+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Ronald & Christina - Season 12

Who, me?

Re: Ronald & Christina - Season 12

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;2662051;
    YES! Keep on working. Intolerable man. It appears he came on this race to "teach" his daughter since he missed her formative years and thank god for that. He was posing as some zen master wannabe.
    /snip/ What the heck was that about other than posing as an observer to his daughters abilities.
    I think it is nerves. The man is very verbal.

In the premier episode, he was singing, he was exclaiming. He was probably doing a lot more verbalizing but because it wasn't as dramatic as bickering the editors weren't showing it.

In this past weeks episode, the race's honeymoon period is over. They were behind and he was stressing out. I'll bet you his is the personality type that verbalizes during anxiety. He is a parent who hasn't learned the PC diplomatic communication skills that his daughter has so he focuses on "instructing" her as the way to relieve the anxiety and stress of the race.

He was annoying as hell to listen to and I wanted to hit the mute button but I also wanted to hear how she reacted to him. She's one helluva young lady with a lot of good people skills which showed in the ways she tried to talk to him: she didn't lash back like some of the bickering couples do. Clearly he loves his daughter very much, thinks highly of what she's done in her life but I hope as he watches the race that he sees just that much more of what character and strength she has in the way she deals with him on the race.

He's still annoying as hell to watch but I hope they go far anyway. They are still less annoying than all of the other male/female couples (except for the Goths: who are still fun to watch).

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphrella;2662070;
    I think it is nerves. The man is very verbal.

In the premier episode, he was singing, he was exclaiming. He was probably doing a lot more verbalizing but because it wasn't as dramatic as bickering the editors weren't showing it.

In this past weeks episode, the race's honeymoon period is over. They were behind and he was stressing out. I'll bet you his is the personality type that verbalizes during anxiety. He is a parent who hasn't learned the PC diplomatic communication skills that his daughter has so he focuses on "instructing" her as the way to relieve the anxiety and stress of the race.

He was annoying as hell to listen to and I wanted to hit the mute button but I also wanted to hear how she reacted to him. She's one helluva young lady with a lot of good people skills which showed in the ways she tried to talk to him: she didn't lash back like some of the bickering couples do. Clearly he loves his daughter very much, thinks highly of what she's done in her life but I hope as he watches the race that he sees just that much more of what character and strength she has in the way she deals with him on the race.

He's still annoying as hell to watch but I hope they go far anyway. They are still less annoying than all of the other male/female couples (except for the Goths: who are still fun to watch).
    Definately verbal but the biggest irritation with me is what he chooses to say! It seemed to me that he was posing as some wise master putting his daughter though tests and teachings. I got no sense of a desire to get to know his daughter or operate as a team. And he had no business disciplining the kid in the airport.

Well, Ron reminds me of what my father was like in some ways and many ways. And I can imagine what it was like then to suddenly be together after all the time your dad is always off at work or out with his buddies. But you don't hate him for it, after all, he still makes the effort to connect with you. You still love him with all your heart, just that you don't feel the kind of closeness you think you should be getting.

So he thinks he can ditch vault better. Well, if the mother was there, I bet she would have something to say like, "Yes, dear, but I still don't see you doing it."

FORT Regular

I always like to see grown men treating their adult offspring like "children"......theres a Doctor Phil episode with this families name on it.....

Yikes, was I wrong about Ronald! However, I still want to see this team do well, because I REALLY like Christina-- even more now, seeing what she has had to deal with-- and think that there is a small chance Ron can see some of the error of his ways a bit more if they last longer. He should be so proud to have a daughter like her; hearing him talk to her the way he did made me see red.

FORT Newbie

Ronald was so irritating the other night. Unfortunately, this is a typical Chinese cultural thing. if you watch the Joy Luck Club, one or two of the mother's was very similar to Ronald. The parents mean well, they want their offsprings to do the best they can (and they are proud when their kids do well, but they'll never show it). I was really impressed with Christina in how well she handled her father. She kept her emotions together and discussed issues rather than yell, scream and/or cry. As for Ronald, he is a much better communicator than my parents and he was willing to listen - unlike many chinese families I know.

I am often asked why Chinese are so successful. Well, if you had to hear a voice like Ronald's all your life, you'd try to be successful just to shut your parents up.

brown and red and nasty.
    Bikini coffee shop or in the ER dying of toxic shock syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by 512mom;2664603;
    Ronald was so irritating the other night. Unfortunately, this is a typical Chinese cultural thing.
    It definitely is par for the course in a lot of Chinese families between immigrants and their first generation children. Christina has an absurd amount of patience and deals with it very well and to Ronald's credit, it at the very least occurs to him that he might be acting like a cripplingly, suffocating douchebag when it comes to his daughter. That alone makes him an exception rather than the rule in a lot of similar situations.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by 512mom;2664603;
    Ronald was so irritating the other night. Unfortunately, this is a typical Chinese cultural thing. if you watch the Joy Luck Club, one or two of the mother's was very similar to Ronald. The parents mean well, they want their offsprings to do the best they can (and they are proud when their kids do well, but they'll never show it). I was really impressed with Christina in how well she handled her father. She kept her emotions together and discussed issues rather than yell, scream and/or cry. As for Ronald, he is a much better communicator than my parents and he was willing to listen - unlike many chinese families I know. I am often asked why Chinese are so successful. Well, if you had to hear a voice like Ronald's all your life, you'd try to be successful just to shut your parents up.
    I do agree that generally speaking this can be an asian trait. But it also can be about birth order. She's the youngest in an asian family. Being first born does have it's advantages in this regard.

I don't get the "Asian trait" thing with Ron. Living in Hawaii, many many of our friends are Asian. My best girlfriend's father immigrated from China when he was a child and acted nothing like Ron. In fact, being pretty immersed in the Asian culture(s) for most of my life, I can say that Ron does not typify the Asian male, either older/younger, or with/without children. He is, however, a blowhard who pontificates his "wisdom" over his daughter in particular (and anyone else within hearing) by trying to sound like intelligent, but actually comes across as an insecure man, showing off for the cameras, but actually saying nothing of any importance. This is not indicative of Asian males any more than Donald Trump's enormous ego is indicative of white men.

thes two will stick around longer than people think.

im hoping so if only for christinas sake.

+ Reply to Thread