+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920

Thread: 3/18 Show Discussion Thread *ET/CT TIME DELAY*

I finally had a chance to see the my entire tape and I must said Eric's comments about old woman past their prime totally, totally, offended me. Regardless that they used that comparison in reference to Eric's utter contempt of Team Guido, that pharse shows the common mindset of our society where older women are considered useless and discardable. That contempt for older women is very evident on Survivor Fiji with all the people that have been voted out have been women. All I want to do is stomp all over Eric's body with 3 inch stiletto heels. Poopie on you Eric.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

That was one of the interesting detours they've had. If teams took enough time to consider, the pamper task was easily the fastest and least tiring. You need at best only 3 customers to nailpolish.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but on April 4th, the amazing race is airing the 7th and 8th leg back to back. From 8 until 10 EST. Just wanted to mention this for those of you who tape or DVR it.

About choosing the right detour

Quote Originally Posted by scsi commando;2287763;
    If teams took enough time to consider, the pamper task was easily the fastest and least tiring. You need at best only 3 customers to nailpolish.
    Respectfully, commander, I don't know if I agree with that.

When my girlfriend and I watch TAR, we always try to determine "which one of us would do the road block based on the first clue (and then how it would have turned out once we see what the task was)" and "which of the detours should we do (and then decide if we'd made the right decision.)"

Over the years, we've basically been trained by the TAR course constructors that taking the more physically demanding task is usually the better option when the other task is based on luck. (And the physically demanding or potentially scary task is ALWAYS the better option when the other task is simply "less physically demanding or not scary.")

It's about variables.

The coal task had only two variables:
    1) How fast can you bag coal and sew up the bags?
    2) How hard is it to find the place you have to deliver one bag of coal to?

The nail painting task had more variables IN THEORY:
    1) Would anyone know that typically nail painting in Mozambique is done by men?
    2) What is the general attitude towards Americans?
    3) What does the money look like and is it easy to figure out how much you're getting?
    4) How much is the amount of money you have to earn, compared to the relative economic level of the region?
    5) What is the competition for nail painting--and how many people will actually want their nails painted?
    6) What is the typical price for nail painting--and how many people whose nails you have to paint will it take to raise the amount of money you have to earn?
    6) Have the course creators fixed the "Vietnamese market flaw" in these "sell X amount of Y" challenges? (The flaw being the team that realized that they weren't bound to charge market value for their goods--they could outrageously undercut the prices of the locals.)

When my girlfriend and I considered the choice in this particular detour, we liked the coal task until they added the "find a specified house to deliver one bag to." We still picked it--but I wondered if that was the right choice.

Then, when Phil said that the nailpainting in Mozambique is typically done by men--something that no one, save those who have spent time in Mozambique, would know--I thought "whew! Glad we didn't pick THAT one." Not because I'm unwilling to paint nails--but I would have assumed that my girlfriend would be the one to do it...darn these traditional American gender roles anyway!

Then--I sat and watched Team Guido and Team Cha Cha Cha choose the coal task...and I thought "Wow--they're playing smart...but this time, they were tricked out of taking a task they would have done well at..."

Then--I sat and watched the two teams that chose nail painting, Charla & Mirna and the BQ's, and I laughed...because I knew what Phil told me, that MEN do nailpainting in Mozambique...and because they didn't know that, they thought they were doing something easy for them as traditionally-American-gender-role-assuming women. I sat back and prepared to enjoy them being ignored by everyone and getting frustrated because no one would want them to paint their nails.

...except...that didn't happen.

Both Charla & Mirna and the BQ's breezed through the task--and I have to give Mirna credit for coming up with the "Hollywood" idea. THEY HAVE CAMERAS FOLLOWING THEM, meaning that they become a novelty...and that trumped any hesitation about having their nails painted by the non-traditional gender (in Mozambique) for doing so.

Teri & Ian got lucky by being unlucky. They made the right decision--to do the task that you're taken to--and were rewarded for it, even if it wasn't the task that they chose to do...and certainly having had C&M and the BQ's get the general interest level in the market up made it easy for them to get their task done.

And the coal task? Heavy lifting, dirty, and hard (scooping coal=hard, sewing bags=hard, carrying bag=hard, finding house=hard)--and my girlfriend and I would have been doing that one, had we been there...

And I think we'd have tried to hug Phil, too...but it wouldn't have been as laughably cute as it was when Oswald tried it--Phil's reaction and the chase that ensued was definitely one of my favorite TAR moments ever!

...but, the bottom line...all things considered, I'm not sure that it was obvious that the nailpainting task was the right one...at least, it wasn't until we saw how much faster and easier it turned out to be.

And the teams certainly didn't know that when they made THEIR choices.

pg--seattle

Quote Originally Posted by katgib13;2288332;
    Not sure if this has been posted yet, but on April 4th, the amazing race is airing the 7th and 8th leg back to back. From 8 until 10 EST. Just wanted to mention this for those of you who tape or DVR it.
    That's April 1st Sunday. April 4th is Wed.

katgib13 you beat me to the punch. Not everyone checks here so I set up a new thread so everyone will see it.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 03-20-2007 at 05:47 PM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey
    That was my thought as well. The people who took coal were willing to wear themselves out, and so it could be thought that if they worked hard they could get ahead (it's not even about physical ability, though that can help). This time, though, the lazy people got way ahead because the task was ridiculously easy.

I also think that the two girl teams did a lot more nails than Teri and Ian. When they started, they told the first girl it would cost 30-whatever the name of the money is. She said that was too much, but did say she would give them 20. The other girl said she would let them do it for 10. So they only had to paint two girls' nails.

It looked liked the girl teams were only getting 1 or 2 coins per person and ended up painting a lot more nails.

I wish we had seen Danny and Oswald doing the nails. Even if THEY thought it would have been a 'girly' task, they probably would have had a long line waiting to get the nails done. But then we would never have seen that hilarious pit stop!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2288561;
    That's April 1st Sunday. April 4th is Wed.

katgib13 you beat me to the punch. Not everyone checks here so I set up a new thread so everyone will see it.
    Thanks! I read the numbers backwards...lol. I swear it can't be April yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2287141;
    I finally had a chance to see the my entire tape and I must said Eric's comments about old woman past their prime totally, totally, offended me. Regardless that they used that comparison in reference to Eric's utter contempt of Team Guido, that pharse shows the common mindset of our society where older women are considered useless and discardable. That contempt for older women is very evident on Survivor Fiji with all the people that have been voted out have been women. All I want to do is stomp all over Eric's body with 3 inch stiletto heels. Poopie on you Eric.
    I always love your comments, Bearcata. I also felt that Eric was despicable, but do not think he is worth possibly damaging a pair of heels over :-)
    But seriously, yes, it is disgusting that those attitudes are still socially acceptable. I just read about an extensive psychological study that claimed this generation (born 1970 - 1999) is literally the most self-centered and narcissistic ever studied. Maybe once they start to age they will decide such attitudes are bigoted and socially unacceptable, ha! Hope I'm still alive to see that happen.

My other comment about this episode is that as usual I was praying for Charla and Mirna to lose. I cannot stand them and the stupid fake, patronizing broken English accents they use when talking to foreigners. Nails on a chalkboard!

+ Reply to Thread