him.

I would still like this team to finish high and they've done a great job winning 3 legs.

In some aspects of Deaf Culture it is a badge of honor NOT to read lips.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I say it's a bit of a co-dependency thing, to say the least. Does Luke have any siblings?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by albean99;3419233;
    The problem for me is that I can't understand why he can't read lips. I would think it would be very helpful for him as he makes his way in the world because Margie can't always be there to interpret for him.
    Lip-reading is by no means an easy accomplishment and is far more difficult and even impossible for many prelingual deaf. Even amongst the postlingual deaf who have had experience in the hearing world it is incredibly difficult. And even those who can lip read, can't lip read everyone.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Ok, let me just say this, I would have died 1000 deaths if my mom had spoken up for me at Luke's age the way Margie leapt in to defend her son. There was a very MINOR scrape that Luke got into with Jen. That had nada to do with him being deaf whatsoever. I believe that Jen would have handled herself exactly similarly with any other player who bumped & elbowed her the way he did (for instance, Victor).
    Margie, Luke, you are definitely in the race. Keep your eye on the prize.

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3421474;
    Lip-reading is by no means an easy accomplishment and is far more difficult and even impossible for many prelingual deaf. Even amongst the postlingual deaf who have had experience in the hearing world it is incredibly difficult. And even those who can lip read, can't lip read everyone.

Thank you Rattus! I know that this has been brought up before in some forum, but it just seems to be a difficult concept for some to grasp. From my experience and my understanding, those who have never heard rarely have success with lip reading.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf;3424312;
    Ok, let me just say this, I would have died 1000 deaths if my mom had spoken up for me at Luke's age the way Margie leapt in to defend her son. There was a very MINOR scrape that Luke got into with Jen. That had nada to do with him being deaf whatsoever. I believe that Jen would have handled herself exactly similarly with any other player who bumped & elbowed her the way he did (for instance, Victor).
    Margie, Luke, you are definitely in the race. Keep your eye on the prize.
    My son stopped me from getting into his problems while he was still in grade school. We developed an understanding that if it was time for me to get into it....he would let me know. He only came to me once, for help, and he was still in grade school; I even left work early to deal with it. It frustrated me, but I respected his request. There were several times that I was more than ready to go to war with one of his classmates! Mothers are just different (although I've known at least one father who was wanting to be overprotective. I talked him out of it! The dad was a weenie. )

Margie needs to learn to step back.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker;3424371;
    Thank you Rattus! I know that this has been brought up before in some forum, but it just seems to be a difficult concept for some to grasp. From my experience and my understanding, those who have never heard rarely have success with lip reading.
    Additionlly, lip reading only works when the person talking is looking directly at you. You can't read lips when the talker is looking to the side or facing in another direction. The region, or nation, the person is from also affects the way the lips move in forming words.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Not to discount the dynamics of lip reading...but I got to thinking of something else. That being, I'm reading in some posts that Luke is prelingual deaf. Is this correct? If so, how is it that a prelingual can form some words without having heard before what they are supposed to sound like? Luke has audibly spoken some words that clearly sound legible. One of them is "Mom".

+ Reply to Thread