+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
Results 71 to 77 of 77

Thread: 11/18 show **** SPOILERS ****

  1. #71
    Tivoaholic Tivoer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    122

    Re: 11/18 show **** SPOILERS ****

    Quote Originally Posted by dberk;2679112;
    On the other hand, I was greatly offended by the comment made by the Braniacs (bro/sister) that "Coming to Africa is like coming home." Clearly more of a comment they felt they should make rather than one based in truth. It's also an insult to the country that provided them with the educational and occupational opportunities Africa wouldn't have.
    I wasn't offended by it, but definately agree that it was something they said "out of habit". Every time the teams travel to Africa or any place that has reference to the slaves, it's always gimmicky to me. I always wonder why don't the Christians take a moment to ponder when they've traveled through Egypt about how their ancestors were forced into slavery to build those beautiful sites? Or is it a matter of time erasing the past? Why is one more or less important than another?

    It's sort of like being ok to "hate" a team because of how they act...why is that ok? Is it ok to hate them because they hate others? Vicious circle.

  2. #72
    FORT Fanatic ChristoferHawke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    495

    Re: 11/18 show **** SPOILERS ****

    Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;2677252;
    Can't believe it started on time.

    That Rooney guy pointlessly complained about the holidays for 5 full minutes. I have a suspicion he's used as time filler on 60 minutes.
    "That Rooney Guy" has been dead for years. That's just a muppet.

  3. #73
    FORT Fanatic ChristoferHawke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    495

    Re: 11/18 show **** SPOILERS ****

    Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;2677306;
    Oh, gawd! I'm sick just thinking about drinking that camel milk.
    Ms Froggy, it's much better if you let it ferment and get good and chunky and sour. Then it has quite a kick!!!!

  4. #74
    Premium Member DesertRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Reno hell
    Posts
    3,483

    Re: 11/18 show **** SPOILERS ****

    Quote Originally Posted by dberk;2679112;
    On the other hand, I was greatly offended by the comment made by the Braniacs (bro/sister) that "Coming to Africa is like coming home." Clearly more of a comment they felt they should make rather than one based in truth. It's also an insult to the country that provided them with the educational and occupational opportunities Africa wouldn't have.
    Every time I travel to Italy I feel like I'm going home, even though I'm only half-Italian and even if my father left Italy because he clearly tought Canada provided him with more opportunities at that time. I'm sure the brother/sister's upbringing included a lot of African culture, just like mine included Italian customs and values. That is what makes me feel at home in Italy (as well as in Canada, mind you).

  5. #75
    Ms Ambusher dberk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Age
    56
    Posts
    4,461

    Re: 11/18 show **** SPOILERS ****

    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2683031;
    Every time I travel to Italy I feel like I'm going home, even though I'm only half-Italian and even if my father left Italy because he clearly tought Canada provided him with more opportunities at that time. I'm sure the brother/sister's upbringing included a lot of African culture, just like mine included Italian customs and values. That is what makes me feel at home in Italy (as well as in Canada, mind you).
    But you probably still have family over there. My guess is that you also speak Italian. Most importantly you are only a first generation Canadian so you do have roots in both places. The Braniacs' ancestors probably left Africa hundreds of years ago; just like mine left Germany. I'm proud to be called an American and relieved that my family didn't have to face Hitler or the Soviets firsthand. I'll get off my soap box now, but I just think that Americans need to count their blessings more.

    I can't believe that 60Minutes replaced Rooney with a Muppet look-a-like!

  6. #76
    Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    On the edge
    Posts
    6,289

    Re: 11/18 show **** SPOILERS ****

    Didn't the brother and sister mention at the top of the season that they were from Ethiopia? Although probably not actually born there, they may well be first gen Americans. Obviously they identify with their Ethiopian heritage.

    On the other hand, I'm a first gen American. I still have family I visit in Italy. To be honest, when I go to Italy I don't feel like I'm going home. I feel more comfortable there than in any other country, (aside from here in America) but there's no doubt. I feel at home when I come back to the USA.

    Different strokes...
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

  7. #77
    FORT Fogey KeepItReal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,488

    Re: 11/18 show **** SPOILERS ****

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2683308;
    Didn't the brother and sister mention at the top of the season that they were from Ethiopia? Although probably not actually born there, they may well be first gen Americans. Obviously they identify with their Ethiopian heritage.

    On the other hand, I'm a first gen American. I still have family I visit in Italy. To be honest, when I go to Italy I don't feel like I'm going home. I feel more comfortable there than in any other country, (aside from here in America) but there's no doubt. I feel at home when I come back to the USA.

    Different strokes...
    Yup, they mentioned that they were from Ethiopa at the beginning of the episode. I also thought at first that they meant their parents were from Ethiopia, but they didn't say "our parents are from/our family is originally from Ethiopia". Perhaps they are originally from there and came here as youngsters.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.