+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 10/26 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Re: 10/26 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;3223550;
    Wait a minute...why didn't Terence and Sarah's 30 minute penalty get applied on this leg?
    Well, Phil said that it didn't affect the outcome of this leg...maybe the producers didn't want to waste a penalty on these two if it wasn't going to do any damage.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Aww...Aja & Ty eliminated.

peachroses

maybe the rules are different for speeding tickets............ I liked Aja and Ty..... but it was almost obvious they would never catch up.... they started out 9 hours behind and really needed to be on that equalizer flight....

the only team left that i like is mom and son....... besides them I don't want any of the others to win, but they will......
    Because I said so ....

for Nick & Starr coming in first!

This was an okay episode. I hope these episodes start getting better because I'm not really getting into this season as I have with past ones.

But what I did love was that they showed a lot of the Cambodian culture in this episode. The temples were beautiful, especially the one they used for the pit stop.

Kelly & Christy are hilarious! Even though they're not so likable when they start to make rivals with other teams, they are absolutely the comic relief of this season. Some highlights for me were when they got to the dentist and thought that they had to take the girl's teeth, and their reaction to getting fifth.

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3223515;
    Starr just blew it for them. How would she know whether they're going the wrong way? You would think seeing the other trucks behind them would make her think they were headed in the right direction.
    Nick & Starr were so far ahead that they didn't see any teams for a while. That made Starr worry, which is why she stopped to ask if they were going the right direction. Then Nick saw the other trucks coming in and told her to come on the truck again.
    Last edited by CrossingGuard; 10-27-2008 at 12:53 AM.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;3223550;
    Wait a minute...why didn't Terence and Sarah's 30 minute penalty get applied on this leg?
    My guess is that the time they unfairly made by going too fast was cancelled out by the quality time they spent at the side of the road with the cop. Without an unfair time advantage to penalize them at the end of this leg they just needed to crack the rules whip by way of the later start. They had already gotten a smackdown (bitchslap?) by Karma for mocking the teams they passed in the boat only to have their excess speed cause their motor to overheat within sight of their goal.

The divorcees make it so hard to like them. Their comments to each other about Dallas and his mom were so unnecessary and meanspirited. When Tina gets her divorce from Ken these 3 can hang together and be BFFs.

Aja/Ty were off of my radar throughout the race. Usually I actively dislike the whole "long distance dating" business, but never felt anything special for these two. They are good looking and seem nice, but their racing skills were negatively affected by the fact that they are basically strangers to each other.

I liked Dallas' mom saying "It's just mud." even though I would have been more grossed out by it than he was.

GO PHILLIES!!!!!!

It's always been against the rules to break the law. Since Terence got pulled over the cops for breaking the speed limit, he broke the law, therefore he broke the rules. And that is why they got the penalty.

The penalty was given to them on this leg, but still would have gotten third, regardless of the 30-min penalty. But they will have to leave the pit stop 30 min later, so it will definitely affect them.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3223630;
    It's always been against the rules to break the law. Since Terence got pulled over the cops for breaking the speed limit, he broke the law, therefore he broke the rules. And that is why they got the penalty.

The penalty was given to them on this leg, but still would have gotten third, regardless of the 30-min penalty. But they will have to leave the pit stop 30 min later, so it will definitely affect them.
    I seem to remember in the first season there were two teams that sped. They were assessed a time penalty at the start of the next leg of the race, not the leg they checked in. I think it was something like 3-5 minutes per mile over the speed limit.

Someone at home noticed that Terrance and Sarah were off to the side when another team checked in though, so I wondered if they were assessed a time penalty at the time too. So, basically, I see it as one of three possibilities:

1. They were assessed a double penalty - 30 mins. at check-in plus another 30 at the start because they got a ticket for speeding (as it costs CBS money to pay it off), or just for breaking the law by speeding and getting pulled over. This case, the first 30 was for the ticket and the second was 3 minutes per KM over the speed limit (10).

2. They didn't know about the ticket at check in, so when the producers were told about it courtesy of the camera man, the team was given the penalty at the beginning of the next leg. This one seems unlikely though given the way that one snippet at check-in of them standing off to the side as a team behind them checked in.

3. As someone said, Aja and Ty were so far behind it didn't factor into the standings and instead of letting Terence and Sarah get off in spite of breaking the law to get an advantage, stuck it to them for the next leg - where that 30 mins. could mean being eliminated from the race.

That said, if it is number three, I still think they are getting off easier than other teams who were penalized for speeding. (Then again - any penalty was better than Nancy and Emily's penalty first season for not doing a detour - 24 hour penality - basically disqualifying the team even though Joe and Bill really should've been eliminated for relaxing too much and thinking they had it made when they got that fast forward).
    Last edited by jadewarlock; 10-27-2008 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;3223633;
    I seem to remember in the first season there were two teams that sped. They were assessed a time penalty at the start of the next leg of the race, not the leg they checked in. I think it was something like 3-5 minutes per mile over the speed limit.

Someone at home noticed that Terrance and Sarah were off to the side when another team checked in though, so I wondered if they were assessed a time penalty at the time too. So, basically, I see it as one of three possibilities:

1. They were assessed a double penalty - 30 mins. at check-in plus another 30 at the start because they got a ticket for speeding (as it costs CBS money to pay it off), or just for breaking the law by speeding and getting pulled over. This case, the first 30 was for the ticket and the second was 3 minutes per KM over the speed limit (10).

2. They didn't know about the ticket at check in, so when the producers were told about it courtesy of the camera man, the team was given the penalty at the beginning of the next leg. This one seems unlikely though given the way that one snippet at check-in of them standing off to the side as a team behind them checked in.

3. As someone said, Aja and Ty were so far behind it didn't factor into the standings and instead of letting Terence and Sarah get off in spite of breaking the law to get an advantage, stuck it to them for the next leg - where that 30 mins. could mean being eliminated from the race.

That said, if it is number three, I still think they are getting off easier than other teams who were penalized for speeding. (Then again - any penalty was better than Nancy and Emily's penalty first season for not doing a detour - 24 hour penality - basically disqualifying the team even though Joe and Bill really should've been eliminated for relaxing too much and thinking they had it made when they got that fast forward).
    I looked on Wikipedia, and it says that Frank & Margarita and Joe & Bill checked into the pit stop first and second, respectively. But they were both assessed a 30-min because they read a clue wrong (I'm not sure how they read it wrong, Wiki doesn't say ). But no one checked in during that allotted time, so the standings remained as they were.

I'm thinking Ex. 2 was what happpened. The production team probably didn't know that they broke the law until a cameraguy told them, which is why Phil talked to them after everyone checked in. At the end of the episode, Phil's narration told us, the viewers, that the 30-min penalty didn't affect the final standings and that Terence & Sarah were still 3rd. The only thing that the penalty affects is that Terence & Sarah will have to leave the pit stop 30 minutes later.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3223641;
    I looked on Wikipedia, and it says that Frank & Margarita and Joe & Bill checked into the pit stop first and second, respectively. But they were both assessed a 30-min because they read a clue wrong (I'm not sure how they read it wrong, Wiki doesn't say ). But no one checked in during that allotted time, so the standings remained as they were.

I'm thinking Ex. 2 was what happpened. The production team probably didn't know that they broke the law until a cameraguy told them, which is why Phil talked to them after everyone checked in. At the end of the episode, Phil's narration told us, the viewers, that the 30-min penalty didn't affect the final standings and that Terence & Sarah were still 3rd. The only thing that the penalty affects is that Terence & Sarah will have to leave the pit stop 30 minutes later.
    Okay, so I may have been wrong about this situation.

So I went back to CBS.com to watch the end of the episode again, and Phil said that Terence & Sarah's 30-min penalty did not affect the outcome of this leg.

BUT...

I checked out the recap on the official site, and this is what it said:

WINNERS AGAIN
    Stepping onto the mat in first place at Bayon Temple, siblings Nick & Starr cheered at their victory while Phil rewarded them with a trip for two from Travelocity to St. John. On the win, Nick commented, "It brought me back to that first leg when we came in first place. We did it once and we did it again. It wasn't just a fluke. Starr and I are a team to be reckoned with."

Toni & Dallas snagged second place just ahead of Terence & Sarah while Ken & Tina ran to the mat in fourth place just ahead of Kelly & Christy. However, a thirty-minute time penalty was assessed to Terence & Sarah for their speeding violation in New Zealand, so they fell to fifth place allowing Ken & Tina to move up to third place and Kelly & Christy to fourth.
    Okay, now I'm confused.

I guess when Phil said that it didn't affect the outcome, he was saying that it didn't change Aja & Ty's elimination.

I think it means with the 30 minute penalty they will be leaving fifth instead of third.

+ Reply to Thread