+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 11/02 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

FORT Fogey

Re: 11/02 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3227586;
    That was Lenny and Karyn. I remember him going to Notre Dame instead of looking for the Arch. I'd be upset too, if I was Karyn!

BTW, since that show, he has married someone else.
    Thanks, poor thing.

Bearcata: Considering I have a friend with a marriage like Kenny and Tina's I have a different perspective. MyTina is always right and badgers MyKenny until he has to agree. Even when MyKenny agrees just to keep the peace MyTina gets upsets because he should always agree with her because it is the right way and she is always right and everyone is wrong. Long story short every time I see MyTina get loud and agressive I see MyKenny shut down and withdrawal. It is the only way he can survive without being mentally battered all the time.
    There are all kind of extremes in this dynamic. More common is the senario that the extroverted partner does not require her husband to agree; she just wants him to step up to the plate and be an active participant in the marriage. The one who withdraws, commonly edits himself to avoid conflict and actually creates the exact situation he is trying to avoid. This is what I see here with the limited footage we get. I did couples counciling for years and this played out time and time again.

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3227934;
    Considering I have a friend with a marriage like Kenny and Tina's I have a different perspective. MyTina is always right and badgers MyKenny until he has to agree. Even when MyKenny agrees just to keep the peace MyTina gets upsets because he should always agree with her because it is the right way and she is always right and everyone is wrong. Long story short every time I see MyTina get loud and agressive I see MyKenny shut down and withdrawal. It is the only way he can survive without being mentally battered all the time.
    I also know someone in a very similar relationship and this is a great synopsis of what I see going on as well. Only difference would be that myKenny doesn't necessarily shut down as much as he just refuses to engage so he deflects.

Also, it doesn't matter how annoyed Tina gets, no one deserves to be subjected to that kind of treatment day in and day out. She needs a reality check.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker;3227949;
    I also know someone in a very similar relationship and this is a great synopsis of what I see going on as well. Only difference would be that myKenny doesn't necessarily shut down as much as he just refuses to engage so he deflects.

Also, it doesn't matter how annoyed Tina gets, no one deserves to be subjected to that kind of treatment day in and day out. She needs a reality check.
    So does he. There are rarely victims in this dynamic. It is created by both participants.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3227997;
    So does he. There are rarely victims in this dynamic. It is created by both participants.
    I agree with all of you and the end result is the same. Ken and Tina should have gotten a divorce; not entered the Amazing Race. While the divorcees give the impression that they never gave their marriages a chance, Ken and Tina have and need to get past the reluctance to be single and just take the plunge.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by dberk;3228090;
    I agree with all of you and the end result is the same. Ken and Tina should have gotten a divorce; not entered the Amazing Race. While the divorcees give the impression that they never gave their marriages a chance, Ken and Tina have and need to get past the reluctance to be single and just take the plunge.
    I agree. The couple across the street are fabulous. Both on their second marriage and Ann says that she and Steve are the same kind of crazy. This is true. They are both type A personality, very bright and do not shy away from conflict (best way to put that!). They are great together. Most often opposites attract and for them they did that the first time around and found themselves in the Tina/Kenny dynamic. They are much happier now. They may both fight a lot but it is over quickly. They engage with each other and their kids in an energetic and nifty way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3227934;
    Considering I have a friend with a marriage like Kenny and Tina's I have a different perspective. MyTina is always right and badgers MyKenny until he has to agree. Even when MyKenny agrees just to keep the peace MyTina gets upsets because he should always agree with her because it is the right way and she is always right and everyone is wrong. Long story short every time I see MyTina get loud and agressive I see MyKenny shut down and withdrawal. It is the only way he can survive without being mentally battered all the time.
    I'm in complete agreement with you, Bearcata. I can't recall seeing a woman as completely controlling as Tina in a very long time. It looks as if Ken is just trying to keep the peace and I can see a few reasons for that.

He may be trying to protect assets accumulated when he was in the NFL. As an offshoot of that, he knows he's on national television. Most pro athletes in major sports are schooled on what to say and not say in public. That's why we always hear, with a few notable exceptions, phrases like, "I was just happy to contribute to the team," or, "Everyone was a part of our victory (or defeat), or "It's all about playing as a team."

In any case, I would anticipate an upcoming divorce although we only see what they show us; we really don't know the dynamics of their relationship. Still, I'd advise him to run.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

LOL, "semi-good looking"

My best friend and her husband fit the Ken and Tina scenario as well. I love her but she is such a control freak and I hate the way she treats him. And he just doesn't deal with it all. He pretends to be off in his own world all the time and plays dumb because he thinks it's easier than fighting with her. It's unfortunate because I think deep down she really wants him to stand up to her and be a man but I think he's too intimidated.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

Damn. For some reason my DVR is not recognizing that I have this program scheduled. Missed 3 episodes. On one of them, I happened to be there and noticed it was not recording, albeit 15 minutes in. The second I turned the DVR on it began recording. It's like it had to be woken up.
    Me: "HEY DVR!!! AMAZING RACE???? LET'S GO!!!???"
    DVR: "Oh. Right. (Snort) (Yawn). Sorry".
    I guess I should delete and resched. Panasonic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Speak;3229561;
    Damn. For some reason my DVR is not recognizing that I have this program scheduled. Missed 3 episodes. On one of them, I happened to be there and noticed it was not recording, albeit 15 minutes in. The second I turned the DVR on it began recording. It's like it had to be woken up.
    Me: "HEY DVR!!! AMAZING RACE???? LET'S GO!!!???"
    DVR: "Oh. Right. (Snort) (Yawn). Sorry".
    I guess I should delete and resched. Panasonic.
    I've had problems like that with my Panasonic. Especially with Lost, for some reason. One thing that helps is just don't turn it off (and deactivate automatic shut-off so it'll stay on). That really helps.

Of course, a week ago my DVR totally died, and now it's with Panasonic for them to try to fix. So I'm back to the VCR.

Watch the Race episodes you missed at the CBS site.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast